Tuesday August 29 Cutdown Day

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CaptainCap, Aug 27, 2023.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which players you're referring to. The only time that a team receives a compensatory pick is when they have allowed a player they've had under contract on the roster to walk away in FA. They don't receive a comp pick when they waive them. The compensatory picks are awarded the following offseason.

So, for the veteran players that I mentioned who will become FAs next offseason, the Jets could receive comp picks. Whether they do or not depends upon how many FAs the Jets sign and at what contract value. Contract values determine what level of comp pick a team gets. It's tiered, with the higher the contract the higher the comp pick. I believe that 3rd round picks are the highest compensatory picks awarded. I imagine that they will get several compensatory picks for the 2025 season because due to cap constraints they won't be able to be very active in FA.

For any of the young players they waive on the roster cut down, they will not receive any compensatory picks.

dmw likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Of course Rodgers has, but I was pointing out the hypocrisy of the constant criticism of Zach. Many posters refuse to see any positives, any growth, any improvement, they only focus on the negatives, and those are magnified.

LAJet likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Correct I was counting Gipson as part of the 53. I think he’s earned and will be return man, and can stretch field with speed.

The short term IR, plus Echols suspension might allow them to keep a couple more guys very short term, but then right back with same decision unless someone else gets hurt in that span.

I think Brownlee gets the 6th WR spot.
    Ashlyn Davis and Dean get the 2 D spots.

Kuntz, Knight, Surrat, Converse..:they try to keep either short term and/or PS.
    I’d hate to lose Kuntz and Knight.

4. NCJetsfan

We'll see. I like Uzomah a lot. He's always smiling and seems to be a really popular guy on the Jets and is a leader, but his play is declining, and with Ruckert developing, and if they keep Kuntz or Yeboah, and with the crunch on roster spots, I just don't see them being able to keep him even if they want to. For him to stay, he's going to have to play at a much higher level this year than he did last year. His blocking has to improve.

I agree that JD is playing the compensatory picks game, and that is why I think that most of those players I mentioned will be gone next year. We won't be able to be big "players" in FA next offseason, and if most of these guys sign elsewhere, we'll get a hand full of compensatory picks in 2025. I think they only way they keep Uzomah and Mosely is if it would put them in worse cap shape to move on. Even though they'd take a dead money hit of $10.4 million with Mosely, they'd save $11 million on the cap. That's a pretty big savings. With Uzomah, they'd take a $5.9 million dead money hit, but save $6 million on the cap. For a team that's only $15 - $20 under the cap for next season, adding $17 million in cap space would be huge. They wouldn't get any compensatory picks for Uzomah or Mosely, but neither would they if they let them play out their contracts and enter FA. I seriously doubt that any team would have any interest in signing either player 2 years from now, at least not anywhere near their present contract level. Perhaps they'd sign them for the vet minimum, which wouldn't really help the Jets with compensatory picks.

I like Lawson alot, not only because I think he's very good, and seems like a great guy, but because he happily took a pay cut to help the team. Those are the kinds of players one should want to keep. I just don't know if the Jets will be able to keep him financially, especially with the emergence of JJ and McDonald, but we'll see. I'd be glad to have him back.

5. NCJetsfan

I think the Davis ship has sailed. I'd be stunned if he changed his mind and came back this season

I think they probably will put Lawson on short-term IR. That will help with the roster and give them a few more weeks to figure out who they want to keep.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He was talking about Ashtyn Davis

Lon Chaney likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Looks like another year of Ashtyn Davis! He did have a good showing in a recent preseason game though. Trey Dean cut. Hopefully he clears waivers for the practice squad:

Per Zack Rosenblatt...
    The Jets are waiving S Trey Dean and LB Sam Eguavoen, per source. Both are expected to have spots on the practice squad — if Dean clears waivers. I thought Dean showed enough to earn a spot on the 53, but still could come back onto it at some point.

BacktoQueens, NCJetsfan and IDFjet like this.
  8. JetFanInPA

Zonovan Knight cut. Hope they can get him back on the practice squad.

Lot of tough calls to come

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't like this but Davis is a core special teamer I guess.

hornblower and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Everybody loves an underdog and Bam Knight was the underdog I rooted for the most. It sucks to see him get cut. I doubt very seriously he clears waivers, too much talent not to grab. But I hope like he ends up on the PS. Either way, I didn't think we needed Cook because we already had Hall, Carter, and Knight. I saw the writing on the wall. I knew this was coming but it's still a bummer....

burf and IDFjet like this.
  11. JetFanInPA

It is a bummer and I was looking forward to seeing what he could do this year. Definitely showed a lot last year. But they're making a Super Bowl push and their top RB has injury questions still so I appreciate their aggressiveness for a star like Dalvin Cook rather than being satisfied with what they have.

BrooklynJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Hmm…kinda wish we had this attitude at the OT position :)

BacktoQueens and JetFanInPA like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It was the right move. Knight fell off last year and struggled in camp. Cut him now, maybe he finds work elsewhere and wish him luck

Lon Chaney likes this.
  14. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Yup--thought the same thing when I saw Dean was cut--gotta say I thought he was gonna stick.

burf likes this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

pretty sure it's just when they leave via free agency

dmw and abyzmul like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I assumed Brownlee and Gipson would make it. Considering it looks like Brownlee did I sure hope Gibson did too because that’s the one I would have kept if we had to choose between the two.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Brownlee started hot, but then cooled off. Looks like he is the biggest beneficiary of Corey Davis' retirement. We needed a big guy. Without Lazard we have no one even at 6 feet.

19. JetFanInPA

I think Gipson is a lock after his receiving and return performance. He looked really good

20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

He showed promise last year and started the training camp well, but he was absolutely brutal in preseason. With Dalvin now on the roster and 20 year old Izzy, who clearly outplayed him in preseason by a wide margin, avoiding serious injury, we should be good at RB. Hopefully he makes to practice squad, but if not, it's not a big deal.