Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The Ravens OC is Marty Morningwood, who was just our OC a few years ago.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Rookie QB Passer Ratings per ESPN

1. Mayfield 93.7
    2. Jackson 84.5
    3. Darnold 77.6
    4. Allen 67.9
    5. Rosen 66.7

Billsfan1212 likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

Rosen also by far the worst in regards to total TDs vs total turnovers.
    11 TDs to 19 Turnovers.
    (Mayfield 27-17, Jackson 11-7, Allen 18-14, Darnold 18-17)

Being a statue in the pocket is a real handicap in today's NFL imo, especially as a rookie.
    He's the one QB who didn't show any real positive signs, or progress as the year went on.
    He's also the one rookie with no pocket mobility or athleticism, which is a big reason for the above.
    I still have a hard time understanding why people were insisting he was the most pro ready.

HomeoftheJets and K'OB like this.
  4. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

2018 Rookie QBs QBR (Final reg season update) 1) 53.5 - Baker Mayfield
    2) 52.7 - Josh Allen
    3) 48.7 - Sam Darnold
    4) 44.1 - Lamar Jackson
    5) 27.8 - Josh Rosen#NFL

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Who the fuck gives any credence to QBR.

It's a made up stat.

Aren't you embarrassed?

6. Billsfan1212

I dont totally throw out comp %, i just dont think its a tell all gauge to accuracy. I guess i look at it as aptly named - frequency in which passes are completed.
    There is just sssooo much that goes into it, i dont get how this could be the end all stat telling how accurate a qb is. Like Allen had a career high 65% yesterday - but was terribly inaccurate on a few throws.
    The thing that excites me with his game is that although he might miss a 6 yrd screen or quick slant, he comes back the next play and fires it 25 yards on a rope into a tight spot.

Im no expert, but it seems having a guy improve on a shorter quick play is easier than having a guy be able to not only make the 25 yrd pass but also encourage the mind set to do so.

This is also predicated on the assumption you prefer a west coast style and i prefer a downfield passing attack.

Fwiw, the only conjecture I meant on the 12 win season was I feel like IF that happened, even then it would be explained away- essentially saying whatever this kid does, you may just never like him. Thats ok bc you only need to like Darnold.

For a kid who was arguably the most raw and needed to sit to come into the NFL, not throw up on the front of himself and show he belongs by being THE offense of the 2018 buffalo bills... we are encouraged.

Now though, things get real and we will see what happens. He will have continuity in the qb room with a 2 yr deal for Barkley and a 1 yr deal for DA and hopefully some added weapons. If after next year with a better oline and weapons we are still in this same place and there are no progressions I may not feel the same way. But for now, this year was a pleasant suprise from the rook. Baker and Darnold came in needing not to screw up their names while Allen and Lamar had to prove they belonged. Id say it was a success for everyone but Rosen and thats more of an incomplete bc he had a poor set of WR and Oline just like NYJ and BUF - but as a immobile pocket passer he didnt have other areas of his game to lean on like our young qbs

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I asked yesterday (and you didn’t respond) what numbers you could provide that showed Allen was a good thrower. I’m hoping QBR isn’t the only thing you were taking about.

Edit; right on cue, you answered.

8. Billsfan1212

Lol, nothing more than my point that you can find any set of stats that paint whichever narrative you want to go with. Anyone can put any creedence into what they want. If Broadway Sam wants to make comp % the gauge for accuracy he can - but in doing so ya gotta understand others wont see it the same way and put the same level of importance behind it. Its why to a degree the eye test is so important. Watch the games, form opinions, then gauge what you deem important for there if youd like

9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Is anyone, other than a Bills fan, suggesting Allen is the best QB in the class?

Or anthing better than the bottom 2?

He's not better than Mayfield or Sam and as much as I don't love Lamar's game he's been much better than Allen.

It's Allen and Rosen bringin up the rear.

Notwithstanding...lol...QBR.

10. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Qbr oh boy this is where this discussion is going. Lmao wow his qbr is better haha

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold was a significantly better prospect than Josh Allen

Sam Darnold had a significantly better rookie year than Josh Allen

Sam Darnold will be significantly better than Josh Allen

This isn’t worth arguing. Go to the head coaching threads, that’s what matters right now.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

It's really just Rosen bringing up the rear.

The rest have all had a lot of positives for a rookie season.
    I'd put Allen ahead of Jackson as well. Jackson is playing on an excelling team, playing with leads, and hasn't really been put in a position to make up any scoring gaps.
    Once he's forced to throw quite a bit, it could be a different story.
    I'd put Darnold ahead of them both.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The QBR number for Allen is no surprise, and IMO quite accurately reflects the season he had, as it takes into account the success he's had running the ball. Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that he's been very effective doing that is just being foolish. The issues are that (1) can he continue to be effective in the NFL playing that way (maybe, but history suggests that NFL defenses can come up with ways of dealing with players like that unless they're also legitimate threats as passers like Tarkenton, Staubach, Steve Young, etc.), (2) can he continue to play that way and survive in the NFL (I think no), and (3) can he become an adequate NFL passer (who knows, but I see no evidence of it yet). It seems to me that Cam Newton is the ceiling for Allen, which isn't such a bad thing but isn't really quite a great thing, either. Mayfield's ceiling is Brees, Darnold's ceiling is Rodgers, and Jackson's ceiling is Elway, which are a lot better. Of course, it's unlikely that any of them will hit those ceilings, and all could end up flaming out - it's way too soon to tell.

I find the Rosen case much more interesting, to be honest. If he ends up completely failing it could have a real effect on how teams view classic drop-back-in-the-pocket passers going forward. Unless it's because of all of the dreck around him he really shouldn't be this bad.

14. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

52% completion rate for Allen. That has to be the worst in NFL history for rookie QBs that started for more than half the season.

15. BroadwayAaron

Eli was under 50% I think and started half the season. But regardless, Allen is awful.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I believe Sam will have the better career, but the people saying Allen sucks are wrong. If they find someone to develope him he’ll be a pain in the ass for years.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

Agreed. I’d imagine only being able to throw the long ball and missing badly on everything else would be a pain in the ass for any coach.

18. Billsfan1212

Where did i say Allen was the best in the class?
    Please, if you want to criticize what ive said at least quote me correctly or understand what im saying.
    Lamar and Allen have one big difference, a team around them which equates to wins. Lamar is what, like 6-1? Has more rushing yards, but more rushes. Allen has been getting 90/100 yrds on 8-10 attempts per game. Few have actually been designed runs, but rather taking what the defense is giving him. Miami even knew it was coming after the 1st game and still couldnt or didnt stop it. If Allen wasnt rushing for these yards, they just wouldnt come. The Bills oline is so bad theyd litterally have 20 yrds rushing per contest.
    Bills fans arent excited because they have a running qb, they are excited bc he has been able to generate their entire offense and with the exception of the NE game (im sure you guys wanna throw yours out too) he has shown flashes with both his arm and legs. He has essentially HAD to play hero ball - and has been relatively successful. Its why we are so excited to see him actually have some help. Yesterdays game was the 1st i can recall when he didnt have 4/5 drops lowering the comp% and taking yrds off the board.

Its why its hard to engage in a worthwhile conversation. The fact if the matter is anyone who jumps right to the comp% will always have an argument against allen. Thats a fact and it is what it is. But then there are always people like Boomer and Cowher gushing over him. He is a polarizing player who did better than expected his rookie year with ZERO helpm

Im not sure why some folks take every chance they get to knock the kid or speak ill. Maybe they plain dont like him. Maybe they had a set stance on him and are afraid they are wrong. Maybe they just dont want to have find out their team picked the wrong guy. Bills fans only have that with Rosen, and to the aforementioned point there does seem to be some rooting againt him bc they are afraid their team picked the wrong guy but by all accounts had the Bills gone up to 2, they woukd have still picked Allen. It just would have been out of fear the jets wanted him too.

I know where i am and although the Bills board is full of people gushing about allen and would rather him than darnold, rosen, or jackson - there isnt a need to knock darnold and other than preferring allen - they dont. They could be sour they wanted him and the jets traded up to get him and there for hate him or want him to fail... but they dont. They are just simply happy allen is their qb and if anything like watching good qb play and hope darnold is his nemesis for years to come.

So other than razzing on me, what purpose does the allen bashing serve? The cool thing is it will play out and in time we will get answers. I just dont get hating on a dude for the fun if it. He is a blast to watch and the more guys like that in the nfl the better!

19. Billsfan1212

But this isnt even true - its a bit of a sterotype and i get it - but like i said earlier its easier to work on basics than develop the skills and mind set for a 25 yrd out. Thatll be his thing is developing the small stuff to complement all the highlight throws. I think the fact this has gone on for as long as it has is indicative of the kid isnt 'trash'. As ive maintained , i think Sam and Josh ended uo in the right place for their respective teams.

Ive never said josh is better than sam or vice versa. Simply after yr 1 most Bills fans, if given the choice of the 2, would rather have allen qnd what comes with him. Just as i wouldnt try to change your mind youd pick sam - itll be fun to let it play out and see what happens. All ive been about is both teams should be excited and no one can tell the future so lets have fun while they build their stories!

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He has no anticipation, awareness or game sense. He is exactly who he was on his college tape and the traits he lacks are ones that cannot be developed.