Today is Sam Darnold day. It's all about Sam Darnold.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You compared the two. They both had a bad game. All is not told by the stat line at all times.

It went over my head obviously. Can you explain your point?

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They had a rookie QB who has a low ceiling and wasn't ready to start. I don't think it would have been THAT poorly received. Also I wouldn't use this board as a gauge for normalcy. We are stupid.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

hey now, buffalo is not THAT much better. I'm hoping they lose to Pittsburgh and NE so that we can spoil all their fun in week 17. Buffalo finishes 9-7, Jets 7-9. Whoopdie do, we both suck

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Im just greatful we can call this QB performance below average... our past 4-5 qb's this would have been a good game by their standards

6. BroadwayAaron

This is exactly what frustrates me. Swap coaching staffs and I'm willing to bet we're at least 8-5 sitting in the wild card spot right now.

Buffalo, Cleveland, Miami, Cincy all would have been wins.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we are
    5-5 with sam
    5-4 with a healthy sam
    5-2 with sam and beechum playing together
    5-1 with a healthy sam and beechum playing

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The Jets have no star impact players at 4 of the 5 most important positions in today's NFL. No edge rusher, no wide receiver, no corner back, and no offensive linemen.

For 10 years the Jets have all but ignored the offensive side of the ball in the early rounds of the draft and have not drafted players at impact positions on defense.

Interior defensive line in a 3-4 is low impact. Both SS and FS are low impact. The Jets spent 80M on an inside LB rather than spend big on the multiple edge rushers that hit the market.

Words cannot possibly describe how inept both Idzik and Mac were.

dawinner127, FJF and CotcheryFan like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

denver has star impact players at CB (harris) Edge (chubb and miller) WR (sutton), and a good o-line

how is it working out for them with the same record as us?

10. NYJFOREVER

They started Joe fucking Flacco because their rookie QB was hurt to start the season.

They're 2-0 with Drew Lock and just smashed the Texans teeth in.

They lost to Jacksonville by 2, Vikings by 4, and got hosed by the refs against the Bears in week 2. They're better than the Jets.

dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Imagine how much better our D would be if we took a certain edge rusher who has the same name as the Bills starting QB. I still haven't gotten over it. :mad::mad::mad:

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

Imagine drafting 5 interior defensive linemen in the first round over the last 10 years when the team runs a 3-4 defense.

Jets took Coples over Ingram. They took Quinnen over Allen AND Burns. Can't make this shit up, it's a sick joke

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Buffalo didn’t lose their QB for a month with mono

sean McDermott, future HOF coach, doesn’t win with Luke Falk

FJF and DefenseWinsChampionships like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Where did anyone call him a HOF coach? All I did was call him competent for building a system and style around his QB so you definitely don’t mean me.

15. BrowningNagle

It’s called sarcasm

16. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I’m late to the party here, but I did NOT like what I saw from Darnold yesterday. He is far from consistent QB play and that is alarming.

The Good Darnold is quite good. The bad Darnold is pretty bad. He needs to show less of his bad side next year or else...

I also foresee him playing very, very poorly these next three weeks. Lots of “what was he thinking?” Kind of throws/decisions.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I see above average talent, but I also see bad mechanics and bad decision making. And I don't see enough talent (no Rodgers/Mahomes arm or Jackson/Allen legs) to make up for those weaknesses (unless he fixes them, which he hasn't done yet). It's true that he has little to work with, but he's also had the benefit of playing a ridiculously easy schedule so far this year. If he still looks decent after Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Buffalo I'll be much more optimistic. Having said that, if he had good coaching and teammates, things would be a lot different. But I'm not holding my breath on him getting either of those things as a Jet. So he's pretty much on his own, and I'm not convinced he'll be able to pull it off.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They're not terrible points, but the bad mechanics thing is way overrated. Favre had awful mechanics, Mahomes has bad mechanics, Wentz has bad mechanics and an extremely long throwing motion. Forget it with Rivers. He's lucky he got into the NFL with that slingshot shotput motion.

You can do it both ways. The Eli, Peyton, Brady, Brees way where you're a little bit of a lesser athlete inside/outside the pocket so everything needs to be perfect, or the way the other guys do it.

The comparisons to Favre are probably the closest in terms of play style. Obviously nowhere near Favre in terms of accomplishments or any of that but his golden gift is the ability to make big plays out of broken plays from bad arm angles. His big play to Robby Anderson vs. The Raiders is an example of that, and so was the 3rd and 12 pickup against the Giants where he back-footed a middle of the field come back route and fit it in.

The chunk plays are there and he's really good at it. His issue is that he's always looking for them. And needs to continue to learn and understand the importance of putting a drive together. The 3rd and 1 play to Crowder was a good example. I still don't blame him for making the throw because a good throw puts us to the goal line, but he could've also picked up 7 himself.

I also think he had poor accuracy yesterday on some balls that were open. The scramble to Daniel Brown is a good example. If he's going to hang his hat on scramble plays he needs to hit those.

It's ok to pickup three or four on an underneath pattern on first down. Even if it's play action.

I think you really underestimate his arm talent though. It's not as big as Mahomes' or as quick and effortless as Rodgers but he really does have a big time NFL arm.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

You would be the only person on planet earth who thinks Allen has a low ceiling.

20. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

You really don’t watch bills games do you lol. Completely wrong on all counts