Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand his not wanting to negotiate during the season to some extent. How much of a distraction is it really, when his agents do all the negotiating? I think that's just an excuse to put pressure on the Jets. If he really wanted to stay, he'd be willing to talk imo.

I couldn't possibly disagree more with the rest of your post. Winning another game or two this season is meaningless unless that translates into winning the SB, which is not gonna happen. It's not about stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks, but rather building a team. If he can get another piece or two of the puzzle for Mo, he should. Mo is obviously not in the the Jets' future plans. Quit living in denial and accept that fact.

"Seeing what happens next season" is silly. He's not gonna re-sign here. Mac's not gonna pay him what he wants. Why should he? The only way Mo would have a change of heart is if he suffered a major career-threatening injury this coming season. Then no one would sign him to a big contract as a FA and he'd be untradeable. Probably the only way Mac would have a change of heart is if Richardson fails another drug test, gets suspended for a year and Williams suffers a major injury.

Letting him walk and only getting a 3rd round compensatory pick would be stupid when they could quite possibly trade him now and get more, and gain the extra cap space to use this season which could help the team in any number of ways.

2. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

Actually waiting till next season makes perfect sense. If we don't get what he is worth (which every analyst says is a 1st rounder to a second rounder) then we keep him till next year when we can afford to pay him 15 million a year and sign him. No one has said he doesn't want to be here at all, they have said he doesn't want to be here unless he gets paid. And if Sheldon gets in trouble again it make total since to let him go instead of Mo.

3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We can currently afford to pay him $15m/yr.

Source: we pay him 15m+/yr.

4. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

Yes but people think we have to trade him and resign fitz. They act like that is our only option. It's not. We can restructure other (I don't like this option but it is an option). You don't just give up a star player for 2 third round picks. Next year when over 50% of the De's drafted this year fail Mo will still be worth a 1st or more. We can franchise again and trade then. Not like we don't have options.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. We may be able to afford to pay him next year, but we could have afforded last year, or even this year, if Mac were willing to pay him. He isn't. He obviously doesn't value Mo that highly.

If Mo really wanted to be here, he'd be willing to negotiate during the season and do everything he could to come to an agreement. It's time to move on.

6. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

That's not true at all. Mac came last year to this contract issue. He took a year to assess the team. He know Sheldon has more talent than Mo but has major off field issues. Does he sign Mo to 16-20 million a year or wait for the more talented play to have a chance to fix his issues? Sheldon would be worth way more than Mo if not for his stupidity. We have 3 majorly talented defensive ends.. and we have time. Why not use it? Mode is probably getting frustrated because of the time it is taking Mac.. but Mac has all the leverage. He can franchise and trade next year when there aren't nearly as many de in the draft. Just show Mac isn't dumb enough to give away a good player for nothing.

7. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Agree...Mac will get what he believes Mo's value is or he will retain him. Its that simple... AS

KingRoach likes this.
  8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

What does that even mean?

9. Bills over Jets

Is the consensus among jets fans that he's not worth it? If he's a top DL in the league, that's just what they are making nowadays.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think he is going to get around 80 to 90M with about 50 to 60M in guaranteed cash. The problem is he's a far better player then Malik Jackson and Olivier Vernon. He should've been extended instead of us getting Revis.

#470 101GangGreen101, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There is no consensus lol. The argument for trading Mo is that we can't afford to lock up three defensive linemen, and we already have Richardson and Williams. They should be cheaper if we can lock them up now rather than waiting until they get close to free agency. And we could use the cap space and assets we can get in a Mo trade. The argument against it is that Richardson is a screwball and we should try to lock up Mo, even at a higher price, and let Richardson walk if we can't afford him.

12. 101GangGreen101

It gets us a ticket in the big dance and anything can happen after that. If the Jets somehow make a run this season, don't you think that changes the mind-set in terms of negotiating with a player? Might be a little easier, might be a little harder but regardless at least we were able to get in that position and build on it.

If the Jets never wanted Mo to be here, he would've been gone with the small compensation we'll end up getting if he walks next season anyway and that's a 3rd round pick. Jets are better off keeping him now and letting him walk then getting another 3rd round pick IMO via trade this off-season. The difference in value between a 3rd round pick acquired from a team and a compensation pick ain't shit.

13. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

This I agree with. I like Revis. But Mo earned his money. Like I said though it's not over yet. Mac won't trade Mo unless he gets what he wants in compensation, that would make no sense.

14. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

It wouldn't even be compensation pick.... I don't see Mac as dumb as most people do I guess. He can franchise and trade next year if it doesn't get don't this year... Mo will still only be 27 and have about the same price tags.. the dline depth next year is no where near what it is this year as far as the draft. Just because he couldn't make it happen this year means nothing... and hell maybe the online depth will be better next year.... or wr.. we could find Marshall's replacement...

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Josh Norman just got 50mil guaranteed, which is a ridiculous number for a zone corner with one good season.

50-60mil is definitely reasonable for a top 5 DL who can play every position on the line at a high level.

The problem with every negotiation is that sports agents use average annual salary as a selling point to their clients to trick them into thinking they are getting more than just a few years with a fat bonus because they want those clients to think those agents aren't just negotiating for the fat premium the agent is making with the guaranteed money.

So now fans are obsessed with average annual salary because players are obsessed with it because their agents WANT them to be obsessed with it.

The guaranteed number matters. The rest is window dressing.

And Mo is more than worth 50+ up front.

16. 101GangGreen101

Revis is one of the greatest talents I've ever seen in a Jets jersey, but I didn't want him anywhere near this team once he left. Revis great guy and he should be about his money, but he should've gotten his money elsewhere. I think Mac some sort of escape plan, or at least he should have one developed by now.

Mo is a special talent in my opinion. One of the best 2 way interior lineman in the league. Most sacks at 300 pounds last season since Warren Sapp, but his game isn't flashy and his dirty work goes unnoticed with this fan-base. No off the field issues.

17. Joseph Graw

Joseph Graw Member

I agree with Mo being worth it.. My point is Mo is worth more than the 3rds

SouthBayJetsfan4life likes this.
  18. Bills over Jets

I would agree with that. If there's any d-lineman the jets should keep and pay its Wilkerson.

But why can't they afford him right now? I'm trying to think of who the big contracts on the team would be, and I can only really come up with Revis, and I'm sure Marshall is anywhere from 8-10 mil but shouldn't be double digits. Who's eating up all the money?

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nobody is worth $50M+ guaranteed in a capped system when there's no way to recoup the cap space if they get injured. It's just not worthwhile to make that type of investment.

From the player's point of view it's what they should be looking for but from the team's perspective it is all risk.

PUP/IR should reduce and in some cases remove cap impediments. They'd have to be careful how they setup the language but there's no question that there's enough money out there for salaries to be higher. The impediment is the cap in most cases and that impediment is only there due to the likelihood the player will get injured and hurt his team's competitive stance both by his absence and their inability to fill his spot adequately due to cap constraints.

Word it like this:

1) If a player is placed on season-ending IR his team may take a cap exception for the amount of his prorated remaining cap figure in either the current or the immediately following season. If the player remains on the team's PUP/IR list the exception continues for as long as this is the case.

2) Any player placed on PUP/IR may file a grievance to void the designation with a neutral arbiter to decide whether the designation is appropriate or not.

3) If the neutral arbiter sides with the player the team is immediately fined an amount equal to the prorated cap figure and is not allowed to take an exception for the player's cap figure.

Bad contracts would still cripple a team and teams could not duck the consequences of bad contracts, since PUP means physically unable to perform - not physically unable to perform at the level of the contract. However players and teams could both duck the effect of a player's injury in terms of cap-crippling impacts that influenced contract offers.

20. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

My two cents is pay the man.
    Productive D-linemen don't grow on trees.
    Why is this so hard to understand?