Total Choke Job - Worst Loss in History?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetzz, Dec 6, 2010.

?

Worst Loss or Most Embarrassing?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2010.
  1. Worst loss in history

5.3%
  2. Most embarrassing loss in history

57.5%
  3. Worst loss and most embarrassing

14.2%
  4. I'm going to go kill myself now.

23.0%
  1. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Everyone's a poll critic. :smile:

2. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

it was awful and embarrassing, but you can't say what the significance was until the season is over.

this game could mean nothing at the end of the day

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I can't think of any worse right now. Losing 34-3 to the Cowboys on Thanksgiving was pretty embarrassing, but we also didn't have half the talent that year as we do now...

4. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Rarely do you see a team give up and play dead five minutes into the game, like the Jets did tonight.

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I think our only hope now is that a game like this inspires this team to dig deep and find its pride. They have to be able to put this loss behind them, while at the same time pulling our shit together and head out of our ass. Its possible that the opposite could happen. This could start a slide we don't come back from. I'm going to hope for the best.. in a few days. Once I drown this loss in my memory.

6. Cortland JET

Cortland JET New Member

As pointed out earlier, this loss was eerily similar to the Miami game in 1986. Our record was 10-1 (I believe) and it was on a Monday night.

7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Let's face it, this team has played like complete shit for the past seven weeks. They're the worst 9-3 team I can recall seeing.

8. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

bah, this game couldn't be much worse. Rex stunk, Schotty really stunk as usual, Sanchez really stunk, the defense really stunk, the fucking kickers stunk, Jets got owned.

The good part? What are the chances Jets could have beaten the Patriots 3 times in a season? I like the rematch odds, this will beat some humility into the team and they'll be better for it in the long run.

Learning experience.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It occurred last Monday night, as well.

10. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Absolutely the worst loss in regular-season Jets history given the stakes. Worse than 55-21 and 56-3 losses to NE in 1978 and 1979; worse than the 45-3 Miami game in 1986; worse than the Pat Leahy Oakland game when Richard Todd threw for 440 yards in 1977.

All those games were meaningless for borderline 8-8 playoff teams at best.

Considering what was at stake, inexcusable.

11. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ahh.....the Jets come from a long, long, LONG, lineage of backbreaking, heart stomping losses. We'll forget about this game in 2 years.

12. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Ah, c'mon.

It's not the Jets' worst loss - not even close - unless you just started watching the Jets a couple of years ago.

As bad as it seems, it's just one game.

They have to forget about it, suck it up, and get ready for next week.

No sympathy cards in the NFL.

13. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

No doubt this was a bad loss and embarrassing but I don't think it comes close to matching the worst in Jets history. All the late season losses to the 2-10 teams to knock us out of playoff contention - the wide variety of late season losses that just seemed inexplicable.

This year the Jets will likely go on to win at least a couple of more wins and make the playoffs and go from there, which is far, far more then we could ever have hoped for in the past.

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

You got that right. Game won't mean a thing if the Patriots lose to the Jets in January.

Learning experience, move on.

15. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly. Tonight was embarrassing, but certainly not the worst.

16. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

The spike game was the worst for me. And since I was there, giving the expansion Panthers their first win with the Bubby to Sam Mills shovel pass pick 6. Losing to Denver in the AFCCG, Doug Brien, I could go on with the heartache. This one just made me feel numb, and I plan to forget it ever happened.

17. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I have to admit - that was the first thought that ran through my mind. Miami won 45 to 3 in that game (after the Jets had beaten them 51 to 45 in the Maedowlands earlier in the year).

But we have to be realistic. 86 has nothing to do with this. The Jets suffered a rash of injuries that year. I'm sure most of these Jets' players were barely even born then.

That was then. This is now.

I'm sure Mark Gastineau won't be roughing the passer in the AFC championship game.

18. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I remember the Pats smacking the Jets down 56 to 3 one year.

The Jets have a long list of losses much worse than this.

19. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

The Cleveland playoff game is the worst. This is just embarrassing. It's also a regular season game. As disraught as I am right now, just can't let this carry over. All the pissing and moaning and bitching that are sure to overtake this board mean nothing until the end of the game vs. Miami.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Although it does depend upon what they do for the rest of the season, this loss is up there with '86 Dolphins 45-3 and '94 spike game . both losses lead to season-ending losing steaks.

But no game was ever worse than the game against Cleveland during the '86 play-offs ( actually played in Jan'87)