Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I really wish we knew what the latest offer on the table was for Mo. Was it near $86M over 6 years putting him just above Malik Jackson? Or did they throw something closer to Cameron Jordan's number, $55M over 5 years?

Even if they went to the high side they could get it done and free up enough cap space to also sign Fitz to a $9M or so deal, as well as leaving enough to sign the draft picks.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's surprising that no numbers have leaked over 2 years of negotiations at this point. We've had a lot of speculation that Mo was looking to break the bank with a Watt-level deal however hard numbers have not been leaked at any point. That suggests that both sides have been negotiating in good faith and unwilling to poison the negotiations with a leak. It also suggests that positions have hardened, since we've never heard of an imminent deal in the works or had the Jets suggest that a deal would eventually get done somehow.

I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that the Jets believe Mo is a very good player but not a superstar and that the Jets defense has been setup to essentially show-case him during the Rex years and in Bowles first year. They probably evaluate him as an excellent 3-4 DE who has had very good run defenders alongside him, allowing him to really pressure the pocket. They probably think with the level of help that he's had his numbers are very good but not great.

I'm guessing that they really don't see him as a J.J. Watt/Bruce Smith level player but a level below that. I think they are not willing to pay him as though he is a transformational superstar for the defense when he is just a very good piece instead.

I'd agree with all of the above. If he was a superstar then you have to pay him like one but if he's just an excellent player in the scheme, well you can replace that and the odds are pretty good the Jets have the replacement on the roster already.

NCJetsfan, LAJet and Zach like this.
  3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Mac and Bowles run a tight ship - how many rumours got out about our draft selections last year. I love this about our current Management Team.

4. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Anthony Davis from the 49ers available. May be worth a flyer as a Breno replacement.

5. Br4d

Good cap numbers for a RT on Davis. The Jets could rework the deal to incentivize Davis not to retire again for 4 years and use him in place of Breno Giacomini. He's a pretty good tackle.

Mo for Davis and the 49er's 4th rounder?

6. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Mo for Davis and a 2nd sounds more like it. Closer to what NE got for Jones.

Also, after a year off, you aren't entirely sure what you'll get with Davis.

7. Br4d

I don't think the 49ers are going to give up a 2nd round pick in any deal. They're rebuilding. We'll be lucky to get them to throw in a 4th.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I like the idea, but I think we can get a better pick than that. Maybe a 3 or even a 2 if we're lucky.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

there is no way you let Mo go for less than a high second rounder...

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I am not drafting a QB in this draft unless one of the top guys drops. There are so many needs across the board that I am all for giving Petty a chance at starting either next year or the following year. Assuming Fitz is resigned, then let Geno and Petty battle for the back up job this year, with an eye towards working Petty in the following season. I would certainly like to see Petty get the lion share of snaps this pre-season and not just mopping up.

11. Br4d

Whoever the starter is will get the most snaps. That's why being a backup is kind of self-limiting. You just don't get the same look the starter does. A 1st or 2nd round pick who is seen as a potential starter gets more snaps early in camp but then things revert back to the starter if the new guy has not impressed much. The last pre-season game the guy who gets most of the snaps is usually somebody the team has a very limited investment in. A project who will not kill the season if he gets hurt.

12. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

This exactly. Especially knowing we could have him on the field this year and still get a 3rd round comp pick for him next year.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That third round pick next year is a bottom of the third round, so more like a 4th round pick, and picks a year away are considered a round lower than this year, so in some ways, it would be like getting a 5th round pick for Mo.

I also don't understand the desire to have him for one more year. The only way I'd want for that to happen is if Mac were magically able to fix the OL before TC started, Fitz came to his senses and signed for $7 million and the Jets were one of the favorites to compete for the Lombardi Trophy. Otherwise, I think he should be traded now, get what we can for him and get the cap space.

#173 NCJetsfan, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    RochesterJet likes this.
  14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Well damn the MF torpedos if we pull another 2009 style move for a QB.......this years crop is not worth it.

I wouldn't mind a slither up a few spots in round 1 for a OT. Would also rather leverage wilk for a pick this year and a pick next year.

15. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

If the Jets can't get a 1st for Wilkerson what about 2017 1st rounder. That would give us 2 1's next year to go along with 3 3rds (compensatory picks)
    with plenty of $$$$ to spend.

NCJetsfan and NotSatoshiNakamoto like this.
  16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

good thinking here

17. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

At present, we project no compensations picks.

18. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

At present nobody has any compensation picks. I am kinda reading in between the lines. Snacks got big $$$, and Ivory got swooped right up. That is all.

19. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

You are correct, none have been awarded. Harrison, Ivory, Davis lost. Forte, McLendon,Jenkins gained. Net is zero players. We might get something on differences on salaries but current projections show no pick and if so it would be a single seventh.

20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Much pipe dreaming here if you think the Jets are going to surrender Mo for anything less than a 2nd rounder and a player. Give Mac some
    credit for not being hasty trigger puller. He's holding the cards and my guess is they won't be revealed til draft day.