Todd Bowles preaches accountability

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 7, 2015.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I NEVER want to see this team on Hard Knocks again unless it's a special focus on the team that just won 3 SBs back to back.

RuJFan likes this.
  2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I find the idea that grown men being paid enormous salaries and that are supposed to be "professionals" need treating like a bunch of school kids in order to turn up and do their jobs laughable.

"yeah, maybe I am getting paid several million dollars but don't expect me to turn up to a meeting on time unless someone is going to send me to the naughty corner if I am late"

no - not unless we manage to luck into a franchise QB - there isn't any coach in football in the modern era that is going to have lasting success without a top 10 QB and we don't have one. that is the joke of the NFL - coaches get fired year after year for a lack of success but nothing they can do can compensate for having a poor QB - the same way that coaches get lauded year after year as geniuses mainly for getting lucky in the QB stakes.

4jetfans likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You mean Bellicheck ain't a genius?

It goes without saying that great players makes coaches look good.

But there are steps a coach can take to minimize the damage an average qb can do.

Rex & Co. did a pretty good job with Sanchez.

4. NCJetsfan

You can't be serious. Most people are basically slack. We'll get away with whatever we think we can. People steal office supplies, pad their business expense accounts, waste millions of hours a year during business hours posting on sports fan sites, visiting Facebook, etc. Many won't push themselves to do their best or be their very best. They'll settle for something much less. Many, if not most, people today have a sense of entitlement as if life, others and their employers owe them something.

No disrespect meant, but if you really think what you stated in your opening sentence, you don't understand human nature at all.

5. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Link?

Wait whut?

_

6. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would say that Belli is a great coach - but its also true that every team with a winning record over the last decade had a top 10 QB on their roster during that time (other than Baltimore) and so QB >>>>>>>> coach every day of the week - a coach can minimize the damage a poor QB can do and can compensate to an extent but having a good QB is going to do way more for you than a change in HC.

almbleamal likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

what I said was that I find the idea that players need yelling at like little kids in order to perform laughable, not that it doesn't need to happen (so it would seem) - it just seems nuts that players cannot motivate themselves to do the right things and to put a bit of effort in when getting paid that kind of money and in a career that is so short and so precarious

(though (to be fair to them and thinking on it some more) it may in part be a consequence of habits that they get into when playing in high school and then college and just don't grow out of - sometimes it is hard to remember that a lot of these guys are still very young)

8. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Bellicheat is a genius at cheating. He goes above an beyond to find new ways to cheat..

9. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I just realized I wouldn't be half so grumpy and argumentative if this team would just show some promise and actually win a SB already - its the constant wearing frustration and negativity of the team that just grinds you down (in football fandom terms). I look forward to the draft each year but beyond that other than 2010 I am really struggling to remember a season I actually really enjoyed.

10. NCJetsfan

It is laughable, and sad also. Of course they shouldn't need any external motivation, but just because someone has a lot of football talent doesn't mean that he is mature, has priorities in the right place, etc. We would be motivated because we'd give about anything to be in their place, but lots of them are spoiled. As you said, they've been catered to, praised, had blind eyes turned to their misdeeds, gotten accolades since they were in high school or younger, and developed some bad habits, both physically and emotionally. Too, even when we think we're working as hard as we can, we sometimes need someone to push us even harder. Most of us don't know how much we can really do or accomplish. With someone pushing our buttons, we can often do more than we dared dream.

11. NCJetsfan

I totally understand. This team has driven any long term fan nuts more than once over the years. Chin up, mate. I truly believe that things are about to take a dramatic turn for the better. I think Mac is going to build a great team and Bowles is going to do a much better job than we're accustomed to as HC.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the biggest difference you'll notice is the end of Club Rex and the beginning of accountability. I'm looking forward to the season as I have no expectations other than basic improvement in all aspects of the organization.

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  13. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

All I know is that if the Jets had committed far less penalties and turnovers during Rex's tenure, they would have been playing in two super-bowl games.

60% of Rex's losses came from games where they outplayed opponents but had stupid turnovers that cost big points. If Todd Bowles defense can be just 70% of what Rex's defense was, and this team commits 50% of their previous year's penalties and turnovers, then I think they easily get a playoff spot.

4jetfans likes this.
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Kinda helps when everyone shows up on time to go to work doesn't it... Discipline is key and there can't be discipline without punishments. That's why Smith should have been benched and Pryor called out on the carpet. I guess this is what happens when your HC is freewheeling.

#114 Cman68, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  15. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Finally someone who watched the games last year and makes sense.

16. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

The turnovers during Rex's tenure were primarily down to QB play (we had/have QBs that threw incredible number of interceptions and seemingly way more "pick 6's" than anyone else) and that has been compounded recently as in the last two years we were 32nd and 31st in terms of takeaways and that was mainly due to who we had playing in the secondary - given who we now have at CB that is almost certain to improve but if it does then that is 99% down to player personnel moves rather than coaching.

As for penalties, the only years we really committed a lot of penalties relative to the league average were the two best years under Rex - 2009 and 2010, hell in 2012 we committed the 3rd lowest number of penalties in the league and anyway if you look at who commits the most penalties each year you soon see that penalties don't really mean that much and seem to have very little correlation to the success of the team (which seems to be mainly down to the quality of your QB) - look at the Patriots - in 2013 they had the second lowest number of penalties per game and went 12-4 and almost made it to the SB and in 2014 they were ranked 26th in terms of penalties and still went 12-4 and won the SB.

17. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

there are pros and cons on both sides. keeping it loose has its benefits just as much as running a tight ship. both approaches go to hell once you start losing.

18. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

Rex talked a good game too for a bit man was he full of ****. Idzik came in talking about sustainable success.

Sounds good, looks good in print.

Bottom line: Win football games lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa football games.

19. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

The only teams that win lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa lotsa football games are the ones that have top 10 QBs

20. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He was probably there when Hernandez killed Odin Loyd ,calling the plays and hiding the gun

FlaJet likes this.