Trade Mo Wilkerson for second pick in draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by footballfundamentals, Mar 19, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, there's no chance that Mo will get traded on draft day unless the Jets and the other team have already worked out the parameters for the trade prior to the draft, and that team and Mo have negotiated a long-term contract. Then it would just be a matter of announcing the trade during the draft. The only reasons I could see to do that and not announce it before the draft would be because the compensation or part of the compensation to the Jets would involve trading draft picks, and one or both teams didn't want other teams to know they'd be changing draft position.

Aside from using Mo, this team cannot afford to trade up. We need every draft pick we have thanks to Tanny's and Idzik's incompetence. You're right we have no way to bridge the gap. Even if Mac wanted to move up, I don't think we can or would.

#441 NCJetsfan, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    DownAndOut and RuJFan like this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We could have parameters in place to trade but only want to make the trade if a certain player was still available at the slot being traded. So in that case, assuming all parties kept their traps shut, we wouldn't know about it until draft day.

I think you're probably right about there being too many moving parts though.

3. NCJetsfan

Yes, that's what I was thinking of in my first paragraph. That would be a reason for not announcing the trade, i.e., it was contingent upon a certain player being available at the other team's spot. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

4. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

So you're saying that you'd be OK with trading up as part of a Mo deal but not otherwise? Not trying to challenge you, just trying to figure out what you are saying. I believe that we need more young talent on this team, but I think we fans deserve some of the blame for this team's inability to develop young talent. We are too quick to dismiss players as crap when they don't perform right away - Hence our organizational preference towards bringing in big-name, high-priced veterans. This need to make a splash also keeps us from trading down to accumulate picks, which is something we should also consider given our current needs.

5. NCJetsfan

Yes, if part of the compensation the Jets received for trading Mo to another team was a swap of positions in the 1st or 2nd round, then I'd be fine with that. As I said to another poster yesterday, the purpose of such a trade wouldn't be to trade up and get a certain player, so it isn't a normal "trade up" scenario. That would just happen to be the compensation or part of the compensation the Jets receive and would be the best they could do under the circumstances. The main goal is clearing the cap of Mo's $15.7 million.

I don't think this team can afford to trade up otherwise. As you know, Tanny wasted a ton of picks trading up almost every year. On top of that, Tanny and Idzik wasted even more draft picks on lousy players. This team isn't one player away from being a serious contender for the Lombardi Trophy imo (well maybe a quality starter, but I don't think Wentz or Goff would be that quality starter this year and/or would lead the team to the SB). As we all know, this team needs a new LT, a new RT, a new RG, a QB, a speedy pass rushing OLB or two, a TE or two, possibly a CB or two, a Punter, and better OL depth. That's about 12-15 draft picks. We only have 6 this year. That doesn't even take into consideration some of the other older players who Mac signed as stopgap FAs to keep the team competitive who will be transitioning off the team within the next 2-3 years. As it is, it's going to take 2-3 drafts to even begin addressing the holes on the roster. FA will continue to be part of the solution to build the team.

In addition, I just don't see Mac as the type to trade up very often. I think he would be more likely to trade down. He traded up for Petty, and I think that would be about the only time he would trade up. He might trade up for a pass rusher or LT if after several drafts he was unable to find one, or if he thought the Jets were only one player away from a SB, but otherwise, I think he will be very successful with the draft without having to burn draft picks needlessly ala Tanny.

I agree that we need more young talent on the team, and believe that is Mac's plan. I don't think there's an organizational preference for big name, high-priced veterans. There was with Tanny because he wanted to make a big splash because that was all he knew how to do. That was not the case with Idzik. I don't believe it is the case with Mac, either. Mac had to do that last year because he was mandated by the NFL to spend a LOT of money. The best way to do that was to sign some big name, high-priced players who would immediately improve the team and give it more respect. Mac isn't going all in to win immediately. He's trying to build sustainable success, and have the team in the playoff hunt every season.

This season, Mac didn't make a single big splashy signing of a high-priced veteran. Forte was somewhat flashy, but not high-priced, and he's a perfect fit for the team. Mac and Bowles are smart. They knew that in order to keep their jobs, the team had to win. They knew the fan base was sick of all the losing. They wanted to establish a winning atmosphere and gain respect for the team immediately to show the NFL, fans and media that there was a new sheriff in town and the circus was gone. Mac also knew all the holes/needs on this team and knew that using young players alone, it would probably have taken 10 drafts to fix the roster. He also has a philosophy that most quality GMs have of using FA to address needs, and then being free in the draft to take the BAP.

I'm not sure how much impact the fans actually have on things. We might with Woody since he's a doofus, but I don't think we would have that much impact on Bowles or Mac. They're professionals and they're going to do what they think (or know) is best for the team. You're right that too many of us are impatient and too quick to dismiss young players if they don't explode on the scene in their rookie seasons. That just shows their ignorance.

We have a lot of younger fans who became Jets fans during the time Tanny was GM. They've never seen a quality, competent, professional GM at work for the Jets. They're used to the excitement of trading up in the draft and Tanny making big splashes in FA so he could make the back page of the tabloids. They don't know how to react now. They're frustrated and frustrating for the rest of us, but it's hard to blame them.

Not all of the impatient fans are younger, however. We have some older ones who are just irrational. The team has driven them batty and they're forsaking common sense and everything they know to be true about how teams are built, players developed, success achieved, etc., and they just want to win a SB. Again, it's hard to blame them.

Mac traded down last year in the 3rd round. I think he will continue to look to do that in this and future drafts.

#445 NCJetsfan, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    mezzavo, ctjetsguy and Jetaho like this.
  6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Wilkerson needs to be traded, but the problem is not the 1st round pick we are asking for or the $15M which is due to him this year, or even that a new contract would need to be worked out. The problem is all three, so here is my plan to at least make the situation a little more easy to swallow.

Delay the compensation to next year. I know that a 2nd round pick this year is equal to a 1st round pick next year, so the deal would have to give us a little taste this year for us to swallow it. Trade Wilkerson for a 3rd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year. Depending on the team I might even consider a 4th round pick this year.

Wilkerson is a force and with 12 sacks this year he proved he can immediately help every team. The other option I wouldn't object to is asking for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year, and just be happy we are off the hook for the $15M .

One rant I want to get out, our GM came into last year with a ton of cap space and blew it all on overpriced CBs. The year before we could have signed Revis for $12M a year, but he gave Revis $16M. The year prior we could have had Cromartie for $3-$4M and Mac gave him $8M. Our GM wanted to make a big splash, but took us from cap heaven to cap hell in less than a year. Yes he made some great trades, but he had to, since he had already blew his wad on CBs.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

By league rules, Macc had to spend all the cap money. Blame Idzik for spending nothing for two years to get Rex fired and putting us in that situation. Had Idzik stayed GM, he would have had to splurge too.

8. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

This entire post is spot on from top to bottom; well said. One only has to look at the Knicks, my and I'm sure several other people here's favorite NBA team, for an example of an organization that mortgages picks and flexibility by trading for high priced moderate talents, spending big on B level stars, etc. They've been doing it for years and the results have been disastrous for almost 17 years. And in football, picks and financial flexibility are much more important than even in basketball given the number of positions, nature of the game, size of the rosters, etc.

9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Why do people keep saying we are in cap hell? Yes this one offseason we are because we had to spend last offseason but we will have plenty of cap space next offseason again.

dawinner127 and ctjetsguy like this.
  10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Here's an alternate thought

Keep out homegrown young beastly DL and draft OL on the cheap!!!

Why throw away studs that we developed?

11. NCJetsfan

You can't keep him if he doesn't want to stay. The can only pay him so much or are only willing to pay him so much. He wants more. They're not throwing him away. That's silly. He's the one that's trying to leave.

alleycat9 likes this.
  12. gordy

gordy Member

Sirius had a mock draft today and had the Jets trading up and giving Wilks. We also get the Chargers second round pick at number 35.

#452 gordy, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Ill take it in a heart beat. He doesn't want to be here, he wants the highest payoff possible, which would hamstring us in many ways, and doing so from a position we have more than adequate talent. He is not JJ Watts, and he should not get paid in that stratosphere. We should count our blessings if we can swing a good deal before he walks out next year and leave us with nothing or gets another king's ransom.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Beki

Beki Active Member

Charles Robinson, Yahoo

In an NFL draft class robust with defensive linemen, a player who has already proven to be among the NFL elite might be the name to watch on the opening night of the draft: the New York Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson. If Wilkerson, a defensive end, is traded, the Jets' asking price will be a first-round pick, and that alone might not get the deal done, multiple team sources told Yahoo Sports.

At this point, Wilkerson is still on the block. He could be traded in the coming weeks. He could be traded on the first day of the draft. But if that doesn't happen, Wilkerson may not get dealt, and the Jets will continue to work on a potential extension. He's currently locked into next season under the franchise tag, at a cost of $15.701 million. He is in a group of multiple players under the tag who have varying levels of difficulty ahead with new long-term deals. Wilkerson, however, is the most pressing due to his availability on the trade market.

One team that appears off the board, at least at the moment, is the Chicago Bears. The Bears are unlikely to part with their first-round pick (11th overall) because of the high quality defensive line depth in this draft, a league source said. Acquiring Wilkerson would require subtracting another key draft piece, as well as a massive new contract, although Chicago has ample salary-cap space to accommodate such a new deal for Wilkerson.

Nothing new from Jets' side, understandable that Macc asking 1st round and Ryan Pace (Bears GM) assigning such a high value to their draft picks. The problem is that Chicago would be the best trade partner for MO.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Whoever the Jets trade with is going to have to negotiate with Mo beforehand. That can get tricky and it's not something you can do on the fly on draft day. Since Mo is a free agent the problem with worrying about him finding out his market value is solved. The only problem the Jets have at this point is that they're not completely in control of the process. Mo has to be looking to get a deal out of another team to really make this happen.

The Jets should be pushing him to find his deal with the assurance that they'll trade him either in the run up to or during the draft once he's found the deal. The main thing that is keeping teams from negotiating with him in good faith is that there is no way they're giving up 2 1sts for him. The Jets should make it clear to him that they'll take a set level of compensation below that so he can make the best sales pitch to the interested teams.

Playing it cool and looking to maximize return on the trade has a reasonable probability of killing any real trade chance this year.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The way I see it is, why wouldn't a team give up a first round draft pick for a player of Wilkersons caliber? What defensive lineman can the Bears draft that's going to give them 12 sacks?

The only benefit of drafting a prospect is that he will be cheap for 3 years, but he may not end up being as good as Wilkerson. If I were the Bears I would consider making this deal, unless they are looking at a LB.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

that and 22 vs. 27 like most things its a trade off, take the cheaper younger guy and hope he becomes great or take the older more expensive guy you already know is great and hope he doesnt break down. and by cheaper were talking a decent percentage of the salary cap.

18. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with a 2nd and a 1st next year as well. If a team is on the cusp of the playoffs (or currently a playoff team) they may be willing to load up this year and sacrifice a future #1 in hopes that Mo will put them over the top.

19. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mac should just hang on to mo past the draft

after breaking his leg, i dont think mo will risk playing this season on the franchise tag ... mo's asking price should drop as the july 15 deadline for extending franchise players approaches

mac just needs to continue to be patient

20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

Agree on over doing it on CBs. im fine paying revis or cro or skrine. but all 3 was overkill. i dont think you need to pay a 3rd corner 7-8 million or have 25-30 million invested in CBs. i think we should have used some of that money to find a LT replacement, or try an extend mo...

now i dont think it would have mattered for mo, since he would have probably still asked for what he is asking for now, which i wouldnt have wanted to give him. but we'd be in abetter spot now, and i dont think skrine is some irreplaceable piece or someone worth what he makes. i think it was overkill