To The Mark Sanchez Defenders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Graytness, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Graytness

Graytness Member

I think it's safe to say that 99% of people here enjoyed that. Shit, that might have been the apex of being a Jets fan for anyone born after 1969. However, if football is a TEAM game as so many people are so quick to point out in their defense of Sanchez, those were TEAM wins.

To put things in perspective, let's really look at just how impressive Sanchez was in those 4 magical playoff wins.

2009:
    vs. Cincy (24-14) - 12/15, 182 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT (97.2 QBR, 139.4 RAT)
    vs. SD (17-14) - 12/23, 100 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT (47.4 QBR, 60.1 RAT)
    vs. IND (17-30) - 17/30, 257 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT (77.9 QBR, 93.3 RAT)

2010:
    vs. IND (17-16) - 18/31, 189 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT (57.5 QBR, 62.4 RAT)
    vs. NE (28-21) - 16/25, 194 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT (88.8 QBR, 127.3 RAT)
    vs. PIT (19-24) - 20/33, 233 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT (56.2 QBR, 102.2 RAT)

So in those 4 playoff wins, he never completed more than 20 passes in a game. Did not eclipse 200 yards in any single game. Out of 4 wins, the Jets D only allowed one team to score more than 20 points (21 to NE). Each time the D gave up more than 21 points, they lost. When the team needed him to step up, they lost. Wins are wins, but don't be fooled into thinking he was the reason the TEAM won those games. Again, the Jets win those games with almost any QB.

2. BookEndTackles 72&79

I've defended Sanchez but it's really time to stop now. I understand he has no weapons, the running game is weak, there have been drops, etc, etc and a whole host of other issues that he is up against which are not of his doing or his fault at all but he doesn't help himself at all with his own play and the things that he has control over and that is perhaps the biggest disappointment to me.

First of all I like the kid. He seems a hard worker, is a good teammate and wants to succeed but I simply can't defend him anymore. We are 4 years in and his accuracy has NOT improved. He still misses badly on throws to guys when he is not rushed and has a lane to see him. That throw to Holmes yesterday along the sidelines where he is open occurs too often. In the NFL if a reciever has a step on a defender and you have a clean throwing lane you MUST hit that pass over 90% of the time and Sanchez is nowhere close on those "easy" completions. Mark is nowhere near that and often missed terribly.

4 years in and his pocket awareness while slightly improved is still below average. What is he doing on that strip sack yesterday?? His eyes weren't downfield and he is running around in circles with the ball unsecured. Totally inexcusable. That was deflating because it was the difference in a 4 pt game or a 10 pt game at the half.

4 years in and when the pocket collapses around him and there is nothing there he is very rarely decisive and takes off running and makes a play with his feet to get a couple of yards to avoid a sack. Actually he did this early on but in such successive year he gets worse at it. Watch how Aaron Rodgers makes a decision on when to take off and run. He can avoid some of these sacks but simply doesn't have the awareness to do so.

An organization simply can't tolerate the repeated mistakes he makes now in Year 4. At this point it is time to move on. I think he can go somewhere else and have some success but let's face it it's not gonna be here. He has 12 games to prove he can be SOMETHING but the QB situation needs to be addressed in a serious manner next year. Vet or draft one way or the other.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I never claimed he was the reason they won. I claimed that they can with him. Major difference.

I'm arguing the point that dumping Sanchez is a magic pill to solve all the Jets problems. After that shit show they put on yesterday, the problems run so deep no individual change will fix anything. They are having catastrophic level issues right now.

Again, Sanchez is not the problem, but a part of it.

4. Graytness

Graytness Member

There's really no point. In this thread alone, Sanchez is compared to Rivers, Ryan, Romo, and both Mannings. Seriously? Aside from Eli, who struggled early on in his career, there is no question that those other guys are head and shoulders above Sanchez.

I guess if you only watched the Jets, Sanchez doesn't look that bad. If you watch other teams play, you realize how bad it is. I don't think I've seen any of the above players look as lost as I've seen Sanchez look with regularity.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

don't post #s w/o context, be a better football fan than that.

at Cincy, near flawless. had 3 incompletions all day and 2 were drops.
    at SD: converted 3 HUGE 3rd downs including the scramble for our 1st TD to give us the lead
    at Indy: led us to 17-6 lead, lost Greene early in 3rd and D blew lead.

at Indy '10: his only struggles in postseason, had awful 1st half but good 2nd half and led GW FG drive- got us into chip shot range.
    at NE: his redirect of Braylon changed that game, threw 3 TDs, outplayed the best QB in the game.
    at Pitt: brought us back and gave us a chance, D blew it.

The Jets don't win those games w/ almost any QB, for example a guy like Rivers has had more talent around him but he will try to make the spectacular play and screw his team w/ bad TOs and bad decisions. Don't underestimate what Mark did, it's hard to win road playoff games in this league and he was a big reason why we won 4.

6. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

No, he wasn't. You're clearly a fanboy. He threw for 100 yards against SD and contributed 9 total passing yards to our only two touchdowns drives. Get out of here with that nonsense.

7. nyjunc

go back and watch the games and have someone who knows the game explain it to you. he did much more for us in that game than shows up in a boxscore.

8. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Explain to me how passing for 9 yards combined on the only two touchdown drives of the game can be described as "much more" than anything.

9. Graytness

Graytness Member

Listen, nobody is arguing that he was completely insignificant in those victories. I think, and I can only speak for myself, that what we are arguing is his contributions to those victories can't justify starting him for 4 years with little signs of improvement. I'm of the belief that the Jets win those games with nearly any other starting QB. Just my opinion, of course.

10. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

We scored 17 points. On our three scoring drives, we passed for a combined total of 13 yards. Do you understand how monumentally worthless that is? We averaged 4.33 passing yards per scoring drive. The only way Sanchez could've mattered less is if he hired a stunt double to hand the ball off for him.

11. Graytness

Graytness Member

I doubt many read the article, but for those who haven't, there's also this aspect of their 2009 playoffs run. Sanchez totally put a voodoo curse on those kickers.

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The scenario you suggest reminds me of the Chargers when they had Brees and drafted Eli, which turned into Rivers. Unless something drastic happens between now and then and the jets somehow miraculously pull out of this nose dive, then I think QB is something to look at very early in the draft. Especially now with the rookie pay scale it no longer is cost-prohibitive to have a first-round QB waiting in the wings.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

2010 season
    4th in rushing (148.4 yards per game)
    22nd in passing (202.6 yards per game)
    3rd in defense (291.5 yards per game)

And in 2009, the Jets defense allowed 48.2 less yards per game than any other defense in the AFC. 32.1 yards less than the 2nd place defense Packers.

If you want to argue whether they were "dominant" or merely "one of the top defenses in the NFL," that's not the point. Dominant or not, the Jets had the better defense in the vast majority of games Mark Sanchez has played in.

And that while Sanchez has been here, the Jets defense always relied on running the ball and not on passing the ball. That's indisputable.

Did Sanchez do enough to lose those AFC Championship games? No. He played pretty well in both games, especially that Pittsburgh game. I left the Pittsburgh game thinking we had a very good quarterback for the next decade.

Sanchez deserves credit for winning playoff games on the road. You can't take that way from him, even if he isn't the main reason the Jets won those games.

However, other than winning those games (not carrying the team on his back, but just being the quarterback on the winning team) only goes so far. You want to see Sanchez becoming a better quarterback and learning from his mistakes.

This is a huge year in Mark's development. I'm still on board with Mark, but my confidence is definitely waning. I don't think this week will be much better offensively. He has no help around him, but he can't even move the ball.

Figuring out when to pull the plug on a young quarterback is tough. The Jets have invested a lot of time and resources in Mark Sanchez. It's tough to give up on him right now with the absolute lack of talent around him, but he has to find a way to make things happen and not make so many dumb mistakes.

I still think he can be the guy long-term, even if I'm not all that confident about that anymore. But he's in a terrible situation right now that's almost setting him up to fail. And he can't rise above that.

14. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

In 2004, Big Ben was taken one spot ahead of us. We took Vilma.

If he had been there, our genius front office probably would have passed on him anyway.

15. nyjunc

you can cite rankings all you want but our top 2 backs in 2010 averaged 4.16 YPC which is good not great. we were 4th in rush yds b/c Joe McKnight had a great meaningless game in week 17(158 yds on almost 5 YPC) and b/c of Brad Smith(299 yds on 38 carries).

LT was our starter that year, he started off great.

first 5 weeks
    76 carries, 453 yds, 5.7 YPC, 3 TDs

final 11 games:
    143-461, 3.2 YPC, 3 TDs

That was the LT he had most of the season.

Our run game was nowhere near an actual top 10 type rushing attack.

as far as the D, it was very good in 2009 but blew many leads- @Mia, Jax, Atl. Same problem happened in 2010 but Sanchez was good enough to overcome to lead us back numerous times.

You cannot be a great D and consistently melt in big spots.

16. nyjunc

There was no way we take Ben in 2004 if he was there, it wouldn't have made any sense. This was before Chad's caeer altering shoulder injury.

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Wow, Junc defending his boy Sanchez to the grave even though 99% of other fans have jumped ship. Shocking...

18. nyjunc

who cares who has jumped ship? I'm not a typical fan who sways with the wind. I don't give up on guys every time they have a bad game.

19. Graytness

Graytness Member

Out of curiosity Junc, what would convince you that Sanchez was not the answer? Obviously, a completion percentage below 55% doesn't do it. The turnovers don't do it. The fact that he struggles to pass for 100 yards in losses, even though it's a passing league, doesn't do it.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. I'm honestly wondering.

20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

^Did you miss the Bills game? The playoffs in 09 and 10?

It's just funny how after a couple weak games Sanchez is automatically done. The absurdities you people come up with, already talking about replacing him this year, when we're still in 1st place. It's not over by a long shot and Sanchez isn't done. I just hope he gets whatever injury is plaguing him healed up. It's probably his neck again but they are keeping it under wraps.