Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Then that's even MORE insane! You don't cut a blockbuster deal like that to draft any position OTHER than QB. :p

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm with you with the exception of maybe a once in a generation pass rusher. It would be something if the Browns were able to make that trade and still get the #2 QB on the board. Don't know if that's realistic at all but they made a good deal IMO.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What tweet?

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

uh, the one you already responded to?

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Roseman expressed in his presser that the QB classes in the next couple of years don't look too promising in so many words. That's why they gave up so much even though QB was not an immediate need. I hope a few more QB prospects emerge in the next couple of years and that we are in position to land one.

6. HomeoftheJets

Oh, I thought you were talking about a new one. I don't think that tweet means the Eagles aren't going QB, it sounds more like a verbal gaffe.

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I guess you're right. You made me question it so I checked it out more and the GM explicitly said they're taking a QB.

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

How are SF and Chicago options but Cleveland isn't? They still have a pick in the top 10, right?

Br4d and legler82 like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Apparently they have too many draft picks to qualify.

We need a draft partner that has one single high draft pick to get the guy some moron wants or we'll never be a successful franchise.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Does it make it worth it to continue to try to nab mid round passers and pray one of them works out? Say Cardale/Connor Cook in a trade down late 2nd/3rd round? Hackenberg/Brisset/Hogan/Driskel 4th and beyond?

While I'm not a huge fan of the top of this quarterback class, the depth provides the league with a lot of experienced players in the mid rounds. Hackenberg and Cook were both 3 year starters, Hogan played his freshman year and was a 3 year starter, Prescott and Brissett were both 2 year starters with playing time early in their careers. A lot of winning among the guys mentioned above. Look at the potential gem Cincinnati may have found taking a big school winning quarterback in McCarron.

As you said it could be a dead two year period for quarterbacks after this draft. Might as well keep taking shots in the dark in at least the 4th and beyond.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the kind of haul a team that is already set at QB can get for the rights to draft Deshaun Watson next year where the class will not be as deep? These trades will seem like bargains.

FJF likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

Or in a year from now, Watson isn't even the top QB in the class.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

If he made that trade for a non-quarterback, he should be fired on the spot. Of course, there is no way that trade went down without the owner's explicit knowledge, but I digress . . .

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

True but I was thinking if they traded Mo to move up it would be somewhere in the 8-12 range. I see your point though

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Eagles are hoping for Wentz but will jump on Goff. I would think the Browns are looking at Lynch at 8. Of course the 49s or Denver could trade up for him.
    Id love to get Kaaya next year. Golden held him back with his coaching and under Richt next year he should really improve his #s but he is talented and tough and probablyt will be the first QB drafted next year.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly, and he probably should be fired immediately following the draft anyway. Too bad owners can't be fired too.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A fair number of middle to late 1st round QB prospects get taken in the top 10 because they're QB's.

Recent examples:

2014 - Blake Bortles (3)
    2012 - Ryan Tannehill (8)
    2011 - Jake Locker (8), Blaine Gabbert (10)
    2009 - Mark Sanchez (5)
    2006 - Matt Leinart (10)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lynch go in the top 10. He's big and he has an arm and he's got some buzz.

I also wouldn't have been surprised to see Geno Smith go in the top 10, nor Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel. QB makes teams reach more than any other position.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why is Cleveland no longer an option? The Browns just acquired a wealth of picks over the next two years. I think they're more likely to make an offer for Mo now from that position of strength in the draft.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think they'll be willing to trade down again. Why should they? They possibly might be willing to trade a pick or two for Mo, but again, why should they? They have a ton of picks and this is considered a very strong draft for DL. I don't know if they even have a need for DL help, but assuming they do, if they just want to make certain that they improve their chances of improving their DL, they could just use two of their picks on DL and wouldn't have to worry about signing Mo long term or paying him a ton of money. There's also the idea that by the time the young players they take this year and next develop and hit their primes, Mo will be over the hill or close to it, whereas their young DL would not be.

20. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

The Browns beat writer said the Browns aren't interested in trading for Muhammad Wilkerson. They want to build through the draft, and that wouldn't jive with Browns new money ball approach.