Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Again.. says you? I keep trying to be respectful, but then you keep saying things like this that as i said yesterday make your argument loose its luster bc A, its not that simple and B, the fact an entire fan base would choose him over sam would say otherwise.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m not convinced there’s no hope for him yet, that’s all I’m saying.

Yankjetfan and Billsfan1212 like this.
  3. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

Are they stregenths per se? Maybe not - but again with the cut and dry. Theres an agenda, or you havent been watching... bc thats not something someone with an unbiased football understanding would say

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You keep pretending that I’m the only person that thinks he had a very bad year as a thrower. I don’t understand why. I linked you to someone who broke down literally every throw of his season and said he wasn’t even close to being a good QB. You keep telling me that I’m not watching the games and looking at numbers but you’re just flat out wrong. On top of the videos and analysis posted on Twitter I watched some recent all-22s. You keep telling me I just hate the kid, when I’m reality all I hate is his game.

You want to explain everything away by saying Bills fans are excited and he’s been “a blast” to watch. That doesn’t work. You can’t just keep throwing out intangible attributes that you can’t quantify. I’ve yet to see ONE thing that shows me he can make all the throws. PLENTY of people have the same criticism, it’s not made up and it has nothing to do with personal preference. It’s on tape for all to see, and the numbers match the eye test.

This convo is getting boring. I keep trying to find ways to back up my opinion and you keep telling me they don’t matter but can’t tell me why other than “he’s fun to watch”.

Harpua likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

This is literally what people with unbiased football understanding have been saying for his last three seasons as a starting QB. You just don’t want to hear it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist though so stop acting surprised when people bring it up.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

You think my opinion is biased? I watched each of the top 4 QBs college games 5 times over when they were all unaffiliated with any NFL team. I knew the Jets were going QB and I made sure I was able to develop an educated opinion. I would’ve thrown my chair out the window if the Jets took Allen at 3, and after watching 4-5 of his full starts this year I see absolutely nothing that would sway my pre-draft opinion. He’s the same player I saw at Wyoming.

The only rookie QB whose play has mildly surprised me is Rosen. I knew he would be very dependent on having a good OL given his lack of mobility and that Arizona would probably be a disaster for him, but he’s still been worse than I expected. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him have a Goff-like turnaround with a decent coaching staff, though.

Harpua and Noam like this.
  7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

What entire fanbase would choose him over Sam?

Harpua and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Allen showed this season that he belongs in the NFL, even though he really should have sat.

I think he is going to grow into a Cam Newton type player.
    Tough to defend in short yd situations, a threat to pick up firsts with his legs, and someone who can stretch the field.
    He will also make his share of bad throws.

Bills fans right now (from what i can gather) are pretty excited from what they've seen as a rookie.
    Detractors are still looking up college stats to support their pre draft arguments that they're unwilling to let go of.

BuffaloBills06 likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

He doesn’t get this. I’ve tried to say it. I can guarantee you that most fans posting about last years QB draft class have done extensive homework on whoever it is they’re talking about. Allen could be affiliated with literally any other team in the league and my opinion would be the same based off reading and watching way way way too much all winter/spring and watching plenty of breakdowns on him as a pro.

But that doesn’t matter. “You’re not watching the games” is all he says in return without any actual substance. It’s a tired convo.

Big Cat likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

This is lazy and incorrect but by all means, continue to ignore the pages worth of evidence that say otherwise.

Harpua likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

I've noticed you fall back on "what people are saying", as if it's everyone in agreeement.
    Not everyone was in agreement about Allen as a prospect by any stretch. Quite the opposite really.

But the arguments of him as a prospect are over now.
    There is actual game tape.

12. BacktoQueens

It's 100% accurate.
    Your obsession is creepy, and you speak in hyberbole with all or nothing stances.

You are anything but unbiased on this topic, and I suspect just refuse to admit being wrong in any assessment you had pre-draft.

But let's keep discussing college stats.

13. BroadwayAaron

The fact that you’re so fixated on this “college stats” thing let’s me know you aren’t reading, or you ARE reading and don’t know how to respond.

14. BacktoQueens

You've added nothing to the conversation but hyperbole.

It won't matter if you watch his games, which I'm fairly certain you haven't.
    I'm sure you will stick to your pre draft bias regardless.

15. BroadwayAaron

For as long as you’re going to continue being lazy I’m not gonna bother. At least the Bills guy brings something to the table.

16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

JP Losman, Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manual, Tyrod Taylor...

Statistically all were bad qb’s that the “believer” Bills fans believed in. Allen is no different and smart Bills fans are posting this very thing in their forums and getting crushed by the same “believers”

Give it another year or two, this will play itself out.
    There’s really nothing statically that he does as a Qb that would make you think he can succeed.

I’ve watched every one of his game/completions btw... he’s got a lot to work on as a passer.

17. BacktoQueens

Lazy is stating things like he can't complete any pass but a deep ball, and comparable hyperboles.

18. BroadwayAaron

Lazy would be not bothering to do your homework, like you clearly haven’t.

Allen has a passer rating of 73 throwing behind the line of scrimmage to his right. That’s 15 below league average. Yes, BEHIND the line of scrimmage, he’s far below league average.

Allen has a passer rating of 53 throwing within 10 yards of the LOS to his right. That’s 34 below league average. I’ll repeat that, 34 below league average.

In between 10-20 yards, he has a passer rating of 38 to his left (43 below league average) and 58 to his right (34 below league average).

Why oh why oh why would myself along with plenty of other people who watch game after game where he displays no ability to make anything but a deep throw, who then go look at the stats that prove they eye test correct, say that he can’t make anything but a deep throw?

He actually doesn’t hit the league average in any area of the field other than passes within 10 yards to his left.

Now seeing as how you can’t respond with things that back up your opinion, I fully expect you to tell me about how passer rating doesn’t matter and I don’t watch the games and all I care about is college stats.

#658 BroadwayAaron, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Harpua likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

QBR factors in running. Check the passing QBRs, Allen is down with Rosen.

20. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Damn, son. That's some dedication. I take it you don't have kids or a family. Or, at least, you don't have kids or a family that like you very much.

Jets81 and Big Cat like this.