Torry Holt anyone?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenScreen313, Mar 6, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If someone asked me what I would prefer at the beginning of the offseason:

an aging Coles

or

an aging Torry Holt

...I would have said to take Holt then, and I really don't have a problem with the idea of signing Holt and going WR in the 2nd now.

2. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I'd love Holt, he'd be a great mentor for the young WRs. I don't think he's washed up at all, he had 93 catches and 1200 yards in the year before last--last year the Rams QB play was simply dreadful.

3. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

I'd take Holt on a one year contract. (Definitely over T.O.) that would enable us to draft WR in round 2. The draft is deep in WRs this year.

4. PinPointPenning10

Would we even need a 2nd-round WR at that point? I'd be fine with Clowney, Stuckey, Smith/Henry, and Wright as the 3-6 guys.

5. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I would welcome Holt in a heartbeat. He is a consant pro and runs his routes perfectly

6. snipes824

snipes824 Member

I would love to sign Holt for something like 2 years and $8.5 million. He's still got something left, I think. Do you think that contract would get it done? Is it too high? I don't know what the going rate for aging 33 year old receivers.

Holt
    Cotchery
    Clowney
    Stuckey
    Smith

Thats not a bad WR corp.

#66 snipes824, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

8.5M/2 years wouldn't come close to getting it done, IMO. More like 8M/year for two years.

Coles got 7M/year from Cincy, and he isn't even as good.

8. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Well, hes 33. Depending on how much confidence you have in Clowney/Stuckey to develop, we'd still need a WR of the future, though we would be able to hold off on that. If we're lucky (may have to move up), I'd rather go with a guy like Ron Brace in the 2nd though should we get Holt. Maybe draft a guy like Ramses Barden or Tiquan Underwood or Jordan Norwood or something on the second day.

9. PinPointPenning10

Considering Housh got 8M/yr, and TO only got 6.5M/yr, there's no way Holt should be getting more than 6, regardless of what Coles got.

10. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

NEITHER. Art monk all over again. Glad Coles is gone and NO Holt.

11. brothermoose

TO is a terrible measuring stick. The guy is poison. Holt is better than Coles and potentially as good as Housh. He will get more than 6M per...I guarantee it.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a Holt signing, but that's pretty much to replace Coles. The only speed in that list is Clowney and he's unproven. The Jets need a deep threat, and having more than one burner on the roster is a good thing. In other words, make a "not bad" corps better with a high pick of a burner wideout.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Why would Holt want to come to the Jets? The QB situation is murky and this team is not expected to air it out this year.

I think Holt wants a TV job and is already thinking about his career after football. From that standpoint, playing for the Jets would make sense.

Holt seems to be a good guy and he will be good as an NFL analyst, but I don't want him on the team.

14. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

There are very few receivers that would have thrived with the Rams last year. Maybe Larry Fitzgerald. I'm surprised Holt did as well as he did stat-wise. I think it may be a good situation to sign Holt because two things are keeping his price tag down, last year's misleading stats and his age. I agree that he may not have a lot of interest in us seeing as our QB situation is murky. I firmly believe that his stats last year were not due to a decline in ability, but a decline in the rest of his team. The guy isn't 40 years old. Lots of guys have had excellent seasons at his age and beyond. I'm not a fan of signing every old fart veteran that ever had a good year, but this guy's consistently good. I don't expect him to be on Fitzgerald's level, he just needs to be good, and he still is. However, I wouldn't sign him if his price tag is unreasonable, and that may be why we wouldn't get him.

#74 bojanglesman, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  15. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

16. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

How much money does he make right now? Why not throw St. Louis a 5th rounder for Holt? That way we don't need to risk losing him to another team

17. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

I like the idea of picking him up but not at the expense of a draft pick. We prob have the edge with Ellard as our new WR coach.

18. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I don't want him less he takes 2 mil per, essentially giving us a big, big Patriot-esque discount. It's not worth it. He's old.

19. brothermoose

Already gave up our 5th for Lito.

20. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Well here's good news for you guys who are willing to part with a 5th.