Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

We are in the same camp I think. We both want the Jets to go with the young guys. I just think its bad to not give Petty more reps and a fair eval. If he isn't in their long term plans better to just cut or trade him like Cman says. The best scenario in my mind is the better of Petty or Hack starts the season. If after a few starts that guy doesn't perform you have bought more time for the other to prepare and be the backup QB hero. But giving all your reps to McCown and he is clearly mediocre and all your 2017 hopes in Hack when he is just 22 and has a lot of football in him just seems wrong. Increase your odds of success by giving Petty more of a shot. All I'm saying.

ColoradoContrails and SOJAZ like this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Pre-season is going to be extremely intriguing. Hack and Petty will receive a lot of snaps, and we will finally be able to see if one of them is worth a damn.

Hoping either of them are, expecting neither of them to be.

3. PulseJet

And here is another report showing Petty had a good practice, going 5 for 5 and showing nice touch on deep balls. Maybe now the playing field will be leveled.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/20...uarterbac.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

mc cown belongs on the coaching staff, NOT the active roster.
    when will the jets ever learn to stop wasting time and money and a roster spot on some never-won-anything , over-the-hill qb "mentor"?!!!!!!
    repeating insanity year after year.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah was aware he got some work late and completed some practices at the end of practice, this may warrant more reps for him, but I am not sure. The offensive line / WRs were putrid.

6. 101GangGreen101

They aren't going to trade or cut him, he's cheap and will probably stick around to end his contract. This is the last chance for Hack and Petty. There are QBs coming out and the Jets won't be a good team if one of the young guys doesn't show anything. I personally would like to get rid of Bowles as well and hire a new coach to go with the new QB.

Right now, I don't trust Bowles with QBs.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seems to me Petty has been playing with scrubs ever since the Jets drafted him. Even this year he's getting shit on by a coach desperate to save his job. McCown isnt the future so how does one justify giving virtually all of the 1st team reps to him??? Why is Petty always relegated to playing alongside 2nd tier talent?? Again, if they don't want Petty to compete, release him and use that roster spot on a defensive depth guy. Bowles is so intent onsaving his job that he set up this "SHAM QB COMPETITION" so he could justify starting McCown. If a 2-20 record gives TB the best chance to win, WTF have we been doing the last 3 years??? When exactly does TB buy into the rebuild seriously instead of paying lip service to it??

8. PulseJet

Agreed. From reports it sounds like there isn't much separation between McCown and the young guys. If true, you need to go young for the good of the team. The calculus for Bowles needs to be if we are mediocre with McCown I am fired. If we are mediocre with the young QB's but showing improvement I may survive. So the switch to the young guys needs to be made soon in my mind.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Every Leberfeld article reads like a run on haiku.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Alternatively, if the o line is as bad as it sounds like they are, then start Mccown so we don't give Hackenberg David Carr syndrome in his second season.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cman68, PulseJet and zace like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

Can't say I agree with how things were handled in terms of reps. Last year would've been a good year to find out what Petty had to offer instead of resigning Fitzpatrick. I think starting last year Hack and Petty should've gotten the bulk of the first team reps. Bowles isn't saving his job at this stage he's going to get himself fired trying to tie himself to McCown, wasting the first team reps on him.

12. PulseJet

Sure start him week 1 as cannon fodder. But give Petty and Hack decent reps with the 1's. Right now they are getting none.

Cman68 and xxedge72x like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What is more insane McCowan starting or you wanting him on the coaching staff :D

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Deep balls aren't his problem, it is short passess that he seemed to struggle with last season, he hit Anderson on the sideline route with a few good bombs, he just needs 20 successful passess in the 8-16 yard range, my opinion is he just didn't quite have the smarts to scan quickly enough for short passing routes but has a bit more time to focus on a big launch.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Actually,geno should have gotten the bulk with petty 2nd and still attempt to red shirt hack. Fitz should have never been in consideration once he made his demands known

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Looks like we've got a future politician. He has mastered the art of saying a lot of words without saying anything. Absolutely fantastic.

1. How awesome Brady is about the least essential part in the entire argument. Stop riding his dick. We don't need to know how awesome Brady would save his ass here. It would be more than sufficient it to say that, even he'd have a bad day here in Florham Park.
    2. The question has been, and always will be, this:

a. Petty didn't even get sufficient reps. Not enough reps to practice, but not enough to get used to the receivers either.
    b. Then he was thrust into the starting line up in the middle of the season, literally. This also means he started taking the majority of the repetitions only after the season was well underway.
    c. It is not even like he was surrounded by top-tier supporting cast either.

Given the three facts, [just how the hell was he supposed to show the world that he had all that potential to lead a franchise?]

He doesn't read the defense? He doesn't check down with the receivers? That's why you think he has no upside?

Seriously, if you think Awesome Brady would ignore Failey, where is Petty supposed to receive information from? He's the only OC he has worked with in his short career yet. No? Should he call Art Briles?

Again - it's a direct and simple question, and it only takes simple and direct answer.

17. 101GangGreen101

I'm not riding Brady's dick, I can't stand the fucker. But recognize he's a great QB. Cheater or not. The guy puts the team in the right position to make plays. Derek Carr, Jameis Winston, and Russel Wilson these QBs make the team better. Petty does not do that. I don't need a full summer of reps to know that. I saw him play plenty at Baylor.

OK, l will answer your question.

"He doesn't read the defense? He doesn't check down with the receivers? That's why you think he has no upside?"

4 games with Petty last year, here is what I saw.

Does not go through his reads consistently, has happy feet [when the pressure comes he falters], and while he has a good strong live arm, gotta question the accuracy down the field at times. So the things he did well in college, has not translated to the NFL. Do I blame the coordinator on Petty not being as good as advertised? No; but also you are the one who brought Brady into this conversation, not me then tried to make a direct correlation.

BTW he can call Ghostbusters. Or Chip Kelly.

EDIT - would like to add again, we can continue to talk about reps and all that shit, but I have already mentioned that I agree that the reps were poorly handled.

#257 101GangGreen101, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Again - that is NOT what I asked.

Re-read the question. I will repeat them for you:

1. How could Petty show his potential, given his conditions?

I listed the conditions because, if Petty [could] show his potentials, it would be in spite of his conditions, not because of it.
    And the condition includes: having sufficient repetitions with receivers, having competent OC, having at least serviceable level of supporting cast and having smooth transition into the role.

So, if the argument that [Petty didn't show enough] is to be valid in any stretch, then such assertion must take the aforementioned conditions into consideration, but still show [SOMETHING ELSE] that is lacking. That's why I introduced Brady in the discussion there. It was not to see how good he was. If this little thought experiment could show even the likes of Brady would have sub-par day, then that does the job. Petty's day won't be optimal either. If "Petty didn't show enough," then that would have to account for that "something else" too.

Not progressing in reads, and not reading defenses correctly, whatever - if anything, the correction must come from the offensive coordinator. He's the one that gets 22 personnel breakdown film after each play, not the QB. Moreover, he's the one that 1. designs plays and 2. gives the QB the heads up for contingencies. Given competent OC, time and experience will fix most of it. Which brings us to:

2. Petty's only OC in the NFL was Chan Gailey.

Even you'd recognize that Brady [or any other good QB for that matter] would ignore the fool. So I am asking you here. If Petty learned from Chan, and thus failed, that's the knock on Petty? How does that logic make sense?

Look. I am not trying to defend Petty in any way or form imaginable. I am just trying to see if it was all on Petty. From the looks of it, maybe, just maybe he's not a starter material, but that conclusion shouldn't come from what was seen on the field last year. Or find another good QB that succeeded despite the similar conditions. I don't think I see one.

P.S. Despite the raw deals that he was given, he somehow built connection with Robby Anderson last year, and he's yet doing it again with yet another no-name WR this year. No other Jets QB has done that and that includes Mark Sanchez and beyond in recent memory. Somehow these things don't count?

[Yet when Peyton makes a no-name WR look good, that's a hallmark sign of a franchise QB, am I right?]

#258 Zach, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sounds like another rough day for the offense.

*sits in corner muttering "someday,someday "

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sounds like another perfectly normal day at Florham Park to me.