Trevor not afraid of Jets ...up for challenge

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by BudJet, Dec 16, 2020.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, the presumptive No. 1 overall pick in the 2020 draft, previously has said things that sparked speculation regarding whether he’d stay in school to avoid being drafted by the Jets. On Wednesday, he seemed to put any talk of trying to engineer his next NFL destination to bed when talking about his eventual ascension to the next level of the sport.

“I know some of the stuff I say sounds cliche, but just to have the opportunity to go somewhere, help someone rebuild if that’s what it is or whatever and just win, that’s what — you know, something I love doing,” Lawrence told Dan Patrick. “I think that’s what I’m best at, is winning. Regardless of stats, whatever it is, that’s what I love. So, just to have that chance. Obviously, some places it’ll be more of a challenge than others. But I think I’m up for it, and that’ll get here when it’s here.”

Patrick asked whether this means Lawrence definitely is leaving school for the NFL draft.

“It’s likely,” Lawrence said. “I don’t want to completely shut any door.”

#1 BudJet, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Jets81, nycarl, NYJalltheway and 5 others like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

This is one bullet the Jets have dodged. Trevor talk of pulling a Paton/ Eli move on the Jets seem to be answered in this interview. He's going to man up and play for the Jets & or any team & help with there rebuild. Next hurdle. ..lose to Rams...no problem, lose to Browns....no problem, lose to the Patriots. ...not so sure. Hoping for a Jaguars win over Bears week 16.

#2 BudJet, Dec 16, 2020
  3. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If this is true -- he's not been asked DIRECTLY and we don't know what he is thinking -- it's all the more reason we want him: he's not afraid. He relishes the challenge. He's got ice in his veins.

He wants the showdown with history.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Is there any doubt that he'd be willing to play for the Jets if we get the top pick?

JetsKickAss likes this.
  5. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say he’s going to sign on to being a jet just yet....I think TL And his handlers are going to watch with great interest who the Jets are going to hire as the new coach ....I think he’ll also watch free agency to see who the Jets sign ....He’ll be looking at WR help the team will bring along with O-line to protect him ....He Has to be thinking the Jets Are not gonna do to me what they did to Darnold

Jets79 likes this.
  6. Thats what you wanna hear. Didnt even blink,no hesitation. Embracing it for what it is.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This was heartening to hear from the young man. We're still a long ways from draft day but at least if the Jets don't manage to fck this up by winning a game, TL apparently will play for the Jets. Again, I'll believe Gase will be fired when it actually happens and I'll believe TL will play for the Jets WHEN the Jets actually draft him.

BudJet and Jets79 like this.
  8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

What he said when asked about the Jets "I'm up for the challenge wherever it may be...even help a team rebuild". That's about as close to saying I'll play for the Jets if they Draft him without saying yes. I don't think he would say this & then turn around on Draft day & bail out on whoever drafts him. He never said well we'll see, or I haven't made up my mind yet or anything negative. He spoke directly & didn't evade the question of being drafted by a team like the Jets.

#8 BudJet, Dec 16, 2020
    nycarl likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Huh? Did you watch the video? Dan Patrick directly asked Trevor about the Jets, so he HAS been asked directly, and we DO know what he is thinking.

nycarl, JetsKickAss and BudJet like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. He's a mature, confident young man and player and welcomes whatever challenge comes along. He's not afraid.

westiedog1, KurtTheJetsFan and BudJet like this.
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I don't think there's too much of a worry, at least at the moment, if TL will play for the Jets. I think there's even less of a worry that he returns to Clemson, in which case would be the worst case since then we couldn't even trade the pick.

The main concern, has and remains if we end up selecting #1 overall at all. Media is acting like this is in the bag--it's definitely not until the last second ticks off that week 17 game.

Hopefully we get more bumps and bruises in the next two games and JD asks that we sit out of precaution--

Jenkins, Van Roten are already two key players that are out--if we can find a way to sit guys like Maye, Mcgovern, Perriman and Crowder....it should help us with that last loss we need.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

In every interview I have seen of TL he seems like a pretty impressive kid. I sure hope we do not destroy him too. That would not only be sad for Jets fans but for this kid too. I feel bad for what has happened to Sam. He certainly deserves blame but he has gotten a raw deal here. I hope he is able to rebuild his career and promise. I think JD will protect TL a lot better. But, I kind of feel like us drafting TL is like a parent buying their kid a really expensive new car after they just wrecked the last 5 cars.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He’s a stone cold stud. I think with that call vs the raiders the Johnson bros know they need this kid to put butts in the seats next year. We must be tanking for him. These next 3 games just play tge run kill the clock let sam make 2-3 mistakes playing hero ball and we’ll be just fine.

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If he were afraid of the Jets, he'd be the first.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

If he's the real deal and also is comfortable BEING the real deal, there's every reason to want to play for a New York team in a drafting scenario. It's always a terrible franchise that is ALSO small-town in those situations - nobody ducks the biggest media markets in a draft.

Especially when there's a franchise cornerstone LT drafted the year prior to you just waiting to provide your protection, and a young, highly-thought of GM with the vision and ammunition to grow the team around you.

BudJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I only saw it a few minutes ago. I assumed he "danced around" the question earlier today and in recent interviews.

You know....if Dallas were in Jacksonsville's position, I could understand his reticence to side with NY over Dallas. But it's JACKSONVILLE/LONDON in the #2 slot......so it's NY vs. Jax...they don't have a GM right now.....they are going to only play 6 games in Jacksonville and 2 in London.....they may MOVE to London in 5-10 years.

Jacksonville sounds alot like San Diego circa 2004 with Eli !!