Tuiasosopo to Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vinsjets, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Borgata

Borgata Active Member

You don't want a rookie behind Clemens because you need someone that can help him out; although I don't want Tui to influence Clemens to much. There is nothing really to comlpain about though cuase what good QB is going to come into this situation with Penny being the starter and Clemens the future?

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

I don't agree with you on much junc, but I agree with you here. People forget that the Jets signed Bryan Thomas and Jerricho Cotchery to extensions, keeping them in house. That cost cap space, they don't stay for free. Then the Jones trade came with a contract extension. And people are dismissing the Coleman signing without even seeing him on the field starting yet. Not to mention the UPGRADE at several coaching positions the Jets made this year, all the while keeping Schotty in house. And this is before the draft. Seems like a pretty good offseason to me for a rebuilding team.

As for Tuiasosopo. Who cares. I would rather have had Tim Rattay. But we are talking 3rd string QB here, and he HAS to be better then Ramsey. If he ever sees the field, that means Penny and Clemens went down, and the Oline collapsed, so Tui on the field would be the LEAST of our problems. So once again, who cares.

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I agree but would call it an "okay" signing. He's no worse than Ramsey, let's put it that way.

But the biggest thing this accomplishes is not having to spend a pick on a QB in Round 6. We can instead take someone with that pick that might contribute more on the field this year than a 3rd QB will contribute.

4. burkettbeststp

burkettbeststp New Member

Bring back Kliff Kingsbury. I understand the signing but he is bad.

5. baamf

baamf Active Member

I don't agree. I too would rather have drafted someone late who has potential and started grooming them. I read an article once about how many teams now don't bother carrying three QBs anymore because the likelihood of using them is low (I'll see if I can dig it up). And if an emergency happens there are usually a few available vets that can be picked up during the season. The only reason to pick up a vet now is so he can start learning the system; but again if he is truly going to be number three the likelihood of needing him is low. We could have waited and if Pennington goes down, Clemens takes over and you could bring in the vet at that point. During games you could have Chad/Clemens with Smith as the emergency guy. In addition, I think the idea of a vet challening Clemens is a farse. If this kid needs competition to get him to play his best at this point in his career then we're doomed anyway. Meanwhile you could bring in a big, strong, raw kid and start grooming him. During the season he is just running the practice team anyway so doesn't cost anything but a roster spot.

I'm afraid the signing of a veteran at this point is a red flag in my mind on the FO's confidence in Clemens....

6. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

yeah i think it was a bad idea to look at Tui because honestly how long is he gonna be around for is he just a roster filler insurance policy guy. we could of found someone better then him. i would of rathered try to pull Vinny T from the pats if thats the case.

7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Tui-drop-the-soap-o

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't know the details of the Tui contract but if he got any guaranteed money it is very, very low which means we could still draft a QB late and if they like him better they can let Tui go. we are not tied to him in any way.

if it was a red flag concerning Clemens they would have signed someon better than Tui.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Mawae and Martin never did get us a SB and just tied up cap money.

10. baamf

baamf Active Member

I don't know, I guess you could also drop a young guy on the P.S as well and only bring him up in an emergency.

Anyway, here are a couple of the articles I was referring to. Interesting to think about...

http://www.nysun.com/article/40602?page_no=2
    http://community.foxsports.com/blog.../29/How_often_do_teams_use_three_quarterbacks

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's true although I really think that mostly relates back to the Vinny injury in 1999. That's the year the Jets were loaded for bear and instead got shot in the foot in game 1.

I'm not a big fan of this move. I think if Tuisasopo had anything to show he'd have shown it in LA in an offense tailored to making the QB look good if he's got what it takes. As always I'll give Tannenbaum and Mangini the benefit of the doubt because they earned it last year.

12. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

well the jets have shown alot interest in trent edwards from Stanford. although i doubt the will draft him now.

13. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The other, possibly far-fetched, line of thought is that whilst they wanted a veteran in camp to push Kellen Clemens, they maybe didn't want anyone with a good chance of beating him out? Ergo sign someone who will never be able to take that #2 job?

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We can lose with great FA talent and we can lose with cheap second teir FA talent just like almost every other team in the NFL. This team just needs to get better and the best way to do that is by upgradeing talent whether by FA, trade, the draft or through player development. We need to be active and smart in all areas.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is dead on. Clemens only motivation should be to become the starter, not to hold onto the 2nd string job.

16. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

You know what, I really like this move. With a good line this guy can be pretty good. Obviously he wont see the field anyway...but a great pick up for a number 3.

17. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I disagree. Tuisasopop and Clemens are both risks - no one knows if either of these guys can win a game with a solid team around them. By having both players, the Jets are covering their bases. If Clemens' feelings are hurt, too friggin bad. If he's worried that now he has to compete for a back-up role instead of the starting job, maybe he should start playing better. And, if he's not up to it, then he's not the guy. Just because Clemens is there and we've read good scouting reports on him and he was drafted in an early round does not mean he's going to be a stud in the NFL.

And having 2 QBs on the Jets makes absolutely no sense - not with brittle Chad as the starter and not when you consider the "Hey, Herm. It's me, Vinny. Just sitting here on my couch. Need a QB?" incident."

I would have preferred Rattay but this is still an upgrade from Ramsey. And now we don't have to worry about the Jets drafting some scrub QB in the 6th round. I like the move.

18. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I think a bigger red flag would have been raised if they had kept Ramsey, in all honesty. Because by ditching Ramsey, they have shown by actions that they were comfortable enough with Clemens to leave him no safety net. Bringing in Tui could be construed as re-establishing that safety net, true, but I think it's safe to say that Ramsey > Tui in league circles.

In the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Tannenbaum tries to package Tui to another team looking for a QB at the end of TC (a la Bollinger to the Vikes).

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

WTF?!...It's nice that we addressed our QB situation, but I'd be much more comfortable with a veteran with a decent amount of starting experience that has proven he can hold the fort and win a few games, like Rattay. Oh, well, I hope we're not just being cheap...and maybe we have that much confidence in St. Kellen.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I could give two shits if Clemens or anyone on the teams "feelings were hurt" about adding players. The only way to develop a QB is to put them in the game and the CS must have faith that Clemens can be the guy or they would have gone after someone better than TUI.