Trade Speculation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

If only Chip were the GM with the 9ers, we'd get 2 first rounders & Kap ( not that I want him) for Mo & the 7th we got from Denver in the Clady trade :)

2. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

I'm sorry but you don't just settle when it comes to trades just because. You're also forgetting the fact that he will be on the field next year wreaking havoc while Richardson is most likely suspended. Could we really afford to lose Harrison, Mo, and Sheldon for a period of time, next season. I don't think we can.

As far as the Oline goes it's really not as bad as it seems, you can't just magically get younger across the entire O line in one offseason... It's going to take quality draft picks and developing that talent over time.

Lastly cap space also is not much of a concern... We have a few contracts that can easily be restructured to save a few million here and there. It's not like we are all of a sudden going to start splurging on the free agents that are leftovers. We have plenty of cap room in the upcoming years where 5-10 million can easily be pushed back.

We have a very good chance of making the playoffs next year and we could make a run.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's not a matter of settling this season, but it sure will be next season, when all we get is a 3rd round comp pick. If he's on the field this season what good does it do? If you think the Jets are going to make and win the SB, you better put down the bong. It will be meaningless if he's here. If Sheldon is suspended, and Mo is still here then the Jets may win another game or two, but in the big picture it won't mean much. If they were to make the playoffs, in all likelihood they'd be one and done. I think the greater likelihood is that they're not gonna make the playoffs regardless, so Mo being here might be the difference between 8 wins and 6 wins. You seem to forget that the Jets signed Jarvis Jenkins, so it won't be the end of the world if Mo is gone and Richardson gets suspended.

As far as the OL, I'll just say that I disagree. If Clady is healthy and playing anywhere near his old form, the left side of the line will be solid, but the right side is a disaster waiting to happen. If Clady can't stay healthy or can't approach his old level of play, things could go down hill quickly on offense unless the Jets are able to get a quality LT in the first round that can step in and play well from day one.

I love how some of you guys just throw out restructuring guys left and right and think it's so easy to add more cap space. There is a cost to restructuring contracts, and it's not a good thing to routinely and blithely do.

I'm taking the long term view, which ultimately is what's best for the team. You can take the short term view if you want.

nycarl likes this.
  4. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The comp pick wouldnt be until 2018 draft, and that's assuming the Jets dont sign anyone.

5. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Time to call the Rams and see what they want for Foles...

6. NCJetsfan

How do you figure that? Comp picks are given the year following signings.

7. I'm with you about taking a long term view & unloading Wilk for anything above a 3rd is just smart business.

But i disagree about the OL...Strongly. Jet fans only seem to be happy with the OL when it is a completely loaded unit across the entire front 5.That's happened MAYBE 2-3 times in the entire franchise's history.The right side is not perfect & could use an upgrading...but a disaster?? They gave up the fewest sacks in the NFL last season with Ryan stinkin Fitzpatrick at QB & literally no safety valve for him to dump off to. They may not win style points & yes they are upgradable...but both Giacomini & Winters aren't anywhere near the disaster you are portraying them to be...unless of course we're playing Buffalo...Ugh now I'm thinking about about my Rex-hate...where's the Pepto?

8. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Are we talking if Mo plays out this year and then becomes a FA right? If that happens, he is a FA in 2017. Comp pick goes in the next draft (not 2017 draft), which would be 2018 I believe. You dont get comp picks the same year as free agents leave, its the year after.

9. NCJetsfan

It's cool that you disagree. Perhaps "disaster" was hyperbole, but I do think it can be a lot worse than you seem to think.

I can even understand why you disagree, but you seem to be forgetting two things (if not, you didn't mention them). One, sacks aren't the only important stat when it comes to OL play. There are also QB pressures, hurries and hits. The Jets' OL did give up a lot of those last season. At least statistically Giacomini was the worst OT in the NFL last year. Two, the reason the Jets gave up so few sacks is that Fitz makes quick reads, gets the ball out quickly, and is mobile so can avoid the rush. That's also the design of Gailey's offense. If Fitz isn't playing QB this season for the Jets, and they have a QB who's slower to make his reads/progressions, who doesn't get the ball out as quickly, and/or who is less mobile, the sacks could mount quickly this season. Giacomini is also a year older, and could easily be a step slower than last season.

I'm not one who thinks the Jets need five first round picks on the OL. I believe a very strong, good OL can be built with a #1 or #2 pick at LT (and sometimes lower if one is very good at scouting or very lucky), and the rest a mixture of mid-to-lower round draft picks and UDFAs. I just think that both Winters and Giacomini are well below average NFL OL. Perhaps if either Qvale or a rookie draft pick replaces Giacomini, then that combined with any improvement by Winters will be good enough. Perhaps Harrison or Dozier will step up this season and take the starting job away from Winters. I'm not gonna hold my breath on either, however. I want the Jets' offensive success to continue. I want them to become a better all around unit at both run blocking and pass protection. If the Jets can upgrade the right side of the OL and if Clady can stay healthy and even approach his old level of play, this could happen, as I believe Clady is a better run blocker than Brick by a pretty good margin. I just don't want them assuming everything will be ok and to continue ignoring the OL. If nothing else, it needs better depth.

The other issue is who is at QB if not Fitz. If it's Geno, he would definitely need stronger protection in order to succeed, but I wouldn't care as much in that case. Let the dummy take a beating. If we lost a bunch of games, it would give us a shot at Watson, the Clemson QB in next year's draft. If there's any chance that Petty will be starting, however, I want to keep him upright and healthy, so I definitely would want a big upgrade in the right side of the OL.

#189 NCJetsfan, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  10. NCJetsfan

Never mind, you're right. For some dumb reason I was thinking of his being signed this year as a FA. I need a 2nd cup of coffee. LATE night! LOL

Bills over Jets likes this.
  11. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

They'll be cutting Foles after the draft

12. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

That would make no damn sense. They're already paying for the man and at best they save 1.75 on a post June 1 cut. They don't have any dead money with case.

johnny likes this.
  13. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Yeah you're right we are only going to win 8 games so let's pack it in and call it a season lol..... Unless there is a 100% chance we are going to win the Super Bowl why even play? We should just trade Brandon Marshal while we are at it because he won't be here long term and we won't get any comp picks when he retires. That's flawed logic I'm sorry.

KingRoach likes this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Come on, dude, you get shitbashed like that 6 days a week. You probably should be drinking 50 cups of coffee a day.

Just to protect yourself.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

You wouldn't know logic if it slapped you upside the head.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Why?Are we playing a game tommorow?I wouldn't trade Chan Gaileys used underwear for Foles

17. NCJetsfan

Fuck no!

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

How many pairs do you have?

19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

What are you even saying at this point?

Marshall isn't eating up as much cap as, MO.

Marshall is under contract and will be next year as well.

Marshall is not due for any big pay day from us, so no complications for our future cap space.

Marshall is the best player at WR, by far, that unit is very mediocre without him.

MO is eating up a shit load of cap under the franchise tag.

MO is not under contract beyond this season.

MO is seeking a very big payday, which complicates and hinders our future cap. Which isn't ideal considering he isn't an impact player for us like a JJ Watt, he's not a major game changer, he plays a position that we are stacked at with or without him.

MO is currently the best player on the DL but not by far, he doesn't even have the highest ceiling in terms of potential out of the group.

MO will walk after this season, for nothing other than a 3rd round pick in 2018 draft. That Sucks for a talented player like Mo.

If you trade him now, you will certainly get much more compensation for him, cap relief, and we still have a strong DL in tact without him.

Why wouldn't you try and trade him this offseason?

Him being on this team, for this deason, isn't going to make or break us in terms of winning a Super Bowl.

So, what is the downside really?

I don't get it.

20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think the gentleman's point was to not settle. If the compensation isn't adequate then roll with a very talented and always well rested dline.

Regarding his suggestion that we trade Marshall: I believe he was being sarcastic. He was arguing with some douche that thinks the Jets can't win next year so there's no point to compete.