Trading down for future picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Cidusii, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Just wondering, but what are people's thoughts on trying to trade down this year to pick up future picks in the first two rounds next year? From what people are saying, it sounds like there are no real good QB prospects this season, would it be good to stock on picks for next season to have the ability to trade up for one in 2014?

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

not in my opinion. Team has too many holes besides just QB. I am however in favor of trading down as often as possible in the first to pick up 2nd and thirds this year.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Let's say the Jets 9 pick is on the clock and the draft has gone like this:

1. KC - Manti Te'o (ILB)
    2. Jax - Star Lolutei (DT)
    3. Oak - Geno Smith (QB)
    4. Phi - Luke Joeckel (OT)
    5. Det - Bjoern Werner (DE)
    6. Cle - Damontre Moore (DE)
    7. Ari - Taylor Lewan (OT)
    8. Buf - Matt Barkley (QB)
    9. Jets

Ok, so now the Chiefs are on the phone to the Jets. They didn't want Geno Smith on the 1 and they didn't want Matt Barkley at all. They took Manti Te'o because he was the player Scott Pioli considered the safest star prospect in the top 5, because nobody was willing to trade up for the 1 and because Pioli does some strange things with top 10 picks.

However they really like another of the QB's in the draft and the Bills obliged them by jumping on Matt Barkley when he dropped to the 8. So they offer the Jets the 34 and the 65 plus their 1st round in 2014 for the 9 pick.

The value is even for the Jets if the Chiefs have the 15 pick or better in the 2014 draft. The Chiefs will be starting a rookie, Matt Cassell or Brady Quinn at QB in 2013. The deal could be an absolute steal for the Jets if the Chiefs get another top 5 pick. And the Jets get a bit of depth for the year by adding another pick in 2013 in the trade down.

Ok, now here is where it gets really interesting. The Jets scouting department has 3 or 4 guys left on the board at QB but nobody they want to take on the 9. There's a very good chance however that one of those guys gets down to the 34.

The Jets pull the trigger on the deal and wind up taking Landry Jones or Aaron Murray on the 34. They have their own 2nd rounder on the 40 to add a RB, G or T. They have an extra 3rd rounder also so they'll get two good digs in the talent pile there. They also have what could realistically be an extra top 5 pick in the 2014 draft.

And they have the QB on the 34 + the extra player in the 3rd round + the extra 1st next year instead of a blue chip prospect on the 9.

Looks like a win to me.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

You had me up until Landry Jones in the second... You of all people who say they wouldnt touch him until the 6th round confuses me. I wouldnt invest a pick in Murray at this point either considering we would then have 2 1st round picks from below average teams and can have a real shot at a QB like Bridgewater next year. If you have a shot at Bridgewater then you pull the trigger and that 2nd round pick in Murray or Jones is a waste.

I would love this scenario if the Jets took Gio Bernard at 34 instead.

As for the OP, yes I would love to trade down and pick up a 1st round pick for next year if the team is not a good team. If we are talking about a 1st round pick from like the Broncos, 49ers, Packers ect theres no way. I we are talking Raiders, Bills, Jags, Titans, Cards, Chargers I would definitely do it.

5. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Unfortunately, to many if's. Kansas City has a pretty good roster, and will be a competent defense with the addition of Teo. I don't see them going after a QB in round 1, unless they can trade down, which is almost a certainty to try.

Right now Glennon is a 2nd round prospect, but by draft time, imo, he will be the top QB. I really hope he gets by Buffalo.

6. Br4d

B

double post

7. Br4d

I wouldn't touch any of the QB prospects on the 9 this year. Too much bust potential vs not enough star potential. It's a draft full of Jay Cutler prospects in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother drafting what's sitting there on the 40 either, because by then the value at QB will have been picked out of the draft and a 40 pick is a really expensive investment when it is spent on other people's leavings.

I think taking a shot at a guy that was going to go in the next few picks on about the 34 is the way to go. That or wait until the 6th round and invest very little on other people's leavings.

I think you can make an argument that Aaron Murray, Landry Jones, Tyler Wilson and Mike Glennon are all going to get serious consideration by QB-needy teams by their 2nd round pick. In the example above I'd think KC was trading up to take Wilson or Glennon. I'd guess that the other might go late 1st.

That leaves Murray and Jones available at the top of the 2nd round and odds are good one of those guys goes in the first few picks of the round. The other might well drop to the 6th round if the NFL collectively decided there was a real issue that had prevented teams from taking him up high where the other QB's went.

There are several other QB's in the draft that are going to get attention by teams in the mid-rounds. Tyler Bray, Ryan Nassib, Zac Dysert, etc.

History tells us that 11 QB's is about what you'd expect to go in a draft with this many prospects and teams in dire need of a QB. The key thing to getting the most out of the draft is not to spend more than you have to on the guy you'd like to purchase.

8. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

like this idea and would love to see Bridgewater as a Jet next season and if were that bad Clowney would make our D unstoppable

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

I would love a scenario where we trade 9 for a 2014 1st from a below average team and get their 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th this year. Then this year try and get Gio and Warford in the second and Wheaton in the 3rd. Then in 2014 we hopefully get two top ten picks in what looks to be avery top heavy draft and try and get our franchise QB in Bridgewater and who knows with the other 1st round pick depending how high they are- maybe Lee, Watkins, Barr? That would completely rebuild this roster.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Bridgewater intrigues me.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wow, so nice to see we have a ton of GMs right here..the Jets don't need to do anything but read this site.

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Nice to see we have a condescending prick here. If you don't like the draft forum, most of us would be more than happy if you stayed out of it.

13. heartpumpsgreen

heartpumpsgreen Active Member

I don't think the Jets should go into the draft with a definitive "trade down" strategy, because if they love someone who is projected to go early, they shouldn't play games. However, if they covet someone clearly projected to be picked later than 15-20, it would be awesome if they traded down to get an extre 2nd or 4th, whatever.

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, this team needs a lot of depth to be competitive because injuries and such happen and our shelves are bare. no real money for free agents and this is a draft that's really heavy on 2-4th round talent but light on first round talent once you get past the top 5 or 6 players. There are a lot of players that will go in the first round that make sense for teams that are already well built and just have one or two holes of consequence.

But the reality is for the Jets they need a RB, a QB, a WR, an OT, 2 OG's, 2 OLB's, a safety and possibly a Corner. And in this years draft in the bottom of the first through the 4th we can fill many of those needs quite adequately. Granted probably no superstars among them, but a lone superstar does not make this team competitive, unless it's a QB and well, the drafts not got any sure fire superstars in it at QB.

15. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you regarding us needing a lot of talent at many positions. In this draft my initial focus is on OL and LB's. I'm not completely sold on Brick and Mangold going forward and wouldn't mind trading one for some extra picks.

16. Jonky

Jonky Banned

I know it's sacrilege, but I'd trade Revision for a #1 this year and next and if it's a late first get a three or four this year as well. Jets D did fine without him and the picks would go a long way to filling holes. Then the cap considerations would allow the Jets to go after several quality FA's.

Plus Brick and Mangold just signed new contracts recently and the pro rated accretion would kill the cap worse than dumping Sanchez.

17. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

This team needs an offensive line

The thought of trading all our draft picks to go all in on a QB next year is just stupid to me

Build the OL, establish a running game, and find a QB who could hold the fort in our system.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The problem with trading Revis is it opens up another hole and there's no guarantee that hole can be filled or the player we get will succeed. What if Cromartie struggles against our tougher schedule next year then what. What if the pass rusher we get busts or the QB busts.

We know what we're getting with Revis and thats something no other team gets with their corners. He makes Cro, Kyle and everyone on the D better because he buys time for the pass rush. Allows the safeties to roam, allows Cro and Kyle to defend less talented receivers. He's stout against the run, always makes tackles. He's a stud, you dont trade studs

19. laxin

laxin Active Member

We managed pretty well with that hole. Cromartie is a very good #1 and KW is a decent #2... You draft a CB in the 3rd to develop and play nickel and you are fine.

Im all for trading Revis, especially if it can get us a 1 next year and some picks this year.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

what receiving corps did we play that really challenged our secondary and who knows if that CB will become anything close to what we need