Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I feel a kinship with Austin Walter being so pumped you cant even keep your feet under you. I wish him the best.

#1941 IDFjet, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I’ll take Becton. Every reputable OL analyst I’ve seen has raved about him and LT > RT

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, reports had been pretty good, but I think it's a numbers thing. Barring something unforeseen happening, Lawson, Q, JFM, Fatukasi, Curry, Huff, and Raskins are making this team. That's 7. How many DL will the Jets be able to keep, 9, 10 probably at most? J. Marshall and Shepherd are definitely in the mix, as is probably Blair. Marshall probably wouldn't make it through waivers to the PS. Blair may be their best run defender/edge setter at DE. Shepherd is a solid rotation player who can also get pressure on the QB. Would the Jets trade Shepherd or Blair and take a chance on Zuniga staying healthy and continuing to develop? I probably wouldn't do it, but then I haven't seen them up close and personal in TC, so the Jets may.

I know that Zuniga was a draft pick of JD's last year in the 3rd round, but would that be enough to save him? IR could be a possibility. He's talented, but considering his injury history, I don't know if anyone would take a shot at him if the Jets tried to sneak him onto the PS. It's a wonderful problem to have. The talent JD has added to the DL is nothing short of amazing. It's going to be interesting, and we're going to hate to cut some players, but that's the nice thing about the team's talent level improving markedly.

4. NCJetsfan

How is it looking like a blunder? Becton looked all-world last season before he got injured. I don't know that I'd agree that Wirfs has been clearly better so far. Even if so, better playing RT doesn't mean he's better than Becton, and we needed a LT much more than a RT.

Borat, barfolomew, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The only thing worse than a franchise that sucks is a franchise that sucks and is arrogant about it.

Edit: Wrong thread, meant to put it in the Jets-Giants thread.

Edit 2: There's never a wrong thread to shit on the Giants.

BacktoQueens and FJF like this.
  6. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Looks like cam Clark has been put on season ending IR.

Shame tbf and really does show how injuries can really just kill a career. Dude was already a project, which is fine.

However it's going to be year 3 with no meaningful football played in the first two years. Going to be a long road to a roster spot for the guy with the Jets.

FWIW, health always comes. First and hope he's able to fully recover from that injury.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

mrjet80, NCJetsfan, papapump and 2 others like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its only been one season but Wirfs was much better in pass protection.

Becton
    13 starts - 7 sacks - 7 penalties.

Wirfs
    20 starts - 1 sack - 3 penalties.

REVISion likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes but RT doesn’t face the top rushers as consistently as LT…plus Wirfs had Brady behind him and Brady is notoriously hard to sack because he gets the ball out so fast and the refs allow his OL to hold way more than they should

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This should be it’s own thread

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't agree that Becton looked all-world. He was pretty weak in pass protection if I recall which I think is more important than run blocking. I think Wirfs is athletic enough to have made the move to LT and had success there too. I think Wirfs is quicker laterally than Becton is, Becton seems to have slow feet sometimes and he may be above the optimal size for the position.

And all of that is without mentioning the injury/weight concerns that Becton has that Wirfs doesn't. Wirfs has multiple Iowa weight room records I want to say, he's a better athlete than Becton and it may be partially due to the fact that Becton can't seem to keep his weight down and stay in the shape a professional football player should stay in.

Either way it's more of a preference thing for me, I would've preferred Wirfs but Becton is fine too.

ouchy, KY Jets Fan and Noam like this.
  11. REVISion

Yeah but 7 sacks in 13 starts is massively different than 1 sack in 20 starts. Wirfs was WAY better in pass protection, even when accounting for Brady and the RT/LT factor.

12. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I couldn't possibly disagree more with all of this.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed that Wirfs had a better year than Becton, but I want to reserve judgement as far as who should have been drafted until I see more. Becton was considered more of a raw talent with higher ceiling due to superior athleticism and physical attributes, which will take longer to develop. Both guys overachieved first year, and I think there is a decent chance Becton will start closing the gap this year in pass protection. Also, Becton is really great against the run, and plays more difficult LT position. I think this year we can answer which one is better, and there is still a fair chance it could be Becton, though both looks like they should have gone top 10.

Noam and REVISion like this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

got to take in account those factors though…plus LT>RT. There’s a reason for example that Orlando Brown wanted out of Baltimore, he wouldn’t get nowhere near the money he’d get protecting his QB’s blindside at LT then him staying and playing RT in Baltimore.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

16. NCJetsfan

Jets’ Undrafted Edge Rusher Keeps Climbing, Pushing for First-Team Role
    • Updated Aug 17, 2021 at 4:10pm
    One of the more impressive New York Jets players in 2020 was undrafted free agent Bryce Huff, out of Memphis.

The rookie registered his first two NFL sacks of his career off eight pressures and just 295 defensive snaps. Huff also combined for 16 tackles.

According to Pro Football Focus, 173 of those snaps were pass-rushing opportunities, to which he received a pass-rush grade of 61.9. His grade against the run was much worse, at 46.6.

Huff started OTAs on the Jets’ bubble, labeled a dark horse to make this roster and contribute. At this point, making the top 53 seems almost a certainty, and head coach Robert Saleh admitted recently that the second-year player may even push for a starting role.

Jets’ Coaching Staff Continues to Rave About Huff

After the edge rusher’s big performance versus the New York Giants, Coach Saleh was asked about Huff’s development throughout training camp.

The Jets HC replied: “You know he transformed his body through OTAs and all the way up [until] training camp. He’s done a really good job getting himself ready to have a really great training camp and he’s been having it, and it’s a credit to him. The more we watch him — I mean he’s just winning — and he was one of those guys at first that we were like, ‘man how are we going to hide this guy in the preseason he’s going to end up with like 10 sacks?’ And it got to the point where [it was] like, ‘how are we going to keep him off the first unit?’ So it’s a credit to him and the opportunity that he created for himself through his work and in practice.”

Huff finished with three combined tackles (two for a loss), two sacks and two quarterback hits against mainly the Giants’ first-team offensive line. That was the key part about the edge rusher’s output, it came predominantly against starters, not backups or third-stringers.

The one major mistake I noticed from him was on a contain responsibility during the Giants’ second drive. Big Blue ran a reverse hand-off in the backfield with wide receiver C.J. Board and Huff was caught overcommitting. The play ended up going for 12 yards and a first down after the defensive end was unable to hold the edge.

His outside-run containment is definitely an area he’ll need to clean up if he wants to start over a player like John Franklin-Myers or Vinny Curry (once healthy).

Defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich also spoke on Huff’s rise during a press conference on August 4. He said: “I can’t say enough about him. He is the absolute same human being every time he steps on the field — practice, pads, walk-through, whatever it is — he’s ready to work. He’s one of those rare guys that you look at him, a little undersized, maybe not fast enough or whatever the case may be, doesn’t mark all the boxes but just consistently comes out here and has production.”

Just hearing that quote again reminds me of what Saleh had to say about Carl Lawson, and how he didn’t check any boxes physically either. That’s some phenomenal company for Huff to be in.

17. REVISion

Yeah that's a reasonable take, I agree Becton probably has a higher ceiling. I am concerned that his weight seemed to be an issue as recently as this July, though. Especially because I've seen some footage of Lawson beating him because Becton was just too slow on his feet. I can't imagine being 370 lbs is optimal for having quick feet.

Contrast that with Wirfs who was legendary in the Iowa weight room, indicating he's probably very responsible about being in the best shape possible.

I am accounting for those factors. I'm saying there's such a massive difference in how much better Wirfs was in pass protection that it's probably not explained fully by those factors alone, he's probably just a better tackle than Becton at this point in his career.

Borat and Noam like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There you go using logic and a bit more in depth analysis versus a one line comment that doesn’t even factor in the difference between left and right tackle nor the effect of the entire OL and the QB behind center. Shame on u for using facts to temper stats.

19. REVISion

You think Brady and being a RT fully explain Wirfs letting up .05 sacks per game vs. Becton letting up .50 sacks per game? A tenfold difference?

Lol...

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Re Becton, we’ve seen it before with brick, young tackles struggle a little more when they have nothing reliable next to them. He was dbust until we got faneca to stabilize things a bit.
    Of course the other part is Gase did him no favors with scheme. As avt gets healthy and experienced we will se the both of them really turn in to a major strength for this team.
    Ftr I preferred wirf leading up to the draft. There’s something about those Iowa o linemen

ColoradoContrails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.