Tuiasosopo to Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vinsjets, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Sounds good to me...Make Clemens earn that no.2 spot and in the meanwhile he has another veteran to seek for council. Winning the No.2 will be a good test to see his progression....against a late round rookie it probably wouldn't be as much as a challenge.

2. GreenMachine

Only Jets fans would be bitching about a 3rd string QB....

What's next? Debating the value of James Dearth?

3. Ambrose

Ambrose New Member

I think the move makes sense for the Jets even if it wouldnt make sense for another team.

Chad Pennington, barring injury is going to be the opening game starter. This just reinforces that. If they wanted competition for Chad they would have gone after, and spent money on, a better FA QB.

Kellen Clemens, barring injury, goes into the season as the 2nd QB on the team. This move also reinforces that. If the Jets didnt have faith in Clemens they would have gone after a bigger named back up QB (more expensive too) or kept Ramsey and paid him. The Jets spent a 2nd round pick on Clemens and this move seems to support the idea that they are pleased with his progress. He doesnt need a guy to push him because I guarantee you he's looking at taking over at some point during the season. The Jets have no reason to pick up a guy that will compete with Clemens. He is clearly the heir apparant.

Tui was picked up going into camp to be the designated clipboard holder. He will only play if Pennington gets hurt and then Clemens gets hurt or struggles mightily (and if the Jets decide they dont want to pursue Brad Smith as an option at backup QB). He is like a low cost, short term insurance policy on Chad, mainly. Tui is a good fit for the Jets (though obviously not for most teams) because the Jets have a more injury prone starting QB and an inexperienced 2nd string QB than most teams.

If Tui starts games for the Jets this season wins and losses wont really be an issue. He'll be brought in to do the equivalent of what a long reliever does in blowouts -- take on for the team and try to keep things from becoming more embarrassing.

4. KleckoNamathToon

Hey, I think James Dearth is the best, most consistent long snapper in the league! Even if he does look like Quasimoto.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Clemens was a 2nd Round pick (#49 overall), so we must have had beaucoup confidence in this guy and seen something we really liked. True, he hasn't done anything much to prove he can start, but nor has he exhibited inability either. I watched him in person at TC and I'll tell you, the kid has a great arm, a lot of poise and good "command presence."

I like Chad, but with every game I've always got the feeling that he's one good sack away from being carted off to the X-Ray Machine. That being the case, I think having 3 active QB's (while not what SOME teams are doing) is something THIS team should be doing.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

James Dearth unlike Pennington doesn't miss most of the games the Jets play and our No. 2 hasn't played any significant time.

7. GreenMachine

WTF does Dearth have to do with Chad..

Biggs, sometimes I wonder if you have a Pennington voodoo doll next to your desk.

8. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

It must be a quiet offseason if this move is getting this much debate. There's a reason career 3rd stringers are constantly moving from team to team and almost interchangeable. It's because they are not that important. Kliff Kingsbury is interchangeable with Tim Hasselback with Jaime Martin with Luke McKown etc. And we just signed someone who is actually better than those type of guys who at one point was Oaklands QB of the future when they had Gannon and it's being portrayed as a big deal. It's nothing more than filling out the roster as much as possible to create competition, which Mangini has said a million times. Taking Drew Stanton in the 2nd round would lead me to question the FO's faith in Clemens, not signing a guy who if history has proven anything is 50/50 to be on the roster in 2008.

9. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

Pennington's a rock. Dont you guys remember the Houston game. Chad knocked down but then rising to his feet and pumping up the crowd.
    His injury days are over.

Signing Tui means we will not be bringing in Vinny.
    This is the 1st huge mistake the Tangini error has made.

Vinny should be on this team for nostolgic purposes.

10. GreenMachine

You should add a sarcastic smilie...:rofl2:

11. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

James Dearth is a god among men.

12. Gator

Gator Active Member

I like the signing, from a name standpoint. Every NFL team should have one guy with a Polynesian name, and one pass rusher with an African name. We have Puouha, but who knows if he makes it to week 1? In the draft, the Jets should be on the lookout for any pass rushers named Nobubu Obulyeyee

13. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Ganggreen experts answer me this ...

Does his signing mean he is a virtual lock for the final 07 roster?

or is he just being brought in as competition for one of the backup spots/

Don't the Jets usually invite 4-5 QBs to camp and should we expect some other schlub before camp starts?

Does anyone else, like myself, feel the Jets have their eye on a mid-round QB to be developed along with KC. Not such a bad idea considering how fast a team can go in the toilet without some talent and depth at that position.

14. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I did not even ready your post, just saw your avtar and i needed to say that it is really rough. He was a 3rd round pick, give him some slack.

15. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Who do you want as our #3 QB? should we sign David carr when he is released? 3rd string QBs aren't good anywhere, any team that loses it's top 2 will be screwed and most will be screwed losing their #1(we might be as we don't know if Clemens can play yet).[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your comments and quite frankly the Jets know this as well as anybody. Bringing in Tuiasosopo to challenge Clemens in camp will not answer the question whether KC can play or not. The problem is any way you slice it we will either have an unknown as backup or a QB that is not that good as backup.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I sure hope so...man I wish we had bollywood back...he's the bees knees as far as #3's go, I'd go as far to say he's even a boderline #2...WITH a decent amount of starting experience-just what we could use right now-I wonder if Ramsey actually beat him out or was just retained for political reasons and potential (trade and new contract).

17. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

ESPN has this on their headlines below and says this is a 1 year deal, so this clearly means this is competition for Clemens.

And Tui is a STRICT west coast offense QB. Thats the lone thing he can do well in. And he stunk in Oakland because the line stunk.

18. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

If they would bring back phrases like "Hazah!" I would be chanting it right now.

All very good points. Tuiasosopo will be a solid third stringer and I'll love having him as long as he never steps foot on the field :)

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Clemens is the #2 for sure now. I can say I have more confidence in him than the other QB behind Pennington. Last year he was a rookie, and Ramsey was a decent option as a back-up and had experience. Now if Chad would go down, I would stick newly #11 in there no doubt. So I like this signing for Kellen's progress.

:lol: You guys are hilarious sometimes.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeppers. The thing that bothers me most about the slow offseasons is that this is going to be a huge point of debate for people who think the offseason is there for their entertainment.

I'd rather talk about James Dearth's ears.