Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Then f it. Even though we can only start 2 defensive ends at their natural position, why stop at 3? Let's get even more. How about we set a goat for 10. Let's get 10 all pro defensive ends on our team. We can put one at olb, we can make one a power runner. We can have one play qb. Maybe we can get one or two to play CB. Revis isn't going to get any younger.

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Increase in cap leads to more money for the players. This is the new NFL and a player with 50M in guaranteed cash will not severely cripple the cap. GMs find a way to make the cap space spread, and if an issue were to happen they would find a way to get out of the contract. It's about being creative. Not paying your elite homegrown talent means you will remain mediocre UNLESS you are a great drafting team and well when the last time the Jets found a 2 time 2nd team all pro?

4. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

we play four man fronts a majority of the time. they all excel playing the 3 tech and mo and lenny are great strong side ends ... they also need to be spelled occasionally. all three of them can play often

5. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If this was possible, then yes. It would be a win win trade for both teams.

The 49ers had the 29th overall defense and 29th against the run. They could draft Buckner/Jack/Bosa and get Wilkerson as their second round pick. They'd instantly improve their defense. Essentially, they'd trade a retired player (non asset) and a 2nd rounder for an a 26 year old all pro. The downside is that they'd have to pay him $15+ a year.

For the Jets, they'd pick up a 26 year old RT in Davis, who started every game for the 49ers. He'd be a long term starter. The 37 pick also allows the Jets to grab a really good young player, or even trade back into the first round.

Imagine if they were able to come away with Lynch at #20, and trade both 2nd rounders to get back into the 20s and draft Treadwell or Spence?

6. KingRoach

Source? My understanding is that we play a 3-4 base.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The good teams don't guarantee a lot of money to anybody but the QB.

Go look at overthecap.com at the highest contracts with the most guaranteed money. If you see a lot of guaranteed money next to anybody but a QB the odds are excellent that team did not make the playoffs last year and has generally done poorly in that regard in recent years. Mediocre teams sell out to attract marquee players all the time but that's what they're doing, they're selling out because they haven't been successful at finding a QB and winning in general.

Look at who splurged last year. The Fins spent a huge amount of money in free agency and fell short. The Jets spent a huge amount of money in free agency and fell short. The Bills spent a lot of cash in house and in free agency and fell short. Spending a lot of money on players who don't play QB is just spending a lot of money. It doesn't make you a better team it just helps you run in place on the treadmill. Teams do this to market and for public perception all the time and many of them know that's all they're doing.

Look at who splurged this year. The Giants basically went berserk because they've been a bad team for several years after spending a huge amount of money to retain Eli. They're trying to put it all together again for one more run before Eli goes but the odds are against them and the aftermath will be very nasty if they fail. The Jaguars spent a lot on Malik Jackson because they haven't been able to create success through the draft. Odds are that move will fail because Malik Jackson isn't going to have the impact that his cap number suggests and all their young players who are moving into the neighborhood of second contracts sat up and took notice when the Jags spent like a drunken sailor on Jackson.

Teams that splurge in free agency generally fall short. Teams that spend a lot to retain anybody but the QB tend to decline or run in place on the treadmill. Even teams that overpay for their own QB will see declines over time unless their drafting is exceptionally astute or lucky.

edray10 and Jets69 like this.
  8. All Gas No Shake

we are a 3-4 base, but we are in sub packages more than we are in base

9. KingRoach

We went from a 4 win team to a 10 win team. I'd hardly say we "fell short" and it certainly wasn't a bad investment.

Jets_Grinch and All Gas No Shake like this.
  10. KingRoach

A majority of our sub packages aren't 4-3. So I'll ask again. Source?

11. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with this theory is that it's difficult to find a QB worthy of throwing a lot of guaranteed money at. With the new CBA there is a salary floor, in which you MUST spend a certain amount over a time period. If a team hasn't found a franchise QB in that time, they may as well spend it on other key positions (LT, pass rusher, etc)

If we could find a young above average QB I'd be in complete agreement with you.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was a terrible investment from the standpoint of 2 years out. We basically spent a ton of money to bring in post-prime stars who will age out on us in a hurry. The prime guys we brought in were mostly overpaid, with maybe Carpenter at true market value. Skrine is making a silly amount of money for a nickel CB.

How old is Marshall? How old is Revis? How old was Cro? How old are our free agent acquisitions this year? We're running in place so far in the new regime.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is real?

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Because the implication is that the QB has to be very good to get really big money. I agree wholeheartedly. I am so tired of Mo talk. We cannot even get a couple of picks for the guy. You would think he was All World on this site. I am so sorry Sheldon turned out to be a knucklehead. I still believe that a good Sheldon is better than Mo.

STARoSCREAM likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

i didnt say they were 4-3, i said they were four man fronts ... i cant find the article that i read with about our front percentages

16. 101GangGreen101

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Saying that we cannot even get a couple picks for Mo is not rooted in fact. We don't know what has happened in negotiations between Jets and interested suitors. I think it's much more likely that the Jets have a price in mind that they would feel comfortable moving him for which hasn't been met and that's why he hasn't been moved.

I am certainly not convinced that the Jets feel as though they have to move him and just haven't gotten any offers.

Do agree that a good Sheldon is better than Mo but unfortunately you can't rely on a good Sheldon.

jdon likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Do the Jets have a QB right now? Do you see them paying one 100M in the next 2 seasons? Also you can argue when a QB gets big money it holds the rest of the team down. See Drew Brees and Joe Flacco.

Mo is an integral piece of the defense that allows others to thrive while he gets his own. Just remember who takes on the double teams to open things up for others. Those type of players are not replaceable.

BomberJet likes this.
  19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

spot on.

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

your example is 2 guys who won a superbowl?