Total and complete lack of discipline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Sep 13, 2010.

1. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Sometimes you need a slap in the mouth when you shit talk. We'll come back from it.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

And that's just terrible on the part of the officials and the No Fun League. The officials took over the game and had way too much a say on who won the game. Were some of those calls justified? Absolutely but the Hunter PF should have been offsetting, the PI on Wilson should have been picked up because both players were pushing and shoving for a ball that was 10 feet over both of their heads and don't even get me started on the "running into the kicker"

3. salsamdon

salsamdon New Member

Lack of total focus for the full four quarters of the game...........the Ravens had it, Jets did not. We had flashes of brilliance on defense and thunder bolts of stupidty as well.
    Stupid penalties, over and over again.
    Offense was predictable and lacked confidence - especially in the second half. Sanchez seemed to play to not make a mistake, he is overthinking and scared to throw over 10 yards.
    Personally, I think 'Hard Knocks' has hurt this football team thus far. It is fixable but needs to be fixed quickly.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This game was a wake up call. There's such a thing as being too aggressive.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Kills me to say so. But the Jets did not walk the walk.

Tough call for the CS to get grounded after that one. Looking at 0-2.

6. Green Pilot

Green Pilot New Member

When they said they left some stuff for the regular season.. they musta meant all the pre-snap hoopla.. what a pitiful display of offense

7. Todd14

Todd14 Member

And where was the pass interference call when Sanchez threw the long ball to Cotchery? We played really bad football tonight, but the team that most people felt would give Indy a run for their money for the Super Bowl only beat us 10 to 9.

8. salsamdon

salsamdon New Member

We still had chances to win the game, even after how shitty we played offensively, and all the penalties.
    Defense played their ass off.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You were right on the money with this. The Jets are a thoroughly undisciplined team at this point and their focus is lacking. Even when they are doing great things on the field they look like they're out of control, as Braylon Edwards taunting penalty and Eric Smith's cheap shot on Welker showed.

Now we have one of the biggest contributors from the win last week getting popped for DUI before a huge game next week and there was another starter sitting in the car beside him at the time. That's two guys who should have known better who caused a major distraction for the team.

Rex Ryan needs to get on top of this team before the lack of discipline causes real problems. The team should announce that Edwards is not making the trip to Miami pending a review of the issue. No suspension, just a timeout until appropriate action can be taken.

The Jets need to get a handle on this before it balloons out of control. There are too many me first guys on the team who aren't taking the consequences of their actions into account, on or off the field.

10. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Totally agree. This just can't end well. I don't care how much talent we have on the team.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

WTF should they let Edwards hurt the team by not making the trip? That point has been made before but it seems there will be a million threads with the same theme drug up from the last 10 years. Keeping Edwards out doesn't hurt Edwards it hurts the Jets.

12. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

That's a bad idea.

First of all, you can't group a taunting penalty, an illegal football hit and a DWI into the same category.

Too many infractions get tossed under this "lack of discipline" umbrella. False starts, illegal shifts/formations, inadequate communication in the secondary... these are "lack of discipline" problems that need to be addressed. Judging by the difference in play from week one to week two, I'd say they are being addressed.

Late hits, taunting, unnecessary roughness... these are "gamesmanship" issues that, although they aren't always beneficial, are an extension of the mindset our head coach has instilled. What did Rex say after the Bart Scott riff-raff during the preseason? "Hey, I told them to play like this, guys." Some of these things need to be addressed, as some have been already. Some will not be addressed, nor should they.

The DWI? That's another matter entirely. I'm all for appropriate disciplinary action, but benching your best offensive player in a key divisional game is self-flagellation.

With every illegal shift, taunting penalty and DWI, Braylon does damage to his lucrative second contract. He'll understand eventually. In the meantime, Santonio Holmes is learning from someone else's mistakes instead of his own.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Letting things continue to roll along with no control of the situation is worse than nipping the problem in the bud, by taking effective action to remind the players that there are consequences out there for bad behavior, even if the coach seems to be a happy-go-lucky player's guy.

Undisciplined teams always fall apart in the end. It's just a question of when it's going to happen.

The Jets best player held out for a record contract with 3 years left on his current deal. He's now hurt, likely because he missed training camp. Me-me-me, no discipline at all there.

Braylon Edwards had the penalty that called back Keller's catch in game 1, which was a key moment in the loss. He took a bad penalty in game 2 that could easily have cost the Jets and that had no possible upside in the action. Taunting doesn't do anything that could win you the game if you get away with it. He started to do the same thing after the 2-point conversion but didn't quite get to the same level. He shouldn't even have thought about doing that given he'd gotten 15 yards for it already. Now he took the DUI and caused another problem. No discipline at all there.

The Jets couldn't keep their mind on business when Inez Sainz came calling. She was watching a practice, not some informal gathering in which the players mingle with the media. Somehow she still wound up as the main subject of attention on the field. No discipline. This one is just embarrassing. The offense looked completely ragged after that little visit and the defense took a bunch of flags too. How about ignoring the people on the sidelines, no matter how cute they are and practicing your trade?

It's time that Ryan stood up and told the players to settle down and be professionals. Have fun, work hard, win games. Keep the rest of that stuff out of the locker-room, off the field and most importantly never forget that you're a target when you're out in public. Act like a professional and you'll likely have no problems. Act like a fool and everybody suffers, you absolutely guaranteed.

Leave Braylon Edwards home this week to sort out his legal difficulties. Take the players who are behaving like professionals to the game. Tie David Clowney up with duct tape over his mouth until the game just to be sure.

14. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

not a bad idea. get this under control. there are very few teams like the '86 mets. most teams will unravel without a little discipline. generally, athletes tend to appreciate structure and discipline. when they get on the field, a little craziness can work. but i agree with the notion that, in general, these guys need to chill-the-fuck-out and focus on smart football.

15. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Colin Cowherd, whom I love but frequently disagree with, made this point this morning as well, and obviously I totally agree with him. Even in a win with things going well the lack of discipline rears it's ugly head. Cowherd was right that nobody is going to beat the Jets; the Jets are going to beat themselves. In a huge divisional game with the Patriots, what Edwards did was utterly moronic, but not unexpected with the mentality this team currently has. Rex has created this atmosphere, and he needs to get it under control. In the AFC Championship game, an undisciplined move like Edwards taunting can cost this team in a big way.

16. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Football players want to play. Telling Edwards to stay home tells the rest of the team that this foolish, distracting behavior will not be tolerated. Doing nothing hurts the Jets worse than keeping Edwards out of the lineup or one game. It allows an undisciplined culture to fester until everything falls apart, and as BWS pointed out, an undisciplined team always falls apart. It's just a matter of when.

17. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Imagine if this team goes through real adversity. I mean like losing 4-5 games in a row. Can you imagine how quickly things would spiral out of control with this cast of characters?

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The lack of discipline on this team was evident while watching "Hard Knocks". I mentioned this after game 1 and got my ass reemed by TGG police accusing me of "not knowing what i'm talking about".
    Rex needs to sit this team down and restate the mission for this season and tell whoever's not on board to get out now.No player is bigger then the team.
    Edwards hurt this team by doing something stupid that will take away a major weapon on offense.He puts us in a very bad spot and jeopardizes the mission of this team.
    Rex has to be a "father" to this team and not a "big brother". He has to hold his players accountable and unfortunately it hurts the team as a whole and not just the player.

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I cut out the rest of your post. You know what you said, but how does what you said necessarily lead to this? As others have pointed out, it will be interpreted as making Edwards an example by focusing on something that occurred off the field, when the real concern is behavior, mostly by others, on the field.

If your employer did that to you, how would you feel about that?

There are other options than suspending Edwards. Some might still involve punishing him, but would be less detrimental to the team as a whole. They might be supplemented by disciplinary measures that directly involve others who have also been discipline problems. It's not like suspending him is the only choice other than doing nothing.

#39 Big Blocker, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  20. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

While I think Rex/the organization should take some sort of disciplinary action, you absolutely cannot correlate Braylon's DWI with a general lack of discipline by the Head Coach.

There have been drill sergeant Head Coaches who have had players on their roster that got in trouble with law. Off-field incidents like DUIs, fights, drugs etc, don't stem from the Coach.

To the support this point even more, Braylon got in trouble in Cleveland and now here -- that's two different organizations, two different coaches.

This type of mishap is on the player; it's not a Holding Penalty that you point a finger at the Coach for overlooking it throughout the week.