Trade Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Acad23, Oct 7, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't say that, so please don't put words in my mouth. The point is Mac's lousy drafting, and that he missed a lot more than he hit on picks, not that he never made any good picks. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Those players are the exceptions to the rule, rather than the rule. If even half of the 21 players that he drafted who are no longer in the NFL had turned out to be solid role players and contributors, this team would be a lot better. Do I need to mention all the blown picks he had? At WR alone from Mac there was Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Devin Smith, and Charone Peake. At least Peake scored one TD for us and contributed on STs. At CB, there's Parry Nickerson, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones and Justin Burris. When you look through the litany of wasted draft picks and see some of the players that he could have drafted instead, and realize how they would have filled holes and provided depth, it's depressing and disgusting.

Besides Shell isn't all that. Unless he isn't fully recovered from his surgery, it's possible that he may not even be re-signed, and this may be his last year with the team. His play hasn't been that good, and he cost two picks.

2. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

NC... Dev Smith is doing pretty well in Dallas and may light up the secondary with A Cooper

3. NCJetsfan

And that's helping us how? I'm happy for him, but he didn't do shit for us, and he had his chances.

Great, that also means he'll probably score the winning TD against us.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. Q williams fails to bring down prescott, Dak throws up a prayer w all 0s on the clock,smith comes down w it in endzone..Jets lose 20-14. Sounds about right.

Im to the point in finding sick joy in drawing up worst case scenarios

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think we have different definitions of "pretty well"

2 weeks ago against Miami he had 2 catches for 39 yards
    Last week against New Orleans had 0 catches for 0 yards

He had one "decent" game with 3 catches and a TD. That is all LOL

In 4 games he has 5 catches for 113 yards and 1 TD

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He didn't even learn the basic of play well until you snatch the bag like his predecessor Wilkerson, don't even get me started on that twat at CB :mad::mad::mad:

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Stop it, for the love of god please stop.

8. You meant that for the football gods right?

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he drafted great but the idea that somehow JD would make a better pick in the 7th round then some of the guys that mac found in the mid rounds is pretty laughable. It'll be interesting to see how fans jump on JD for every bust he drafts and I guarantee he will draft some. ever GM does. even the best ones. Did you see my les snead breakdown who many consider the best GM and how many horrible picks he made in the mid rounds?

Fans tend to focus on only the good picks of other teams, and only the bad picks from our team which isn't a fair comparison. then they play the "well the good picks are the exception or this play fell into their lap" nonsense

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  10. Les Snead is not a good GM..ive never heard anyone call him the best. Hes lucky to still have a job & that mcvay saved his ass.

MAC was god awful as GM.Forget the piss poor draft picks.How bout how he nor Bowles were ever willling to compromise or get on the same page after 4 years? How bout touting arrogantly that scheme doesnt matter when picking players & that its on the coaches to make it work? He was a complete fool who shouldve never been hired as a GM.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

you are literally the 1st person i've ever seen call les snead a bad GM and you are giving way too much credit to mcvay. putting the mac thing to the side for a minute cause i really don't care and jet fans are going to shit on any GM we have. Snead built a team that made it to the SB

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Every GM will draft players who won't pan out. The problem was our last GM did it more often than league average. How else can the fact that we have numerous deficiencies after 5 drafts be explained. Our OL, WR, Edge, and CB groups are all awful to mediocre. It's frustrating to see other teams find contributors and even stars in rounds 2-5 while we have Hack, Stewart, Hansen, Polite, Shepherd, etc... to show for it. And Macc took another DL in round 1 this year instead of an Edge prospect.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. Ive never been a fan,i think hes a blow hard who has missed on alot of picks.He was smart to hire a coach who shares his philosophy & he oversaw the move from STL to LA seamlessly from a FO perspective.I dont think he has a great eye for talent.

When the Jets have a good GM we willl rightfullly praise him.The standards really arent that high. Mac was a horrible GM.So horrible that it completely overshadows winning exec of the yr in 2015.Great w the books,ran a tight ship w media, ill even say he at least had calculated strategies but from a talent evaluation, procurement & team architecture perspective he was putrid.And thats before considering his inability to communicate w the CS & certain levels of the organization.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I can't believe that you're making such an issue out of this, but I just went back and read what I initially posted and my wording was poor. For me, the issue is about trust. Of course Douglas isn't likely to find a player better than Herndon in the 7th round, although great players have been found in the 7th round, and I think if anyone could find a great player that low, Douglas is a guy that can. I'm totally shocked that Mac found Cashman in the 5th. I have way more faith in what Douglas will get out of a draft as compared with what Mac got. Most of Mac's good picks were no-brainers in the 1st round that fell to him. He hit on very few picks after the 1st round. I that believe that after Douglas' 5 drafts he will have hit on both a lot more picks and found better players than Mac did. and he won't be drafting as high as Mac did.

Of course all GMs miss on picks. No one's perfect, but the better GMs hit on more than they miss, and they know how to go about building a team, putting priorities on the most important positions. I have credited Mac when he has made good picks, and I defended him for years. No more.

15. GasedAndConfused

Nobody is saying he didn't have his huge misses. even the best experts will say the draft is a complete crapshoot. I'm saying this "worse then the league average" thing is complete nonsense and not backed by any actual data or study. And every team has deficiencies. That's the whole point of the cap. Why has NE been unable to find any WR to pair with edelmen? and mind you they traded for him and didn't draft him. before him it was wes welker who they traded for. they also traded for cooks for 1 year then traded him away. they also traded for moss and got a great year out of him. they signed gordon as a FA. they signed AB as a free agent and released him. When has NE drafted a good WR? their o-line right now isn't good either. and mind you they are the best team in the NFL. another great franchise pitt can never draft any good CBs it's been a huge hole for them for a long time. Fans don't follow every team in the way they follow their team. every teams fanbase (except maybe NE) complains about holes, coaches, GMs, draft picks etc. you go to any team forum and it'll be the same complaints

he drafted trumaine (he was good in LA before shitting the bed with us) aaron donald (best defensive player in NFL last year), jenoris jenkins (pro bowler), "greg the leg", alec ogletree (pro bowler), greg robinson (pro bowler), todd gurley (pro bowler), goff (borderline FQB), kupp (should make a pro bowl this year), he also hasn't had a 1st round pick in 3 drafts. he's also whiffed a lot though......like every GM ever.

it's not a big issue at all. I get that the fan base got to the point where they didn't trust mac to make a good pick outside of the 1st round and didn't trust him to draft a good WR or to address the o-line. I get it. Not defending mac. I'm just saying the expectations for JD are way too high and a couple of years from now the fans here will be saying how bad of a GM he is unles he drafts 5 pro bowlers every draft. It seems we just unfairly judge GMs I hope JD does a good job but i have realistic expectations. if he can get 1 pro bowler, 1 solid starter, and a couple of good depth guys/role players a draft i'd be happy.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

Yes, every team has holes. We just happen to have them at the impact positions. There was a tweet by Caporoso which showed how many players taken from rounds 2-5 who are still on the roster over the last 4 years. We were shown to be well below average compared to other teams.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

that's a false narrative. every position is an impact position. the 1 "extra impact" is QB because they are the only player who touches the ball every play but outside of that a good ILB is just as impactful as a good OLB/edge

18. NCJetsfan

Perhaps expectations are too high, but he is the best GM candidate that the team has hired in a long, long time, maybe every. You can't blame us for getting our hopes up, especially after the likes of Idzik and Mac.

I don't expect him to draft anywhere near 5 pro bowlers every draft. 4 will be plenty. :p;) LOL Seriously, unless he totally whiffs as badly as Mac on picks and fails to upgrade the OL, edge rusher, CB and WR positions, I won't say that he is a bad GM. As long as he fixes the OL adds some quality to our WR, edge rusher and CB positions, I'll be pretty happy.

19. GasedAndConfused

best GM candidate? I don't see how. he has no experience as a GM. never drafted any players and was a scout most of his career just like mac. Don't get me wrong I like JD just pointing out on paper his resume is worse then mac. Mac had 24 years of scouting before getting the jets GM job and won executive of the year his 1st year. JD has 18 years of scouring before getting the jets GM job. neither had any experience as a GM before the jets signed them.

JD
    Mac (won PFWA NFL Executive of the Year in 2015 as jets GM)

Again though with all that said I like JD and hope he does well here.

20. CotcheryFan

Some positions have more impact than others. An interior DL has considerably less impact than an edge rusher. Josh Allen and Brian Burns have done more this season than Quinnen Williams and probably will in the future barring injury.

ColoradoContrails likes this.