Total and complete lack of discipline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Nowhere have I suggested that the Jets suspend Edwards. I'm suggesting that they leave him home this week to deal with the consequences of his legal situation and as a not-so-gentle reminder that his behavior has other consequences as well.

If I got busted for DUI and my employer had an issue with that I'd do my best to apologize and maintain my job. Particularly if I was a public figure whose actions were intensely scrutinized and who had already had run-ins with the legal system in the past.

I don't think the Jets should suspend Edwards but I also don't think they should let him back on the field until it's clear that the only thing he's focused on is doing well on the field and not causing problems for the team in the process.

2. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

Semantics. "Leave him home this week" is a one game suspension.

I agree with BB. If there's a problem with penalties, address that problem. If there's a problem with team focus during practices, address that problem. If there's a problem with off-the-field issues, address that problem.

I'm trying to think of a useful analogy here. If a teacher had an issue with students handing in sloppy homework and making mistakes on tests, she wouldn't assume that problem was solved because she gave detention to the student she caught smoking, right?

3. BookEndTackles 72&79

Leaving him home = suspension. Can't have it both ways.

4. Br4d

Suspension usually means no pay. It's a formal process that requires the player to consent or file a grievance against the suspension. By leaving Edwards home the Jets would be sending a message that unprofessional conduct is not tolerated by the team, while avoiding the formality of trying to implement a suspension. It also would send a message to others on the team that management was serious about not having this season derailed by fools.

The fact that Edwards has also been undisciplined on the field is just a bonus in terms of sending the message.

5. Br4d

Have to add this, D'Brickashaw Ferguson was one of the other passengers in the vehicle at 5:15am this morning. He's been very inconsistent so far this season and for him to be out drinking until all hours of the night is not a good sign given his relatively poor play so far.

Ryan can't just duck his head and pretend all this stuff isn't happening. For the Jets to win a Super Bowl this year just about everything is going to have to go right for them and they're going to have to square up and face the few things that go wrong and deal with them effectively. There's no room to hide from issues and hope they go away on their own, because we'll wind up breaking down at some point under the accumulation of stress that puts on the team.

Taking Edwards to Miami because he makes the Jets better would probably actually weaken the Jets chances this season. Going to Miami without him and winning would immeasurably strengthen those chances. Sometimes you just need to man up and get it done.

6. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

The NFL has a Personal Conduct Policy that players must adhere to, so this is not just a legal issue. If the Jets are proactive and deal with him before the league does, they can probably get away with a lighter penalty than if the league dealt with him themselves. Just another way to look at it. I hope that if they do suspend him, it waits until after Santonio gets back.

7. Br4d

Apparently the Jets are specifically barred from deactivating him over a substance abuse issue by the CBA. They have to go through the formal process of trying to suspend him if they want to deactivate him for this particular issue this weekend,

I would argue that they could call this part of an accumulation of discipline and competence related issues that are causing the team to make him inactive this week but I'm guessing they don't want to go through the hassle of picking that potential fight right now.

It's been 3 weeks in a row though that Edwards has had some type of issue that's effected the Jets. At what point can they just throw up their hands and say he needs a timeout?

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

As opposed to all the other teams that lost 4-5 games in a row but held it together?

9. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

OK, He's 27...so that would be sitting in the corner for 27 minutes.

Rex "OK Braylon, For acting like a fool and drinking & driving, putting teammates and the public in danger you're going to sit in the corner 27 minutes."

Braylon "Yes coach."

27 minutes later....

Rex "Braylon get over here, now do you know what you did?"

Braylon "I was a fool."

Rex "OK, don't let it happen again. I love you."

Braylon "I love you too."

As Braylon walks away he does a little celebration dance.

Rex "Stop that fucking dancing, or I'll smack you upside of the head!"

Braylon "yes coach."

All is good in Jet land.