To all you offensive line lovers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Smokeeater, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Sean_in_titletown

Two years ago, the Oakland Raiders had a nearly identical first round strategy. They took robert Gallery (every bit as hyped, if not more than D'Brick) and then took the best center in the draft (Jake Grove Va Tech). I guess the jury's still out there but I happen to think the decision to bypass Leinart will be a major regret not only for the Jets, but the 6 teams that passed on him. This certainly isn't heinsight from me. I was on this board on Friday afternoon writing that my worst fear as a Patriots fan was that the Jets would get Leinart. I'm just a bit surprised that Mangini took two offensive lineman in the first round given all the success that he, Pioli, and Belicchick had in NE with 2nd, 3rd and 4th round lineman. Hey, let's just all be glad that we're not Buffalo Bills fans this morning...

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Yeah but NEs O-Line and O-Line were NEVER as bad as the Jets' last season. It was a horrible situation. They couldn't afford to wait and build through the 2-4th rounds like NE did. I guess they could, but that would mean another 5 QBs next year.

#142 dabrowsk1, May 1, 2006
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  3. k311

k311 Member

talk about not understanding football at all, your (the original thread starter's) post is wrong in about 3000 ways:

1) If you thought the jets could draft any arrangement of players in the draft and end up in the super bowl this year, you're crazy.

2) How do you know that leinart is going to be a good NFL qb? He played mostly against crappy pac-10 defenses his entire college career with a superior tandem of receivers to throw to. He basically had the best situation a QB could ask for. Not to say that he will or won't be good, but it's no garauntee.

3) Even bollinger could have won a few more games last year if the oline wasn't so awful. it starts in the trenches.

im just going to stop here. if you want to say that our draft wasn't exciting for you because oline isnt exactly an easy position to get excited about, thats one thing, but if you're going to say we had a poor draft when in actuality we made great steps toward rebuilding this team, thats just plain ignorant.

4. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

After actually looking up the NE offensive line, the highest pick they ever spent on an O-Lineman, was Matt Light in the second round.

Now I feel sick...

I can live with Ferguson, and no, I did not want Leinart, but we really needed to pick someone that can SCORE SOME FUCKING POINTS. Clemems is not enough.

5. mainejetsfan

mainejetsfan New Member

Has anyone ever won with an O-line as pathetic as theirs was last year? No one is going to score points if the QB doesn't have time to throw and there are no holes for the RBs. Maybe going 1st round was too high, but if they form the core of a very good line for 10 years, I'll be more than happy. One could also recite the litany of 1st round can't miss RB's, QB's and WR's who never added up to anything. I think it's worth a shot.

6. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Loyal, we just have a lot of unproven guys right now. Who's to say Houston, Blaylock, Cotchery, Baker, or McCariens won't break out this year. And with the new o-line, the possibility for improvement goes up.

I think a huge thing would be if McCariens can be a legit #2 receiver or Baker gets more passes and ease the pressure off Coles.

Now let's see what Tiny Schott has in mind. Hopefully, he has an offense that makes sense for the players he has.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Logan Makins was picked in the first round last year by NE.

8. M00CHNESS

M00CHNESS Member

:)

Ok tough guy. In respose to your question, your right, I cant name a team that drafted O-line in the first round. But at the same time, who am I going to sit back and listen to....you complaining about it or 99.9% of sports analysts that give us A to A+ in our drafting? Almost every atricle I read on the draft says the Jets hd the best draft in the NFL as far as NEEDS. We needed a new line, after this season depending on how it goes I say our new "biggest" problems is replacing Abraham and getting some help for Coles. Its not oh who gets the biggest start, its who builds a better team.

Oh and by the way if people are all bitching and crying about drafting 2 O-line men in the frst round I dont hear anyone saying jack shit about drafting a kicker in the second round last year. All this fuss will die down in a few weeks.

#148 M00CHNESS, May 1, 2006
    Last edited: May 1, 2006
  9. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Dallas in the 90s had one of the best O-lines ever, that's how Emmit Smith ran for rushing titles and the fragile Troy Aikman stayed in the NFL as long as he did. Put Aikman behind Pennington's line and he's eating carefully with a spoon while wearing a hockey helmet. You have to be able to block if you ever want to run or pass.

All the Steve Serbys of the world who just want "next Michael Jordan" on a football team don't know anything about the game. It's easy to say when you're Serby and you'll still have your job no matter how it goes. He'd be the first guy writing about what a dissapointment Bush is when we don't make the Super Bowl with him. Richard Todd stuffed him in a locker 25 years ago and the guy still doesn't get it.

10. akibud

akibud Active Member

can't think of any... but there are over 40 teams (meaning 40 1st rnd QB)that drafted a QB in the 1st round that did not win the SB as well. just throwing that out there

11. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Not 2, but Jonathon Ogden played a huge role in the Ravens run.

12. vet

vet New Member

I love it when people have a crystal ball. NO ONE, REPEAT, NO ONE, will know about our draft for 3 years. I bet if you visited boards from other teams you would get the same variance of opinions for their drafts. We got people who performed well in college at every draft position, as did the drafts for every other team. How they will perform at the pro level is UNKNOWN.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Along with Mankins as winstonbiggs pointed out, the Patriots also recently used a 1 on Damien Woody and a 2 on Adrian Klemm.

14. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You ask for it and you shall receive.

Prior to what the Jets pulled off this weekend only two teams have ever drafted two offensive linemen in the first round. Guess what? In each case both lineman played in Super Bowls with those teams that drafted them!

Kansas City Chiefs, 1968
    Mo Moorman, Texas A&M, guard, 19th overall selection
    George Daney, UTEP, guard, 22nd overall selection

Moorman started in the Chiefs Super Bowl 4 victory.
    Daney was a backup to Moorman and Pro Bowler Ed Budde.

Los Angeles Rams, 1975
    Dennis Harrah, Miami, tackle, 11th overall selection
    Doug France, Ohio State, tackle, 20th overall selection

Harrah started at guard in Super Bowl 14 and was a six-time Pro Bowler.
    France started at tackle in Super Bowl 14 and was a two-time Pro Bowler.

15. Sean_in_titletown

True, but he wasn't part of any of the three super Bowl teams. The only Patriots lineman that started was Damien Woody. He was a high teens pick. He was hurt halfway through the second SB season and was replaced by Russ Hochstein (who was called out on PTI by Warren Sapp). Light was the highest pick (2nd round). I still feel the right pick should've been Leinart. He could've sat this entire season behind Ramsey or Chad. Just like Carson Palmer did in Cincinatti. Granted that doesn't do much for this season, but with a turnstile offensive line again next year, the Jets would've been able to fortify the line in next year's draft. Passing on a guy like Leinart is a major, major mistake. There is way too much time between the BCS championship and the draft. Teams get paralyzed by over analysis of workouts and neglect to emphasize in game performance. Leinart was VERY good at USC. Did anyone see him lead USC to that win over ND last fall. That was a classic all time college performance... The guy just has "it." It's difficult to describe or quantify,but you know it when you see it.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Since I don't think Leinart will be a great pro and you do we disagree very strongly on this. It really comes down to how much you like Leinart on whether or not you think they made a mistake or not.

17. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

I think he got it in his head that the OLINE is important now.

18. ANJI

ANJI New Member

English would be nice.:)

Picking a center and a Tackle in the first round is just bad drafting IMO.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Look at post 154 in this thread. The Chiefs drafted two guards in the 1st round. Guards!
    On the line, tackles are most important followed by centers and then guards.

20. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

Good find, I'll have to learn not to trust British magazines aswell as the newspapers now:eek:hmy: