Tomlinson talk (deal done)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scoffaveli3, Mar 11, 2010.

?

What Will Tomlinson's Numbers Be?

1. Over 8 TD's

120 vote(s)
    58.0%
  2. Under 8 TD's

68 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Over 750 Yards Rushing

74 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Under 750 Yards Rushing

98 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Yeah, that's obviously what I was trying to say.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

One thing that sticks out for LT in his stats from last year was his 12TD's, which changes my stance from horrible to "meh".

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

LT is on the decline so I do not see why we'd want him.

Leon can help Shonn, LT will be injured soon and be gone for half the season.

If we are looking for a bruiser to compliment our other backs he is not it.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Yea he still has that nose for the endzone, which TJ was also good with. I don't really care too much if we get him or not, but I don't think it would be horrible.

6. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

I've watched him a lot and he's washed up. He gets no yards after contact and doesn't have the same burst. The thing that makes me believe it could work out is Thomas Jones. He doesn't break tackles or have explosive speed yet he has been very productive behind our line. Maybe LT can gain some confidence and become useful.

7. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Eh, we all know Favre is coming back, and LT will most likely feel he has a better shot at a SB with the Vikes. I don't see him passing up playing in Minn., unless he really would prefer more of a role, which he would certainly get here in NY.

If we get him, I'm not against it. It would mean no Ryan Mathews for sure, though. :(

8. ........

........ Trolls

Why the hell would anyone want FWP at this point?

We're drafting a back no matter what. If LT comes in, it'll be for 1 or 2 years at a cheap rate. I doubt the front office drops TJ's contract only to pick up a comparable one for LT.

Of course, as someone who watched his fair share of Chargers games last season and every Jets game, the biggest difference between LT and TJ was their respective lines.

9. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Because a veteran back who is a threat in the passing game isn't a bad idea, if his role is limited to, (as someone mentioned before) 7-10 carries a game. LT is comparable in running style to TJ, but he happens to be a tad bit faster (even if he's lost a step) and he doesn't fumble like TJ. He hasn't been injured in a while either, so I'd be willing to take a chance for a year and 1-2 mill

10. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

thank you, people don't seem to realize that the past few years the chargers offensive line was built to pass block, not to run block, and that is why LT's yards per carry has dropped significantly (to 3.3).

obviously he's older and he's losing his explosiveness, but i'm willing to bet he's still pretty damn explosive, and playing behind the best run-blocking o-line in the nfl his yards per carry will climb back up.

he's also one of the best running backs the nfl has ever seen which would be great to have him around shonn greene. he's a leader, who realizes if he wants the superbowl so badly he must take a reduced role on a good team. we need a 3rd rb because we know greene is injury prone and i don't want to see him go for 300 carries next season.

we should definitely sign him if he isn't too expensive. i doubt he will be because he only seems to care about getting a ring.

11. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Let alone the Chargers line was built to pass the ball. The chargers gave up running the ball when they got rid of lorenzo neal and micheal turner. If you looked at the chargers it was just LT that had a decline it was the whole running game with sproles, tolbert, hester and LT they could not get anything done because they were passing the all day. they gave up the run for short yardage passes to Gates and that other TE they have.

With that said if the price is right he would fit in perfectly.

12. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I still prefer Mike Bell. I think with T-Rich (who they better re-sign) and our O-line Bell would flourish, especially with the running back-by-committee we'll have. I could see 1,000 yard seasons for Greene (provided he stays healthy) and Bell. LT would be alright, I guess, but Bell simply because he has a lot more in the tank, and is still hungry to prove himself.

13. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Plus I wouldn't mind getting a Jets jersey that says Tomlinson on it and I would wear that thing everyday since I live in San Diego. For them to see their franchise hero on the team that beat them in the playoffs be just so golden for me. Let alone he has a great season and becomes comeback player of the year I would pay to see that. Seeing the Charger fans face would be priceless.

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Oh, I see we are going bi-polar. 99% rushing team, ends up being 99% passing team.
    If Greene is going to be the only interior rusher we are going to use, he'd better stay healthy.
    The only reason LT will be here is to be another passing weapon for Sanchez.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't think it happens.he can go to the vikes and be #2 or come here and probably be # behind l.w.i have a feeling tanny is going to try to bring in another back because he plans on moving up in the draft somewhere.

16. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Maybe horrible wasn't the word I meant to use. It might've been fresh in my head after reading some of these "Should we get him?" threads and the joke threads that started spreading in the main forum.

I don't think LT would be a bad signing, but I do worry about how oft-injured he is. I'm thinking nothing short of another Playoff appearance next season, and the idea of SG and LT being hurt on the sidelines, specially in the POs, scares the shit out of me. This is where my real beef is with this signing.

I like Willie Parker. His knocks are he's oft-injured and he lost that breakaway speed he used to have, but he can run between the tackles hard and tire defenses out. LT doesn't have the burst to hit the holes anymore and can't no longer juke anybody in the open field. I think both backs behind our OL can find great success to be honest with u.

17. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

One thing to consider, LT's YPC was horrible last year, at 3.3 per carry (down from 3.8). Which makes me think he's washed up. But last year, Sproles' YPC dropped too from 5.4 to 3.7.

That SD running game was bad for both of them last year. I picked up Tomlinson on my fantasy team, so I watched a lot of him in the second half of the year. I'm not sure it was his fault, there were plenty of times his Oline just didn't get the blocks for him to make a decent run.

As many others have mentioned, he's a great pass catching back. He'd be a good 3rd down back if we lose Washington.

18. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

haha, that would be awesome

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm sure the potential signing of LT will in turn help PSL sales to escalate as well........we all know what Woddy's real mandate is. :wink:

20. Johnny English

Johnny English Well-Known Member

As others have said, he's not going to give us 250 carries a season and he's not going to make many 70 yard TD runs, but when it comes to punching through a hole from two yards out at 3rd and Goal there aren't many players I'd rather be giving the ball to. As a RB playing a specific role and helping SG and possibly the back we get with the second round pick for Leon, LT looks like a good all round choice.