Travis Etienne or Kyle Pitts? Who would you take and why?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Nov 20, 2020.

?

If both are there at Seattle's pick, who would you take, Travis Etienne or Kyle Pitts?

1. Kyle Pitts

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Travis Etienne

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're probably right that one of the 2nd and 3rd picks of the Jets' draft will be used on an OL. That said one doesn't need an OL comprised of all 1st and 2nd rounders. In fact, that is counter productive, because then you have too much of the cap tied up in OL and don't have enough to pay quality skill position players on both offense and defense. Good OL can be found all throughout the draft and as UDFAs. The same can sometimes be true for skill position players, but not as much imo. We already have Clark who looks to have a lot of potential. He was a 4th rounder. we have two - 3rd round picks. One or both could be used on OL.

IMO only two, maybe three positions on the OL merit a first round pick: :LT, C and maybe RT. While OG has grown in importance, very good OGs can be found in the 2nd-4th rounds and lower.

I'm definitely all for protecting TL or whomever our starting QB is. Having all day to find an open receiver is no good if the receivers can't get open or can't catch the ball if they do get open. IMO those first 3 picks would best be spent on QB, TE and WR, but if no WR is worthy of the Seahawks' 1st round pick or our top of the 2nd round pick, then it should be RB or OL. I'd even strongly consider taking Etienne with one of those picks (Seahawks' or our 2nd), because Lawrence and he together would give opposing DCs nightmares.

Brook! likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well that’s along my train of thought...QB, OL, WR for the first three picks....

Most solid OLs consist of at least 3 top picks
    - not necessarily all first round. Sure JD can sign a Guard in FA - that approach worked for Tannenbaum. Yes decent OL can be found in lower rounds but as you say the LT and C for sure usually work at best at the top of the draft. Which is why I think Humphery would be such a great pick. The OL would have its two young anchors and would just need a little more work.

I agree a WR is needed to pair with Mims - heck I hope even another WR is added whether it be the draft or FA. RB will be addressed at some point - it has to be.

Of course everything can’t be addressed in one off season but I am impressed with most of what JD was able to accomplish in this past draft.

#22 mrjet80, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Brook!, CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The wild card is the free agent market for WR and the reduction in salary cap. Many teams will be unable to sign players with a $175M (instead of a $215M cap) that in a normal year would be signed. The Jets should be able to add decent players through free agency. The WR market should be good this year and there is value in pairing an established veteran with Mims.

Assuming they can get a quality WR in free agency, I would be happy with this:

1. Lawrence
    1b. Wyatt Davis
    2. Etienne

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I agree. It's more speculative to grab a WR late 1 or 2. We may as well use a top pick next year at WR and get a sure thing. Go after Allen Robinson or a big FA for WR and settle that. Good OL don't come around too often and w eneed to target them in FA/draft.

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I love the idea of getting weapons for our new QB, and I know the OP proposed a very simple either/or question... I'm not ignoring that or trying to derail the thread, but I want an offensive lineman with our second first-round pick, assuming there is a good one available.

But to answer the question, you always hear how a good tight end is like a security blanket for a quarterback, so I'd go with the TE.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I watched Pitts in the Gators v Tennessee game on Saturday and he looked like a good weapon to have.

It will be interesting to see what he does against Bama in the SEC Championship Game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Yes, I would love to add him to the Jets' offense. Even with just Lawrence, Pitts, Mims, and Crowder, it would give opposing DCs nightmares. Add in another WR or two, a topnotch RB, and quality OL, and the Jets' offense could be a juggernaut to rival the Chiefs.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  8. Leicester Jet

Which Running Back do you see being there with the 1st pick in the 2nd? Najee Harris might be there then

9. NCJetsfan

IMO the only RBs worthy of that pick would be Etienne (and he'll already be gone) and Najee Harris. So far, there are only 3 RBs I like in the entire draft (Etienne, Harris and Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis). Hopefully, there will be some more. Master Teague of Ohio St. sounds intriguing. Although on 3 different draft game sites he's rated as a lower-mid or lower round pick.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There are arguments for both. Etienne would give Lawrence a weapon he's familiar with. Pitts would be a nightmare for opposing defenses because of his speed. While it's true that good RB's can be found after round 1, the same is true for TE's. Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Ertz, Waller, and Andrews were selected on days 2 and 3. The tiebreaker for me is that TE's don't take the pounding that RB's do and therefore usually have a longer shelf life.

Really can't go wrong either way though. I like Charlie Kolar and Jake Ferguson as middle round targets. If Campbell is the new HC, I expect him to push for the former.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Check out the VT Rb. Averaging over 7 ypc. Low to the ground and value wise would be perfect. Need to spend the premium picks on OL and Trevor.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Another idea would be to trade up from round two so we could add both players.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Pitts in a heartbeat. Etienne is a nice college player and a guy who does everything well enough but nothing spectacular. I think he'll be over-drafted but I don't think he'll be a spectacular player.

The Clemson connection is what draws me to the comparison but he reminds me of a slightly better Wayne Gallman.

Pitts plays like Travis Kelce. He just needs to stay healthy. He's so big and physical compared to who covers him but he gets pinballed around a lot in the air and I believe he has a couple concussions. It's definitely a worry in the NFL.

Najee Harris is by far the best back in the draft and the most versatile that can also run in between the tackles in a long time. Prime Le'Veon Bell is who he reminds me of in terms of versatility (not the shitty Jets version). I'd love for us to draft him but there's too many good mid round backs available this year to burn a pick on him.

Javonte Williams from UNC is my guy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I agree. At the time I posted this I hadn't seen Etienne play yet this year, and was going on how he looked in the past. Etienne doesn't look like the same player this year that he has in the past. He doesn't look as fast or evasive. Even if Etienne still looks like he used to, I'd still go with Pitts.

I'd love to add Najee Harris, but agree that we probably shouldn't unless he drops to the top of the 3rd round. Other than Williams, who else do you like at RB? The only two that I like after Harris is Williams and Kenneth Gainwell of Memphis.

15. If Oregon State’s Jermar Jefferson declares he’ll be a day 2 pick & some team will be very fortunate. Really nice vision & burst. Explosive talent.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If he comes out early, Sermon from OSU would be a great RB.

EDIT:

Najee Harris would also be a great addition - reminds me of Bell (in his prime) - would be a running and receiving threat.

17. Leicester Jet

After last nights game I can only see Najee Harris's stock rising and I can't see him still being on the board after the first few picks in the 2nd Round - thats if he doesn't go in the 1st!

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I doubt he lasts beyond #20. He's a variation of the dynamic, "do everything" type player that McCaffery is. He's the type of player that the Jets should've been targeting when they regularly picked in the low teens, but instead always went "defense first". If they could get Lawrence - or another top QB - prospect AND Harris, I'd be very happy...that would make for a dynamic offense.

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Pitts stock went up yesterday.....need for Seattle to flame out in the playoffs and hope Pitts falls.

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Javonte Williams would be a nice day 2 pick. His ability to run between the tackles and refusal to go down stand out in the one video I've watched. Reminds me of Marshawn Lynch.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.