Training Camp Thread 2.0

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    Rodgers just made an unbelievable throw, rolling to his left and dropping a dime to Malik Taylor. Ulbrich will be talking about that one on Hard Knocks. #jets

NCJetsfan and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Taylor is going to make this team, you can tell Rodgers likes him and he's been making plays. Brownlee was the camp darling but I think between the injuries and Taylor's performance, he's not gonna make it. Does Taylor play special teams?

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Aaron Rodgers went 6/7 in his latest 11 on 11 run:

- Quick pass to Tyler Conklin
    - Hurry up to the line, quick pass to Garrett Wilson
    - Back to back short completions to CJ Uzomah
    - Completion to Bam Knight
    - Breakup by DJ Reed on sideline throw to Malik Taylor
    - Short pass for Bam Knight — for a big gain

#Jets

Solomon Thomas beat Billy Turner to sack Aaron Rodgers at the end of team drills. Happened quickly. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Rodgers telling the truth about the Oline yesterday must have stung.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Staley:
    Zach Wilson just throw a laser to WR Xavier Gipson for a touchdown

Wilson and Gipson also hooked up on a two-point conversion

The Jets offense looks a lot better today and yes I know they’re going up against their defense. Aaron Rodgers was 6/7 during the first 11-on-11 session today

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes, we’re counting on Brown for LT apparently, and then if Tippman could develop, I wouldn’t be shocked to see AVT move to RT, MGV move to RG, and Tippman take over C. Leaving Becton as swing tackle. Or maybe they put Brown at LT and play Becton at RT and keep AVT at G…some options, but the problem is we are way susceptible to injury and until Becton actually shows he can stay on the field, you have to assume he can’t…I think its concerning that his knee is still not really full go…it’s been a LONG time

7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

My absolute favorite part about reading this is that second line…AR hurrying them up to the line to get a play off and catch the defense off guard. I remember a while ago also hearing how he hurried up a play to catch the D with too many men on the field.

I just LOVE that we FINALLY have a QB that has that ability…instead of these newbies trying to figure it out, we now have a guy who has his head in the game at all times, and has the wherewithall to do that…so many times guys like Peyton and Brady did that to us…I always hated that we never had a QB worth a damn to be that aware

Love this

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    Alijah Vera-Tucker, speaking after practice, says he’d have no issue with moving to tackle if that’s what the coaches want. He did play LT and RT last season, when he bailed out the team when injuries hit. #Jets

Seth Walder (@SethWalder);
    Fairly small sample, but Vera-Tucker posted a pass block win rate of 93.5% while playing tackle last year.

That's very strong: would have ranked 5th-best had he played there enough to qualify and maintained that pace.

(ESPN / NFL Next Gen Stats)

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Billy Turner on switching back and forth from LT to RT: "Everything is an adjustment ... it's like wiping your ass with your off hand."

#Jets

(all-time quote)

Brook!, NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The fact that Becton isn't a) working with the ones and b) hasn't had any reps at RT tells me that the Jets are relying on Brown to be the starting LT. If shit flies south at that position it will be on him. No one expected Becton to be the starting LT so we should be concerned with the guy who is. Let's hope Brown can get back into game shape and play better than last year.

#710 bicketybam, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Cimini:
    #Jets practice notes:

* The news is that Garrett Wilson (ankle) returned and did more than expected. He took a handful of reps in 11 v 11, even caught two passes. He seemed to have no problem cutting on the grass field.

* Sauce Gardner (quad) sat out again, as did Carl Lawson (back), who has missed several days.

* Solid day for Aaron Rodgers (12-for-18) in this pad less practice. Started well, including a gorgeous, on-the-move sideline throw to Malik Taylor. Cooled off at the end of practice in a red-zone period, ending with two incompletions. Won’t play Saturday, so he gets a long rest. Next practice is Tuesday.

* Pass pro was better than yesterday, but remember: There were no pads and no Panthers. Max Mitchell and Billy Turner continued to rotate. Mekhi Becton still with the second group.

* JFM and D.J. Reed made nice plays on D. Tony Adams continues to earn praise from teammates. Saleh says Adams and Adrian Amos are battling for starting S job.

* Zach Wilson led a long TD, Irvin Charles in the end zone. Wilson had a near-INT on a bad ball threw a fourth-down TD to Gipson in the red area, nice post route, but he was open on what appeared to be a busted coverage. #Jets

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Rosenblatt:
    Robert Saleh's answer on the #Jets O-Line struggling in camp so far:

"My optimistic side would say: we’ve got time, Duane (Brown)’s coming back, we’ve got some cards in our back pocket we can use, but as a coach you want it done yesterday. We want these guys rolling, we want confidence, we want to start humming. But I also understand all the moving parts and verbiage and new scheme. Keith (Carter) has a different style to the way he coaches technique. So there’s a learning curve. That part of it I have empathy for and understanding that it is going to take some time. But yea, I’m a coach, I wanted it yesterday."

Brook! likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

even Saleh's "optimistic side" is questionable. I will translate

"39 year old Duane Brown is hopefully back soon or we can play Vera-Tucker out of position again. But as a coach you wish you didn't have to rely on either of those"

14. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Anyone else find it odd that Vera-Tucker isn’t DEMANDING to play either tackle spot? There’s more $ in it for him vs playing guard

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

You wouldn’t be shocked. I absolutely would be shocked.

There’s a chance he’d rather be a great guard than a good tackle.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

I think we’re going to be a big player on OL come cut down time. I’m betting 1 to 2 starters aren’t on the team yet.

17. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Based on what I've seen Brownlee is insanely more talented and Rodgers has already been loud about his love for Brownlee. Just because he was cheering on Malik in the game means nothing. Malik happened to be the 3rd stringer running the deep streak which is why he said to throw it up. It's not like he has an affinity for him.

18. Jetsruby

I think Joe definitely waiting until final cut day but IMO the move is better to make now.

19. Jetsruby

I think it's up in the air but it's more about Becton still coming back from an injury he claims playing RT makes worse. So even if Saleh wants Becton at RT, he would play him at LT until (IF imo) he gains confidence in his knee.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think there's one thing you can be pretty sure of. McGovern is NOT going to play OG. He is an awful OG. The worst 2 years of his career he played OG at Denver and sucked so bad they moved him to C. He has admitted that he's a much better C than OG. Schweitzer will play OG. Heck, Colon, and maybe the TC scrubs can play OG better than McGovern. If McGovern plays OG, then Saleh has totally lost it, and all hope is lost for the OL.

#720 NCJetsfan, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    joelip likes this.