Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

THAt's a few hours old gus

2. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Get your Ladanian Tomlinson jerseys!

3. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That's about 2 hours old. Clearly, a lot could have changed by this point.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'm glad the deal got done. I think he can be a good option here. Hope the contract is OK so we don't have to listen to people whinging about it until October.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He's really looked old the last few years. But with our OL and his reduced role hecould have solid production

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

So I guess we're not drafting a RB.

7. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Unfortunately, probably not. So much for Toby Gerhart...(doitanywaydoitanywaydoitanywaydoitanyway)

8. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Gosh darnit you are both awesome and inspiration!!!

Heck if wasn't such a waste of a tremendous poster, I would recommend that you be promoted to moderator!

You make me proud to be an American.

9. GreenMachine

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/tomlinson-agrees-to-join-jets/

The Fifth Down - The New York Times N.F.L. Blog
    March 14, 2010, 5:25 pm
    Tomlinson Agrees to Join Jets
    By JUDY BATTISTA
    New York Jets

When LaDainian Tomlinson completed his visit with the Minnesota Vikings last Thursday, he left with a Vikings jersey in hand. On Sunday, he accepted something of far greater value from the Jets — a two-year contract to become their newest running back and perhaps complete his Hall of Fame career with them.

The acquisition of Tomlinson, who was released by the San Diego Chargers last month after the worst season of his career, extends a recent Jets pattern of aggressively pursuing big-name players, many of whom come with considerable questions.

Two years ago, they traded for quarterback Brett Favre, who was coming off a bitter divorce from Green Bay. A year ago, they traded up in the first round of the draft to take quarterback Mark Sanchez. Then, last season, they traded for the underachieving receiver Braylon Edwards.

Now, despite being limited in their ability to sign top free agents because they finished in the final four last season, the Jets traded for a starting cornerback (Antonio Cromartie, who needed a $500,000 advance on his salary to pay child support for his seven children), dumped a starting safety (Kerry Rhodes) and an extremely productive starting running back (Thomas Jones), and signed a likely starting safety (Brodney Pool). Now, they take on one of the best running backs in football history, albeit one whose decline was precipitous last season.

Tomlinson spent the first nine years of his career with the Chargers, where he displayed dazzling versatility and productivity as he became one of the most best running backs in N.F.L. history. But at age 30, his production dropped drastically in 2009, the result of injuries and the Chargers’ move to a pass-first offense.

The Jets, though, still embrace a “ground and pound” philosophy and, after Jones declined to take a pay cut coming off a 1,400-yard season and was released, they needed a veteran backup to complement the second-year pro Shonn Greene. Tomlinson stepped in, rebuffing the Minnesota Vikings, who offered the chance to be Adrian Peterson’s backup, a job that most likely would have meant fewer touches than the Jets will give him.

The Jets also offer Tomlinson the chance to run behind what may be the N.F.L.’s best offensive line, to work again with the offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who was a Chargers assistant for four years when Tomlinson was there, and what could be extensive use catching passes out of the backfield, where Tomlinson still displays sure hands and impressive route running.

10. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

shit man put a tampon in and move on. you make it seem like i never made a shitty thread and caught shit for it.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

you also have to think this was a move to get more PSL's and more fans in the new stadium

12. Graytness

Graytness Member

I know LT2 hit the wall a couple of years ago, but behind our line and with a reduced role, I expect a solid season from him. Maybe 500-750 yards, I actually think he'll get his YPC back to about 4.0, and maybe 4-6 TDs.

Yes, we all know he does not have the burst he had 3-4 seasons ago. I will take his vision over TJ any day of the week, not to mention his hands out of the backfield. TJ wasn't flashy, but I got so sick of seeing him run straight into the backs of our o-line.

13. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Very solid signing. Get a great vet in our backfield, great 3rd back, and a guy who could take washington's role if he doesn't come back to form.

14. GA Jets

GA Jets New Member

Not to mention someone who can be a check down on passing plays for Sanchez. When Leon got injured last year, we lost our ability to use the RB's as check down receivers. Neither TJ or Shawn are very good receivers. Having Leon back and LT gives us a lot of flexibility.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its a win-win.

Woody gets more sales, and the Jets get a versatile 1B back who is a leader and can catch out of the backfield for Sanchez.

it works out fine.

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Cimini says
    but no numbers.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am ok w/ this as long as Leon is still coming back.

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Coulda told you that. There are plenty of serviceable RBs to be had in FA, cheap trades (Look at TJ), or late rounds. Combine that with the fact that we spent 3 picks drafting an RB last year and it was never a real possibility...at least to me.

RBs are plug 'n play, especially with our line. I am not high on the LT signing because it seems more like a Woody PR move than a football guy FO move. I wouldn't rule out a late round guy that we can PS for a year in the draft, but taking one with a high pick is for the birds.

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I don't see why it would be connected. For Leon to leave someone has to want him. I don't see it happening.

20. Graytness

Graytness Member

Agreed 100%. Do not want him replacing Leon, assuming he fully recovers from his injury.