Trevor Lawrence hints at staying in school

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Shea Jet, Oct 27, 2020.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

That's not even enough tbh. Especially since Gase is gone regardless by the time Trevor has to declare. You know what WOULD cinch Lawrence coming out? Hiring Dabo.

2. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

It takes a big market like NY to cash in on endorsements. Can you imagine anyone from Cleveland, Kansas City or Green Bay making bank on endorsements?

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. LeBron James. Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes are loaded in endorsements.

Rockinz likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Of course but that's why they're a dysfunctional organization they do stupid ____ a lot.

Look what they've done to Sam Darnold. Look at the Quinnen Williams trade rumors.

This organization doesn't respect it's best players.

If I were close to Trevor Lawrence I'd tell him not to come play for these losers.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

I was thinking Baker Mayfield in Cleveland, but you get the point. You no longer have to be in a big media market to get endorsement deals.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Your "simple math" is way too simple.

First, the election of anyone does not change a tax rate, legislation does and it doesn't always come out as expected or when expected.

Second, how can you guess at his state tax liability when you don't know what state he'll live in? If he is a Jet he could live in New York or New Jersey which have different rates.

Third, whatever that rate is will not turn out to be the rate he pays because he will be taxed where he earns the money - half the games are in different states, some of which have no state tax at all.

Fourth, city tax is a rarity and not a factor at all unless his residence is in one of those few places that has a local income tax.

Aside from a few hundred thousand difference in his rookie contract pretty much everything else you've said is right on. And he can make more endorsement money in New York than probably any other place on the planet.

Footballgod214 and Falco21 like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Meh.

This is the New York Jets; I will believe Gase is gone when Gase is gone.

ColoradoContrails and Shea Jet like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get taxes and such are complicated. But assuming he'll get taxed based on where he plays his away games, while true, doesn't really effect that much. MOST of his $ comes from his signing bonus, day 1. That gets taxed in NY/NJ, 2 of the highest tax rates in the country. His 'game checks' get taxed on where he plays the game, but those game checks are usually pretty small after his signing bonus.

Either way the point of my post was his first contract ain't all that much, compared to his 2nd contract, which he'll want to secure as soon as possible. Therefore he'll probably come out. If he stays, he's not just putting off his 1st contract, he's putting off his BIG 2nd as well.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He's putting off more than just money. He's potentially putting off his entire career.

Coming from someone who's career was ended in college due to injury, it would be EXTREMELY stupid for him to stay and risk that. Especially when he is going 1st overall.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This is why you come out. End of discussion.

[​IMG]

11. Shea Jet

Shea Jet Member

I'm starting to think, it's not out of the realm of possibility, that the Johnsons DO NOT Fire Gase and he is indeed the Jets HC in '21. This is regardless of getting the 1st pick or Lawrence.

Look at the track record of Johnson Bros. since they took over. They had:
    Herm Edwards- 5 Seasons
    Eric Mangini- 3 Seasons
    Rex Ryan - 6 Seasons
    Todd Bowles- 4 Seasons
    I'm not sure they fire Gase after just TWO Seasons, its certainly not in their "track record" to do so. I mean anyone with a brain WOULD, but you know, Johnsons.....

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

what did it say about peyton manning? john elway and eli manning?

i always hated john elway for what he did, but the guy was a multiple time superbowl winner. peyton was one of the top qbs EVER and eli won 2 superbowls.

it says they are some of the best talents who have the actual ability to say fuck you, i dont want to do that. because they were that fucking good.

13. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

his record is obviously WAY worse than all of those guys though. And not only that, its not just the record. Its how bad we look. If they dont, then they had some kind of under the table agreement to suck on purpose, not change up their plays and to basically throw games. That is all I can think if they do not fire him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good list. You may have only been listing QBs the team drafted, but to get a true picture of just how miserable and wretched our QB play has been over the years, all of our duds need to be included. LOL

I'll omit the Titans QBs, and just list the other "Jets'" QBs who started games.

Al Woodall (9 games in '70, 4 in '71, and 6 in '73) a decent backup
    Bob Davis (7 games in '71 and 1 game in '72) don't remember
    Bill Demory (3 games in '73) don't remember
    JJ Jones (1 game in '75) don't remember
    Matt Robinson (1 game in '77, 11 games in '78, and 1 in '79) flash in the pan
    Marty Domres (2 games in '77)
    Pat Ryan (11 games in '84, 2 in '86, 1 in '87, 4 in '88, and 1 in '89) very good backup
    David Norrie (2 games in '87) WHO?
    Kyle Mackey (1 game in '89)
    Tony Eason (2 games in '89)
    Boomer Esiason ('93, 14 games in '94, and 12 in '95)
    Jack Trudeau (2 games in '94)
    Bubby Brister (4 games in '95)
    Frank Reich (6 games in '96)
    Neil O'Donnell (6 games in '96 and 14 in '97)
    Glenn Foley (3 games in '96, 2 in '97, and 3 in '98)
    Vinny Testaverde (13 games in '98, 1 in '99, 16 in 2000, 16 in 2001, 4 in 2002, 7 in 2003, and 4 in 2005)
    Quincy Carter (3 in 2004)
    Brooks Bollinger (9 in 2005
    Greg McElroy (1 game in 2012)
    Michael Vick (3 games in 2014)
    Ryan Fitztragic (2015 and 11 games in 2016)
    Bryce Petty (4 games in 2016 and 3 games in 2017)
    Josh McCown (13 games in 2017 and 3 in 2018)
    Luke Falk (2 games in 2019)
    Trevor Siemian (1 game in 2019)
    Joe Flacco (2 games so far in 2020)

What a complete and utter abomination! The franchise really should just be folded.

15. NCJetsfan

Even if he did say that because he watched the Jets and the Jets haven't fired Adam Gase yet, the moment Gase is fired, that all changes. He's smart enough to know that even when Gase is fired, things aren't going to get dramatically better in the middle of the season. The Jets have some good young talent, but not nearly enough, that's part of the reason they've been so bad. It isn't all Gase. Most of Douglas' picks have shown that they belong. With all the picks we have over the next 2 seasons and all the cap space we have, this team will be dramatically different in 2 years, especially with a new, better CS and HC. With two first round picks, there's even a chance that the Jets could wind up with both Lawrence and Etienne. Think that wouldn't be a selling point for Lawrence?

16. NCJetsfan

Great, fair, well-reasoned post. I've always respected you and your posts because of this and because you refuse to let yourself be biased by your college team allegiance.

17. NCJetsfan

Parcells didn't like starting rookies, especially at QB. When he had a veteran like Testaverde, there's no way that he even gave Chad serious consideration for starting. Chad may have learned something from watching Vinny and whomever was the QB Coach and OC at the time, but I mostly agree with Colorado that Chad was pretty much developed by the time he hit the NFL>

18. NCJetsfan

It wasn't that Manning didn't want to play for the Jets. That narrative needs to stop. It was because Parcells refused to guarantee Archie Manning that Peyton would be the #1 pick.

ColoradoContrails and Shea Jet like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I disagree with letting Lawrence give approval of whomever our next HC is. He doesn't know all the coaches, that's giving him way too much power (more than Douglas), and he could make a bad decision. Sam thought Gase was a great HC. No way should Lawrence get to influence that decision.

Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

This is political and it's nonsense and lies.