TJ Out of Gas?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Feb 28, 2010.

?

Is TJ Out of Gas?

1. Yes, he's 32 and will continue to perform at the level he had in the playoffs.

71 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. No, he was only tired and can still produce as a top running back

46 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

+1

I'm not thrilled they're letting him go as well. The guy isn't looking for a contract extension (at least to my knowledge). He's just looking to get the money he earned on the last year of his contract in an uncapped year. I really don't see why we can't afford to roll out with 4 RB's.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I think Jones was playing hurt at the end of the year, remember he wasn't practicing and Greene took most of the carries as the playoffs went on until the Colts game when he hurt his ribs. Maybe the Jets bring TJ back at a lower price, like Brandon Moore last year, considering we have two other good RBs (we hope) and RBs over 32 or whatever are a risky investment, even in an uncapped year.

3. Italian Seafood

4. Italian Seafood

Love the avatar---Ashy Larry, haha classic. :up:

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've never been a huge fan of TJ as far as a premiere runningback goes, but this scenario is how I hope it plays out.

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I think this is a potentially DISASTROUS MOVE:

(1) TJ is not Sean Alexander. He works out and has pride. While I wouldn't sign him to a long-term deal at this age even with his conditioning, I think he can be an effective player for another 2-3 years. 1000-yard runner...maybe not 1,400 yards.

(2) Increased workload on Greene and Leon isn't good. Now they take more hits and their effectiveness will go down. Would Greene have been as fresh last year in the playoffs if he had taken the carries that TJ did the first half of the season ? I doubt it.

(3) Why are the Jets penny-pinching in an uncapped year? Capped, I could understand...but there's not gonna be a cap so why let TJ go over 1-2 MM ? Are they letting him go just so they can sign a UFA ?

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it. I'm confident Tanny won't allow another Pete Kendall situation to occur though.

8. Italian Seafood

I agree with you but keep in mind Curtis Martin's workout habits were legendary, he won the rushing title in 2004 and didn't make it halfway through 2005. You just never know, when you hit the wall you hit it. As recently as the end of this past season everyone was saying TJ is a "young 31" or whatever because he didn't get much action early in his career, but again you never know.

9. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

True, but Martin was a workhorse from the moment that he entered the NFL. Jones didn't get nearly as many carries early in his career.

I don't think that Jones is washed up, but I also don't think that we can pay a #2/#3 back what TJ was going to make. If he'd be amenable to coming back on a cheaper deal then I would absolutely welcome him back. That just seems highly unlikely at this point.

10. Italian Seafood

It depends on what else is offered to him. I don't know who else is going to pay him any more than the Jets would for the same reasons the Jets don't want to do it. He knows if he comes back here he'll probably be in for another 1,000 yard season, it's not impossible.

11. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Could this be a move to open up a spot because we have to loose players to sign free agents? I am confused by the final 8 rule that they put in place so I am just asking.

12. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

1) I think that he'll actually be one of the more sought after backs on the market. Sproles is gonna be incredibly expensive and there's little indication that he can be a true #1 back, and the other options (Westbrook, LT, etc.) all have way bigger question marks than Jones.

2) Even if no other teams offer more money than the Jets, someone will offer him more carries. Depending on how Washington bounces back he's either the Jets #2 or #3 option next season. You can bank on someone offering him at least a true platoon situation, if not a starting job.

13. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

The Jets have two younger and more explosive running backs. 32 year-old running backs don't perform, period. This is a no-brainer move.

14. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

Lets see who Tanny brings in to replace TJ. Then we'll see if it's a good move.