Trade UP for Lawrence

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you wanted to go 0-16 Gase was the guy to do it. His team was divided into offense and defense, never approaching a coherent whole and the part he was in control of was the weakest link.

The problem is that it is very hard to lose out. On any given Sunday you can run into a hundred different ways to accidentally win a game and that's why only 3 teams have gone 0-fer-the-season since the merger.

If the Jets were going to fire Gase they had to do it very early on, at 0-5 or 0-6 and even then there was no miracle in the offing. Leveon Bell still sucked after a coaching change, Denzel Mims was still recovering from the rookie yips and the line was still jelling. Darnold was just as screwed with a new HC either installing a different system or trying to figure out WTF Gase had been doing.

So letting Gase march on into the desert was the right move and certainly after the Jets got out to 0-10 and a real shot at the #1.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's controversial and I 100% understand why they didn't do this but I would've installed a puppet interim coach with clear instructions to not win a single game. In most cases I would be completely against such a move but I think being in the driver's seat to get a once every 10 years QB prospect would justify the move.

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Because Urban Meyer is a confident prick and IF he really feels that Fields and Lawrence are close than he might feel those picks are a bonus.

Fields Pro day will be Huge in this process. If he blows scouts away and Lawrence is under the knife... Meyer might be able to be swayed

4. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Nobody wanted to go 0-16 before the season started. It was only after a few games when it became clear just how bad the team was and how legit our shot was at not winning a game. At that point Gase should have been fired immediately and the interim coach should have received a directive to cut all the old players (most especially gore) and play all young players who had the potential to be part of a future team. If you aren't playing for a playoff spot there is *zero* reason to play any old player for a single minute. It was crystal clear that Gase was going to use Gore as his workhorse until he was fired or Gore's body gave out. He should have been fired long ago.

#24 Frenbar, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Lawrence is the highest rated QB coming out of college in many years.

Watson with his injury history, contract, and age should not be valued as highly in my opinion.

Rockinz likes this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Watson has proven to be an elite NFL QB and besides a freak non contact injury in his rookie year, has been durable as a pro.

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Meyer was gone by the time Fields got there. I also don't think he would've even taken the job if not for Lawrence. Meyer has raved about Lawrence in the past.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  8. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The Jets are there to make sure Jacksonville takes Lawrence.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

On the contrary. I'm sure the Jets were overheard making comments like: "wow, that was an ugly throw!" or "can't this guy run faster than that?" or "oh man, that would have been intercepted in the NFL!"......etc.

REVISion likes this.
  10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Good stuff. Nice place to meet every team that is looking for a QB.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

When he was working for Fox and was asked to evaluate them he said they were close as prospects this year.

Actually he helped recruit Fields to Ohio st but yes he didn’t coach him.

12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

No reason to even try to trade up for TL.
    Jags not listening for one...

Still have a chance for Watson who is a proven NFL commodity if you want to trade away picks.

Also talk on Zach Wilson is growing.

I’m not sure there’s any area Lawrence has over on Wilson. Wilson’s college tape is as good as Mahomes (doesn’t mean he will transition the same to the NFL), but his ability to go through progressions, his down field accuracy, release, ability to throw off balance, different arm angles are all things that dwarf Lawrence...

If his medicals check out, the Jets may end up with a franchise Qb + could you imagine in 3 years we look back and say, the Jets got lucky not having the #1 pick...