Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Belated Happy Birthday!

Noam and BroadwayAaron like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Coleman is here for 2 reasons. Help interpret the playbook and pickup blitzes for the rookie qb. I’d expect to see him a lot early on in obvious passing downs.
    Perrine will probably make the team because he is a well rounded back who can be sent in without tipping the offenses hand.

NCJetsfan, Noam and abyzmul like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/john-franklin-myers-learning-from-jets-oline/

Jets D-Lineman Credits Offensive Counterparts With Coaching Tips
      • Updated Aug 1, 2021 at 8:00am
    In training camp, veterans teach youngsters all the time, but you don’t always see offensive players teaching their defensive counterparts and vice versa.

For New York Jets defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers, the O-line crew he faces up against every day isn’t just filled with friends, it’s filled with mentors.

“I get a chance to work with Cam Clark, Mekhi Becton, Morgan Moses is over there helping guys and that’s all getting us better,” Franklin-Myers told team reporter Eric Allen during a post-practice interview on July 30, 2021.

He continued: “I talked to Morgan Moses yesterday and he’s like, man, don’t show your move, and that’s a vet, that’s a guy who’s played a lot of football and has done some good things in the NFL and he’s telling me, he’s coaching me during team when I have to go against him every play.”

‘JFM’ called it an “honor” to be around a veteran like Moses and learn from both his defensive linemates and the offensive line. On his side of the ball, Franklin-Myers highlighted experienced players like Sheldon Rankins, Carl Lawson, Vinny Curry, Foley Fatukasi, Nathan Shepherd and Tanzel Smart as fellow teachers of the game.

The 2020 Jets seemed to lack that team chemistry and comradery that gets you over the top in the NFL. Franklin-Myers is the perfect culture-changer in this regard and apparently, so is the late addition at right tackle, Moses.

Second-year tackle Becton has also mentioned Moses as a recent mentor of his. “It’s great because he’s from my hometown so we got a little connection there,” said the player that is known as ‘The Big Ticket.’

Becton told reporters that he calls the former Washington tackle “O.G.” and with at least 680 to 690 pounds between the two monstrous tackles, there’s nothing “little” about this connection.

“We have no choice but to get better each and every day,” commented JFM, “that’s why we’re out here… the name of the game is improvement.”

Another interesting opposing camp matchup has been Becton versus Lawson, and so far the edge rusher has dominated the top prospect. No pads make things tougher on offensive linemen but either way, class has been in session with Mr. Lawson playing the role of the professor.

“I’m learning from some quality players and it gives me a good opportunity to get better each and every day,” JFM explained to Allen.

If retired Jets offensive guard Damien Woody is correct, this should all pay positive dividends for Becton, whose craft is still a work in progress despite his God-given intangibles.

“Now we’re out here, we’re firing on all cylinders,” JFM told Allen, “we’re giving great effort, getting to the ball… the ball is like oxygen to us.”

JFM Named ‘Most Underrated Defensive Tackle’ by Analyst
    For a player that went overlooked most of last season, Franklin-Myers is certainly gaining clout. Earlier this offseason, NFL Network analytics expert Cynthia Frelund revealed that the versatile D-lineman was her pick for the Jets’ most underappreciated player in 2020.

Now on July 30, 2021, Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports has selected JFM to take over the mantle of most underrated defensive tackle, even though the Gang Green star also plays defensive end.

The previous under-the-radar producer to hold this honor was Grady Jarrett of the Atlanta Falcons, according to Trapasso. He wrote: “Last season, Franklin-Myers was dominant. And that’s not a stretch. Check how efficient he was getting after the opposing quarterback compared to a handful of established stars on the inside.”

The CBS analyst’s chart ranked JFM second in pressure-creation rate for the entire NFL at 14.4%, behind his former teammate Aaron Donald. For comparison, Jets star D-tackle Quinnen Williams had a 10.3% pressure-creation rate off a similar amount of pass-rushing opportunities.

Paired with head coach Robert Saleh, Franklin-Myers has the opportunity to make another huge jump in 2021.

#183 NCJetsfan, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  4. NCJetsfan

I wonder what kind of drills the Jets WR coaches have for their WRs to help with their route running. Here are a couple form AJ Brown that I found interesting.

Noam likes this.
  5. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

Elijah Moore already has more advanced cutback ability on a dime than A.J. Brown does and there's a real reason why A.J. cried tears of joy letting the world know he can't do the type of shit Elijah does on the football field.

Look at these cutbacks.

Disgusting.

6. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know about Moore. I was thinking more specifically about Moore, Jeff Smith, Berrios and the other young WRs.

Noam and SmashMouth like this.
  7. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

I don't think Smith and/or Berrios (or anyone else) will even sniff the playing field @ WR. Not with all 5 of Davis, Mims, Moore, Crowder and Cole ahead of them they won't (unless two injuries happen).

PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

That's likely true. Hopefully, we'll have no injuries, but they do happen. Also, Crowder could wind up getting traded. J. Smith has a lot of potential, particularly for his YAC ability.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The season is long, actually longer now.Don’t bet that all the starters will be there for all the games. Every one has a role to play, We need an all hands on deck attitude and next man up ready when the time comes.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

When they are up by 3 TDs in the 4th they will need to rest the starters

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Full pads today. We’ll get a better feel for the o line and the run game this practice.

NCJetsfan and KY Jets Fan like this.
  12. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Berrios is a beast and will find away onto the field

13. SmashMouth

SmashMouth Active Member

Maybe as a Punt Returner.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

It was a little tongue in cheek, but he is going to force his way into the field in certain situations. Love his skillset. He is the one who is going to replace Crowder next year.

15. NCJetsfan

I hope not. I'd rather see him on the field as a slot WR. At least he can make some big plays from there. As a PR, he's pretty much a lock to fair catch. He's as bad or worse than Jeremy Kerley. I want someone as a PR who is at least a threat to break off a long return, but hopefully we'll have one that does break off some big returns.

16. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

19. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.