Todd Bowles preaches accountability

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The 1985er, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Maybe he's talking about the pro game

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not in the NFL. Todd Bowles signed as an UFA and worked his way into a Safety signal caller on the SB Champ Redskins with smarts and savvy.
    His resume is long, and diverse. I think that's what he's talking about

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe he will be the new Parcells. Parcells and his staff brought discipline and accountability to the Jets immediately after they took over.

4jetfans likes this.
  4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He still played and knows the game and has been around the game since he was in diapers.

I think it's a moot point. Belichick never played in the NFL so yeah.

For the record I like the Bowles hire but not because he's a former player. I like the fact that he's had time as an assistant head coach in addition to being a DC and secondary coach. He's also familiar with the division having worked for the Fins from 08-11.

Brook! likes this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This was always my biggest bitch in regards to Rex, he held no one accountable for their actions.
    I also read where Amaro said the same thing about Rex.

Glad to hear things should be different under Bowles.

Brook! and 4jetfans like this.
  6. Walt White

I view that part of his resume as a plus. I think a lot of people do. I think that that is going to manifest itself in how he handles the players on an individual basis. I think some people see that as a necessary thing. It's gonna be different. So I wasn't taking Rockinz post so literally.
    Hey, Bowles could be the next Ray Handley, but I'm hoping that his resume will help him be a better CEO. A guy who is a capable leader that oversees all aspects of the team, and players.

7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

It's all about establishing boundaries, same as any other profession. Bowles would have no respect whatsoever if he approached it any other way. Bowles didn't need back-channels to know that Rex's QB's throughout his tenure were turnover machines, and yet, it continued. I have a hard time believing many coaches would've allowed Geno to miss a meeting in San Diego under the circumstances that he did and then still start him, especially with the season already spiraling out of control. Then to make it worse, his immediate backup admits after the game that he wasn't prepared to go in. What?

Walt White likes this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Umm no he didn't.. He was in high school in Canada and didn't start anywhere in college or pro

9. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

True but Parcells came with a gravitas that Bowles does not have.

Parcells had rings and had brought different franchises to championship levels and was a known winning commodity.

I love the Bowles hire but he's not going to command a franchise simply with his presence like Parcells did.

He brought instant credibility with his resume and personality.

_

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

You sure? He played DE at Southwestern Oklahoma State and went to High School in Illinois.

The original statement was "he never played the game" which is a great exaggeration.

Obviously Bowles was a better player, hopefully he is a better HC.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Give him some time.

Parcell's didn't always have such "gravitas"....Giants brass tried to toss him in '83.

This is his first HC gig.

I think he's doing fine so far.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It may be that Bowles will be the anti-Rex which in this situation, isn't a bad thing at all. A whole new approach along with a kick in the ass to the "privileged" on the roster is probably what this team has needed for several years.

13. JStokes

I was responding to someone who said Parcells brought immediate discipline and accountability to the Jets. By the time he got to the Jets his gravitas was never greater. His presence alone changed that building the day he stepped into it.

I like Bowles but it's going to take a very long time for him to have that sort of weight.

_

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think he will be. Based on what I read about Bowles last year, the players on the Cards loved and respect him. He was disciplined, held them accountable and expected them to be disciplined, but wasn't a hard ass about it. He had developed personal relationships (doesn't mean buddy-buddy ala Rex) that enabled his success as DC.

15. Walt White

I remember when Tuna first arrived. He brought that presence, but he made some immediate changes too, to eradicate the previous atmosphere and culture.
    Some of the things TB has said have implied to me that he'll be doing that. He's already talked about stuff involving approach to games and the mentality he wants, that made reference to how things were.

The Players better be ready. I am not gonna be surprised if there's a heavy disciplinary action, trade or a high profile cut. Maybe not but I wouldn't be surprised

supersonic and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

You are right. But without it you go nowhere.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Well I don't think you need to be a player to be a good coach. So I agree with your points to a degree. The only thing I can say is although it sounds stupid that being a former NFL player means anything- it actually does to the players. Like a respect in the room type thing. Its not the end all be all, but it definitely helps and I think is a slightly bigger deal than one would think.

They had Cromartie on Sirius Radio and when they asked him about playing for Bowles that was the very first thing he alluded to. Not anything about his ability to lead or work a room, not xs & os, he went out of the way to make the point that he's played the game in this league and the respect that brings in the locker room. Cromartie has been a guy that is a difficult personality to work with in the past.

I think you have a conference room full of 20 & 30 somethings with big egos and personalities and if your job is to lead and discipline them it would certainly help if you can relate to being in their situation and give you some credibility in the room. Players do respect former players.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

If "discipline" means less distractions then I'm all for it.

Time may prove me wrong, but I don't think these guys are fucking around.

19. JStokes

So I'm taking it you don't want to see us on Hard Knocks again?

You're a bad fan.

_

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Maybe....but I'd rather be relevant by winning games.

But that's just me.

NCJetsfan likes this.