Todd Bowles new Jets HC per Schefter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BigGreenUgly, Jan 13, 2015.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

have you watched the playoffs?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Here is my one question about the Jets hiring Bowles: Was the report of the Jets being prepared to, fly out to Seattle and hire Quinn after Saturday's game, assuming the Seahawks lost, true? If so, to go from that on Saturday to hiring Bowles on Tuesday is kind of CRAZY. Haha.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think it's most likely true. Once they saw Bowles get called for a second interview in Atlanta, they couldn't afford to lose their 2nd option while waiting for their first.

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Also, keep in mind that the teams with newly minted head coaches such as the Bills were starting to hire assistant coaches.

Waiting for Quinn could have potentially left us hanging while the more desirable assistant coaches were scooped up by teams that had already gotten their GM and HC positions filled.

5. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Wrong thread,.. moving to Mac thread.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The reporters were all over the place, contradicting each other and sometimes even themselves. I don't believe a damn thing until someone legit makes it official.

NY Jets68 and hiker like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said. I also believe that our new GM might have been more inclined to go with Bowles after the interview. The more I read about Bowles, particularly from players from other teams, the more impressed I am.

I for one, a Woody super critic, would like to give him kudos on the overall selections and the manner in which it was done. It is time to start fresh and not look back.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I suppose something might come to light in the future that would lead us to rethink this. But yes, this has been a dynamic situation with various parts moving and in play, and we all must acknowledge going forward that there was a fractional chance of getting Quinn when we don't really know he would have been better than Bowles.

So yes, let's focus on the going forward part, and be optimistic. In that connection, the point about the second interview is very helpful and positive.

9. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

This!!!

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This new regime, which by the way I'm very optimistic about, is giving me more hope about the future than ever before.

1- I like the fact that our new GM would not take the job without a strong commitment to completely bolster and improve the resources of the scouting department - Finally someone that understands that champions are built through the draft
    2- A quiet, knowledgeable and aggressive new HC that is incredibly respected by players and coaches across the NFL. He will have a hand in recommending strong additions via free agency and the clout to bring them home
    3- An OC that for once at least understands what it takes to win in todays NFL. I feel his style was perhaps ahead of it's time, and successful without the benefit of superstars. I do wonder why he was out of the business for two years but is a chance worth taking. I like his personality, open and unpredictable style, and the leadership qualities that he brings to the new coaching staff. He could help develop a young assistant coach to take the reigns in the future and truly assess our offensive personnel needs particularly at QB and OL

I just cant wait for free agency and the draft as the first critical step towards a much improved and football savvy team.

So, at the risk of getting totally flamed, with Gailey now on board is Cutler an option? Would we ever trade for Bradford? Mariotta can very well be there at six, is that the type of QB Gailey would want, or more like Winston's quick read, strong arm?

Exciting times for once

#350 LAJet, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    MikeSLTJ23 likes this.
  11. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Based on reading articles and watching youtube videos of press conferences and such, Quinn was my first choice, but Bowles was a close second. It is hard to really know a lot about these things, from a fan's position. I trust all the recommendations from Parcells and just about everyone who has worked with him. So much better than some of the other names that were getting thrown around. Not initially thrilled about Gailey, but will give it a chance.

I am looking forward to a new vibe with this club, where people work hard, keep their mouth shut, stay out of the headlines (except for on-field stuff!), and be professionals.

12. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Yeah; it's a tricky thing. It'd certainly have been considered a big win for the Jets if they got the #1 regarded prospect, but from a neutral perspective, the Jets are not the most desirable team to join. The Broncos, if Peyton Manning stays, would clearly be the #1 job at least if you're looking at it from a short-term perspective, which is how the league operates today. And then the 49ers are pretty good overall, and the Falcons look like a good team that keeps underperforming due to bad coaching. Both of those look like better jobs than the Jets job too.

I wanted Quinn too, but I was holding my breath over it. If we waited, imagine what would happen if Quinn ultimately decided to go to another team? We'd probably end up with Doug Marrone after all. It just feels weird and bad to take a coach that no other team was considering - like when we got Idzik. My biggest complaint about Marrone was that he clashed so much with the Bills' front office; the last thing we need is to plunge back into circus mode.

Bowels is an exciting coach, and was able to do a lot to help Arizona's defense. They aren't as good as Seattle, but they have vastly inferior personnel. I think he can help get the Jets' defense right back on track, and he's bringing in an OC with a track record of getting the most out of bad QBs. Add in the fact that we now have a legitimate GM, and I'm excited about the 2015 draft and season.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I broached this in another thread and that IS the million dollar question! Gailey's offense, no mistake about it, requires an intelligent QB. I, personally, do not think Cutler has it between the ears to get it done. Neither does Winston, as far as the draft goes...not that we'd have a shot at him. Not too sure about Mariotta either. I STILL think Bradford doesn't get out of St. Louis. Why would they get rid of him? Arizona...heck their own team is a perfect example. Depth at the QB position is a real issue now. I just do not see St. Louis parting with Bradford.

So, I'll ask here much like I asked in the other thread...WHO do we go get that has the mental capacity/makeup to run this offense? People forget that Fitzpatrick was an Ivy League graduate who blew the Wonderlick off the page. He was a very bright guy... We can't just stick a guy who has the mental capacity of a stone (Geno) in to run this. I also ask what about our own Simms...anyone know if he has the "smarts?" I mean if Gailey can make a below average guy like Fitzpatrick something special why not Simms?? Who knows but I'm going to be real interested how this all unfolds. ;)o_O

14. thatisjetsfootball

thatisjetsfootball Active Member

That is an impressive staff!

15. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

fitzpatrick is no brady but combine him with a solid running game and a dominating defense and u can sling together 9 wins

16. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Although he had success with Fitzpatrick. Look at what he accomplished with Tyler Thigpen in 11 games in '08. I'm far more impressed in what he did with him, considering he was never able to duplicate that success from that year. I posted the stats earlier, but it was like 20 TDs and 3k combined yards in 11 games. That said, I doubt the Jets have the QB on the roster right now. I'm not confidant in Geno learning another offense, so it would be nice to see them give Simms a shot in the off season. Otherwise, a serviceable vet might suffice as a seat warmer.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I am 85% sure...My source, which is my fucking gut tells me...

That Bowles decided to choose the Jets because he will has a direct reporting line to Woody Johnson.

It has been known that Woody hired Mac who will report direct to Woody and the Head Coach was also going to directly report to Woody. Both GM and HC are on equal levels...That is a HUGE deal.

Trust me in a football heirachy the better you are with the owner the better your situation becomes.

The Falcons have a GM who is not going anywhere and Arthur Blank may have wanted Bowles, that Bowles was going to end up reporting to that GM in Atlanta and fuck that...Why have that when you essentially can connect directly with the Owner on all matters YOU control.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Falcons lost out on Rex and Bowles and will likely lose out on Quinn too

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

The untimely but inevitable death of Arthur Blank's mother has definitely impacted things.

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

unfortunate for the team but Family comes First