Top 5 Free Agent Targets in 2019

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jan 14, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i didn't know much about him personally but this was his bio from nfl.com

Overview

Hansen was a late bloomer who didn't stand out on his high school team until his senior year. Idaho State was the only school to make a scholarship offer, so off to Pocatello he went -- for one year. He started 11 games there in 2013 (45-501, three TDs) before sitting out the following year as a transfer to Cal. Hansen contributed in his first year in Berkeley (19-249, TD), and then again surprised the Pac-12 with a second-team all-conference effort in 2016. He ranked third in the FBS with 9.2 receptions a game, and fourth with 124.9 yards a contest (92-1,249), while also scoring 11 times despite missing two games with an ankle injury.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Maneuvers around route redirection in space and keeps his route on time. Works back to the throw. Has some talent after catch on wide receiver screens. Drive off the line and into his routes is consistent no matter which level he is going to work. Good awareness near sidelines. Able to drop his feet in-bounds when crowded against the boundary. Plays with good strength and physicality when mugged in his routes. Has fluid, powerful strides to burst past cornerbacks on vertical routes. Natural ball-tracker. Plus body control for ball adjustments in any direction. Hands are strong and can secure in traffic. Didn’t have to run much of the route tree, but showed willingness to work the middle. Gives physical, extended effort as run-blocker punching into cornerbacks frame and locking out. Able to make first tackler miss and accelerate into open field.
    Weaknesses
    Upright off the snap and into his routes. Is eventual into breaks and allows cornerback time to gear down and transition back to the ball. Can be jammed up by strong press corners. Doesn’t create enough consistent separation with his intermediate routes. Route work at Cal was basic. Will face his share of contested catches on the pro level. Allows throws to crowd his frame. Needs to get better at using body to shield throws from defenders.
    Draft Projection
    Round 3
    Sources Tell Us
    "I'll bet you he will turn into a hot name during the draft. He's kind of unassuming when you see him in person, but he's a really competitive guy who plays bigger and faster than he might test. Coaches are going to love him." -- West regional scout for AFC team
    NFL Comparison
    Allen Hurns
    Bottom Line
    Hansen has good combination of size and speed for the perimeter with an ability to climb over the top of cornerbacks and win the deep ball. He has average separation quickness when asked to work the first two levels, but he has the hands and strength to handle contested catch situations. An ascending prospect in draft circles who should hear his name called on Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) of the daft with a chance to become a WR2.

we drafted him in the 4th IIRC so considered good value not sure why he didn't make it but WRs in the draft are always hard to judge. probbaly been more bust 1st round WRs in the NFL then any other position. and more late round guys who have excelled. for all fairness at the time, it seemed like a great value pick, just didn't pan out

Noam and K'OB like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's why the Morton fire really irked me. He was able to get production out of Hansen. I agree, Mac pulls the trigger early on his draft picks.

3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Morton really didn't get much of anything from Hansen.
    9 catches over 15 games, no TDs playing 1/3 of the offensive snaps.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I know but he really wasn't that good, he only looks better due to the fact master bates took over and proved he should have stayed hiking the countryside.

Considering the state of the WR corps halfway through that season it really was strange that he wasn't given a chance to progress into a second season, understandably they got shot of Stewart for his peds offence but he was also underused by Morton in his rookie season.

They are WR's throw them a ball or two in a game and see, they had Stewart attempt more rushes than catches completed lol jesus, thank god they have gone.

5. 101GangGreen101

He didn't really start playing till late in the year. I saw some decent ability last year, especially ball skills. Yeah not a lot of catches, but just have to see how he's making plays. He also should've had a TD, but McCown missed him. I was hoping he would get better next year.

K'OB likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Wasn't Hansen getting really good reports during spring practices last year? I seem to recall beat writers saying he was poised for a breakout of sorts, yet by the time camp rolled around he was struggling and no one was in the slightest bit surprised he was cut.

7. TonyFtLaud

In pre season or in 2017?
    Last year he bounced around but didn't stick anywhere. Pat's, Titans and Broncos. Don't think he ever saw the field last year

8. K'OB

Yes, this was my recollection as well and then he was cut?

9. 101GangGreen101

This was his rookie year in 2017. He didn't see the field the next year.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The difference was no one was surprised when he was cut. He went from looking really sharp, according to reports, in spring mini camps, to off the pace at the start of camp proper, to flat out sucking by the last preseason game. This just seemed to be a big, fast fall. Something, somewhere had to have caused it, I'm just not sure what. I can't see that it was lack of talent given the relatively promising end to his rookie seasson that demonstrated some ability to play in the NFL.

11. TonyFtLaud

Has to be a reason he failed to make the roster on 3 other WR needy teams post Jets.

NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He had a great off season and was a star in mini camps. He was predicted by many beat writers to be their pick for having a breakout year and a future star but once training camp started and through pre-season he completely disappeared and was over shadowed and outplayed by other wrs. No idea what happened to him but he went from someone everyone was really excited about to nothing very quickly.

Probably what got him cut was a lack of value on ST and why a guy like Peake was kept. But, that still does not explain his sudden drop from being a rising young player to being nobody.

#1872 Noam, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah perhaps it was effort, or just didn't get better. Tough to say.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. K'OB

We should just blame Bowles and be done with it :)

Acad23 and Mr mittens like this.
  15. Or defenders/teams(including teammates)figured him out & he had no answer.

Remember reading he struggled separating in TC & i get the sense beating press became an issue

CotcheryFan likes this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Ansah is off the board. Off to Seattle. No surprise made too much sense for both sides. Shane Ray is the best de/olb to add. I'd be ahppy with him.