To all you offensive line lovers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Smokeeater, Apr 30, 2006.

1. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Come on, 25-30 years ago????? Doesn't that tell you how uncommon that it is, that you have to go back to when the shotgun formation was coming into the NFL to find a team that did it????? And these were like 12 wins teams mind you. They weren't picking top 5 or 10.

2. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Then why

are all the experts giving Tangini an A+ for this draft. And we got our QB, Kellen Clemens!

3. californiajet

californiajet Member

You can argue it either way. Look at teams like the Chiefs. Outside of Gonzalez their receivers are far below average yet Trent Green consistently puts up pro bowl numbers because their oline mashes people in the run game (BLAYLOCK ran for over 200 yards behind them in one game) and Green is rarely touched giving his recievers loads of time to get open. Or look at Seattle, Alexander runs wild behind a superior line and Hasselback (a late round pick) is a pro bowler. I see Kellen Clemens as Green/Hasselback type if he can develop, and he will have that chance with a solid O line. If Brick/mangold can live up to the hype you might start to see playmakers where you didnt before (Jmac, Baker, etc).

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

How often do teams even have two 1st round picks in the first place? And even with that, how often do teams need two linemen badly enough to take two in the 1st round?
    Okay, so you want to ignore the Chiefs. Are you going to ignore the Rams example?

Also, and this is nitpicking, but the shotgun wasn't "coming into the NFL" in 1968. It had already been in.

5. Dbenzo3

Dbenzo3 New Member

Smokeeater, I ask you, please stop responing to this thread. There has been some good thoughts and infomation that have come from your original thread. None of them have come from you. Your points are all weak.

We needed an O-line and ge got two of the best prospects from this draft to fill that need. Play makers can't make plays if the O-line doesn't keep the QB off his butt or open holes for the running back.

6. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

And I'm going to go on a prognosticator limb here...

BEST QB from this draft will be - CUTLER

Why? Because Denver knows how to build a line that makes average skill positioners look like stars. If Shanihan stays in charge Cutler could end up looking better than Elway.

So let's see who winds up looking better; Vince Young - who may learn from the most banged up QB in McNair, Leinart - not sure what Arizona is doing these days. Or did the Jets do the right thing in getting their 2nd round QB a first round O-line?

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Bingo. The continued success of Denver, no matter who they plug in at QB or RB, tells you all you need to know about the importance of a good O-line.

8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Picking a center and a tackle, who both have the potential to step in right away and play well, at positions where you were paper thin is bad drafting? Please break down that logic for me.

9. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

O-Line was the Jets' biggest need this year and this was the deepest Oline draft in years. Why would they want to wait until next year to address the line?

10. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

When you were on prognosticator limb, did you use your crystal ball or tarot cards? Leinart has a great team around him. Taitusi Lutui and Leonard Pope were also drafted with him and both have great potential. Edgerrin James is a huge boost for this team that already has Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. With any luck he can easily be the rookie of the year. I think that the Jets did the right thing we will find out in three years.

#170 New York Mick, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We desperately needed Linemen. We could not even snap the ball from center last year and both our Qb's got knocked out. Superbowls are won from both sides of the line. If you have a good line the rest is interchangeable.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

When you talk about continued success what does that mean? Since Elway and TD left they are 1 & 4 in the playoffs over a 7 year span. They only won a SB when they had the single best RB in the league coupled with a HOF QB. Apparently you can't just plug in any one at QB or RB which is why Shanahan jumped up to get Cutler.

The lines are important but by themselves don't make you a complete team. You need good lines and great skill players to win big in the NFL.

#172 winstonbiggs, May 2, 2006
  13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Highly unlikely. Kurt Warner will start and he'll probably miss a few games due to injury again and Leinart might play (he might be 3rd string, in fact).

Dennis Green drafted Daunte Culpepper in the first round and he didn't throw one pass as a rookie.

Ben Roethlisberger was the only QB ever to be named offensive rookie of the year and the award's been given out since 1957.

14. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

You got me on that one. I take that back 1970 - Dennis Shaw - Buffalo Bills, they should just call it rookie running back of the year.

#174 New York Mick, May 2, 2006
  15. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Joey B said on the Fan that that the Jets tried to Trade back up to 9 to get Matt Lienart, which makes me feel better. This BS company line about the Oline is getting sicking. I diffently feel better knowing that the best they tried to get was more then a center threw 4 picks.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I was looking at the AP list. Either I overlooked that by mistake, which is bad. Or Shaw won the UPI or PFW award. I'll look it up later to see exactly what was the case.
    Greg Cook also had a good rookie season. Then he got severely injured and only threw a few passes after that.

17. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I looked up the list and there are a lot of different guys on them, depending at which one you look at. AFL had 3 QB rookies of the year and Namath was one in 65 and Cook was on there in 69. One list has Steve Bartkowski 1975.

18. baamf

baamf Active Member

Dan Marino was the 1983 Rookie of the Year...

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Yeah, I just saw that, too.
    In the NFL Record & Fact Book it only includes Roethlisberger. The book only lists AP awards.
    However, I have another NFL official encyclopedia which lists Shaw as the 1970 AP offensive rookie winner, whereas the Fact Book shows Duane Thomas won the ROY award. I don't get it.

Newspaper Enterprise selected Raymond Chester as the 1970 ROY.
    United Press and Sporting News chose Shaw as the 1970 AFC ROY.
    UP and SN chose Bruce Taylor as 1970 NFC ROY.
    Pro Football Weekly and Associated Press chose Shaw as the 1970 offensive ROY.
    PFW and AP chose Bruce Taylor as the 1970 defensive ROY.

20. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I think 1983 was Eric Dickerson. We are way of topic here, this thread was for the Jets oline and we are turning it into a rookie of the year thread, which one has already been started.

#180 New York Mick, May 2, 2006