Trade Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Unfortunately even if we offered to eat a lot of his salary in trading him, who would even want him? He has got to be the worst starter in the league. If they could trade him for literally anything it is a HUGE victory for us.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

In a vacuum drafting an elite interior guy is fine, but when you do it as much as we have and not gotten anywhere with it thats the problem. In the past we just cant seem to hit on other picks to ever justify getting another interior guy.

Also to be honest, other than a few years of Mo and Sheldon and maybe 1 year of Leonard, these guys havent lived up to the hype. We certainlty have nothing to show for it after all this top draft picks later. I am hoping Quinnen turns out to be at least more consistently good to the point where we dont need to worry about his position for a decade. I still think offensive line in this league is becoming second to only QB in terms of importance. Even with bad defenses, you can still win with a good enough QB and an offensive line that can give him all day to run up the score.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  3. Maybe its that pesky rat problem in storage B at 1 Jets drive thats been the culprit for losing all along..

Acad23 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The bolded simply isn't true in the NFL, and it's not true in many fields or industries. It may be in some areas of "real" life but not in all. In almost any business it's a small world. People talk, and people and companies are known and get reputations. The NFL only has 32 teams. The owners know each other, the GMs know each other. All 32 teams know how well or how poorly the other 31 teams are run, managed and coached. The owners know who the other owners are who are doofuses and can be taken advantage of.

I guarantee you that if Douglas and Mac were both applying for a GM job before Mac had been GM of the Jets, and they were just going by their resumes, that Douglas's resume would have been considered superior to Mac's and that Douglas would have gotten an interview, if not the job, and Mac probably wouldn't have even gotten an interview. Where you got the experience (which team you worked for) and who you worked for (the GM of that team) makes all the difference in the world.

Obviously, you're gonna think what you want to think and see things the way you see them, but not one person has agreed with you. Not one. Several have agreed with me. Mac's experience with the Saskatchewan Rough Riders and World League of Football probably counted more against him than it did for him as those leagues are inferior to the NFL. Being an intern for the Redskins was also probably pretty meaningless.

5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Please trade Leo before deadline.

I’d be happy with a bag of footballs.

6. He’ll get well above his production level in FA & likely yield us a 3rd round comp pick.It doesnt make sense to move him for anything less than a 3 & a 7 or higher. Dont see it happening.Better off keeping him & letting him walk after season. He wont have earned it but he’ll get paid in FA given his age & potential.

ukjetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Exactly just look at the hierarchy of franchise tags.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Just LOL at Maccagnan placing a premium on DL and not OL.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

correct me if I'm wrong but a compensatory pick with him is no guarantee. they factor in who the Jets signed in free agency as well, and I don't want to see this team sitting on its hands just so they can get a late 3rd compensatory pick for Leonard Williams.

I also think there are intangible benefits to trading him anyway

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The problem is the NFL is only a competition on the football side of the business. At the ownership level it's a partnership between first generation self made billionaires and 2nd and 3rd generations who' claim to fame is pure nepotism.

When I went to the Galapagos Islands there's a bird called the flightless cormorant. This bird has actually lost its wings through evolution. The reason is, it lives on two islands where it has no predators at all.

The Jets ownership is very much like the flightless cormorant. They have evolved through inheritance. They literally want for nothing and have no clue how to get something without paying for it.

I can almost guarantee you that if Mac and Douglas were both applying for the job of Jets GM they would pay someone else to make the decision for them.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Do you really think an NFL team will look at Leonard Williams and think they should pay him a fortune because it will have a huge impact on the teams prospect to win? Most NFL teams use rotation to get production in the interior by keeping decent players fresh. Williams is a nice rotational player. He's not a game changer. I can see him getting paid a lot less in FA than people think.

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It’s completely unfathomable. The org hasn’t taken OL in round 1 since 2006. By the end of Macs tenure ‘11, ‘12, ‘13, ‘15, and ‘19 had seen the Jets taking a 3-4 DL in the 1st round lmao (I know he only started in ‘15). By the end of this year, only Q. Williams will still be on this team. If those picks had been OL, it would be a much different story and this team would be so much better.

I can’t understand how Mac could continue this trend when 1) we already had two 1st rounders on the DL when he took Williams and 2) by this years draft he saw what an utter failure the Jets have been because of 3-4 DL in that Mo, Coples, and Richardson were no longer on the team.

We drafted Winters in the 3rd in 2013 and he’s our highest OL drafted since 2006 (outside of Vlad in 2010) and we have held onto him for dear life, despite Winters being very average at best.

A toddler could have figured out the correct course of action long ago.

#92 Martin&theJETS, Oct 10, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Hes 25, has rare physical talent & has a pro bowl in his past. Not a playmaker but hidden production player.

Did trumaine johnson deserve to get paid as much as he did?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the extreme outlier is how it's looked at though. nobody wants to pass up the next aaron rodgers or aaron donald or luke keuchly etc etc to reach for a position of need. The draft is a crapshoot you are trying to predict the career path of a bunch of 20-23 year old athletes. You take the guy you think can be the next big star not the guy you think is maybe a decent player but fills a need. not with a top 10 pick at least which is where we always wind up picking.

15. GasedAndConfused

which really means that there isn't an issue with us taking a d-lineman top 5, the issue is more the inability to find good starters at certain positions in the middle rounds of the draft. Sometimes that's how the draft works and really for the past 5-6 years the o-line talent in the draft has been very poor. Thankfully this year is stacked at OT in the draft so I expect us to take 1 in the 1st and another one on day 2.

and yeah i agree obviously none of the lineman we drafted turned out to be great jets for a long time. they have had their years here and there (wilk was a monster before the injury and sheldon started off strong the 1st 2 years) Last time we took a d-lineman in the 1st that actually had a great jet career was probably shaun ellis

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can't cover up bad CB play. Rotational veteran DL men in the interior have been very successful at a very low cost.

17. GasedAndConfused

Of course people talk, and everyone talked very highly of mac. you think everyone told the jets he was an inept asshole and they hired him anyway? lol and no you can't guarantee that. hell a year before we hired mac, we hired a head hunter who gave us idzik. who was also highly touted but obviously didn't pan out.

Listen finding a GM is like drafting a player. you have a resume, interviews, etc but sometimes even if everything lines up, they can fail. and sometimes people who shouldn't succeed on paper do. and lots of time how good you can talk the talk can get you hired over someone more qualified. life isn't perfect or fair.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

I don't think he'll get a mega contract but i bet he gets at least 12 mil a year

19. Not saying i disagree one bit.I certainly wouldnt pay big $ to LW, but some team will.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

We wouldn't be able to give away the owners. Let alone trade them.

BacktoQueens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.