Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No. As far as I know, Jets fans are split, but I don't know how evenly or unevenly we are split. I just know that some think he's a HOFer and should be kept, and others of us think he's a very good, but not great player, and not worth what he's asking for, especially since we also have Richardson and Williams. Those of us in the latter camp don't think there's any way the Jets will keep all three, Mo is the most marketable player they have, and could be used to help address other holes on the team. The Jets have been trying to re-sign him for 3 years now and according to reports, they are not even in the same area code. I believe he will be traded before or during the draft.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Tanner Pudum.

_

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Because you don't tie up a ton of money, especially guaranteed money in a player that isn't a JJ Watt level player, especially, when you have one other player at the same position on your roster who are just as good, and another who is potentially just as good.

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

why do people want to trade mo and keep sheldon?

5. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

also i do not fully understand the whole 'we will have to pay 3 linemen an insane amount of money'. we have leonard on his rookie contract for the next 4 years (assuming we pick up his 5th year option)

his 2nd contract does not have to have a huge cap hit the same year that mo does, assuming mac structures mo's contract with this mind. this is totally fair to assume, as time and time again mac has made contracts frontloaded

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Bc Sheldon hurt his trade value last offseason and bc every report that I've read says the jet's brass thinks Richardson is a better prospect.

I hope this information helps you.

legler82 likes this.
  7. KingRoach

I was with you on the highlighted text until I realized your issue wasn't with paying 3 people to be our des (1 too many) but your issue was with how much we pay them.

Try looking at it from this angle. However the money is structured, it's still spent. This isn't baseball. Every dollar that we spend is a dollar that we can't spent somewhere else.

Instead of asking yourself how we can find a way to keep 3 highly talented des on the roster, ask yourself what other position can we shore up if we only keep 2 highly talented des.

I hope this helps you understand things better.

8. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry, but I'm so sick of seeing the bolded that I could puke. IMO that's desperate, blind, fantasy, childhood fan thinking. No GM thinks like that.

I'm also tired of your twisting my words, and your making straw man arguments. You either need to brush up on you reading comprehension skills or quit trying to twist my words. I never said they didn't want Mo here. I said Mac would never pay him what he wants because it's out of line with the value Mac sees for Mo.

The Jets are NOT better off keeping him. That's just blind, short-sighted thinking. No team or media "expert" has said they'll only get a single 3rd round pick for Mo, but even if it is, a 3rd round pick this year, is much better than a 4th round pick (because a compensatory pick is closer to the next lower round than it is the actual round it's in) in 2017 or 2018. Everyone knows that future picks have less value than current picks. A 3rd round pick next year is equivalent to a 4th round pick this year. Then there's always the risk that Mo could suffer a serious injury this season and would have no trade value at all next year. Then the Jets would be forced to release him or overpay to keep him. There's nothing to be gained by keeping him this season. IMO that "anything can happen" is just wishful thinking BS for children, not grown men.

9. NCJetsfan

With regards to the bolded portion, precisely. That's why if Mac can trade him now, he will, rather than keeping him til next year and likely losing him for a 3rd round compensatory pick, or nothing.

10. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

that didn't really help with anything because i am basically saying we can have all 3 on the roster and not destroy our cap situation

you can give mo a huge contract (which he does deserve) and front load it so the big cap hits are when leonard is on his rookie contract

11. KingRoach

Question: You know what's even better than having 3 rockstar defensive ends (when only 2 can start in a 3-4 base)?

Answer: having 2 rock star defensive ends and a rockstar ______ (ol, olb,ilb etc).

Even if the contract is front loaded, it still needs to be paid. NFL salary caps don't reset annually. If you don't spend X this year, you can spend it next year. If that wasn't the case, you're thinking would be spot on. It's not the case though.

So let's say by some miracle, a healthy Justin Houston came on the market and we could either have him or an extra de. Who do you choose?

12. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

That's assuming you CAN get rockstar -----------; just because you save money doesn't mean there's anything to spend it on or that you spend it on the right person.

I'd rather they just trade Mo now cause I'm already tired of the speculation/drama and it's patently obvious at this point (especially after the Woody comments earlier this offseason) he and his agent are looking for some megacontract they're not getting here. Plus IF he stays and Sheldon does get in hot water again Mo's leverage goes through the roof. But it seems like everything's on hold for a year, unless they pull a draft day surprise.

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

No Jet fans are just tired of always having contract drama with their drafted star players. First Keyshawn, then Revis, now Mo.

14. KingRoach

Mo>Nothing
    Mo<solid prospect at a low cost
    Mo<a player of slightly less talent but at a position that should be improved

I'm in Chicago with tix to day two... I'm really hoping for a Friday surprise.

No one wants to sign in sf as a free agent plus balkee doesn't have a strong draft history. Goodbye Mo, hello Anthony Davis and pick 37!

15. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I was thinking Davis and a swap of firsts would work as well.

16. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

This would be a fair trade for all parties involved IMO. Especially now that Davis has said he wants out of SF. I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Davis and the 37 would be a great trade at this point. This assuming that Davis is looking to come back and play, not just renegotiate for some more upfront money and then retire again in two years.

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

abraham too

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

those kind of players rarely hit the market ... im not going to let mo go for some miracle scenario that may never come to fruition

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Actually plenty of GMs do. It's called remaining competitive while building for the future. You can go ahead and grab that garbage and puke, but that is the reality of the situation, not some fantasy. GMs and Coaches want to win every year and want to put their team in that situation, those are the good teams. I think your idea of building a team is similar to the Browns, or Titans. Top picks year in and year out, tanking but nothing comes out of it really. No playoffs, no winning culture, etc.

Jets are better off next season keeping Mo, and I believe the Jets are not sweating if they can or cannot trade Mo before the draft. If they see good value in a trade [which looks to be a first or high second, then they can pull the trigger. Like I said, the compensation in terms of a 3rd round pick via trade and a compensatory pick ain't shit. Why don't you keep you hand off the panic red button?