TJ Out of Gas?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Feb 28, 2010.

?

Is TJ Out of Gas?

1. Yes, he's 32 and will continue to perform at the level he had in the playoffs.

71 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. No, he was only tired and can still produce as a top running back

46 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Can someone please tell me what JAG stands for?

2. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

^ jag = just another guy

3. CatoTheElder

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This is hard because he was injured during the playoffs. He wasn't that good early in the season either (until we got Edwards). The best running game in the league got even better too with Greene in there. Honestly, with this line he could still play as a top back but he's only going to get worse and I think that he holds the running game back.

5. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

getting rid of TJ is a terrible idea. Having three top RBs on a running team like the JETS would make better sense. IMO Schotty's playcalling was just as much to blame for TJs lower production and Greene's emergence. Teams had more tape on TJ and game played to stop his running attack. Without adjusting the formations TJ was going to suffer against 8 in the box. When Greene went down, we were done.

With TJ, Greene , AND Washington we have more options with the ground game and play action. Thr guy earned his bonus. Pay it.

6. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

I am not really all for releasing TJ.. but he is not a top back anymore.. I mean you shouldn't have to switch up formations and "trick" the defense in order for a top back to play well.. and thats what happened with TJ.. hes getting old.. and a 300+ carry season is a HUGE load.. let alone 330..

so even though he didnt start his career getting a lot of carries and therefore was a fresher 30 yr old than other backs.. the Jets definitely made up for it in the past two seasons...

7. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

I'm not going to say that he's done, but if I would honestly rather have Shonn Greene as my #1 back going into next season. If that means he had to go, then so be it.

8. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

i believe that thomas jones is going to get released so the jets have more options at picking up a free agent in a position that is more of a need, due to the final 8 rules. if the jets were eliminated in the wild card round, i think tj would be brought back even with his roster bonus.

9. CatoTheElder

Thomas Jones does effect the Jets restrictions on picking up a free agent because he was released. According to the Final 8 Restrictions, players that are cut do not count as departing FAs.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

In a 3 back rotation like we are going to have signing TJ would have been the way to go.

11. CatoTheElder

Care to elaborate?

12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I doubt Greene will carry that much next year because Sanchez will throw more and Washington going to be spelled for Greene on some plays. Not the mention whoever else will be picked up as our 3rd RB will probably at least get some carrys.

13. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Solid back and he work very hard for us.

I wish him well!

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I'm with puck on this one.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Yeah, except Jones averaged 4.4. Which means in "theory", if we ran the ball all three downs, we always convert, right? At least according to Madden rules...

I've been very mum on this message board since post-season, but I gotta' say something for TJ. It was a stupid, stupid move, to let him go. He was beat up at the end of the season, I'm going to blame that for his level of production in the post-season, given his healthy track record.

I hate when people attribute TJ's performance to the O-Line... like he didn't run for nearly 1100 yards in the '07 season, with an abyzmul O-Line, and an offense that wasn't nearly as run heavy... right?

Now we're giving 250+ attempts to a back who was injured three times during the season last year? Who basically let TJ have a shitty last game as a Jet by not backing him up, when he got "injured" in the AFC Championship game?

Don't get me wrong, I love Greene's physical, knock you out of your cleats style of play. But now we're putting all of our eggs in a basket carried by two backs who have yet to prove themselves as feature backs, with past injury problems?

YIKES!!! Should've kept one of the most productive running backs over the pas five years, for 5mil.... in an uncapped year. Stupid move...

But, we're gonna give some more playing time to Gholston, right? Please... You've gotta be kidding me! Here's to hoping our offense becomes pass happy.... fast.

16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Code:
    The sky is falling!

17. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

With this O-line and the path this team is on right now, I figure he could help us for at least one more year.

Dude will be missed if we go into the season with just SG and LW.

18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Yes, he also averaged 3.6 per carry and 1 TD with that Oline. Its no supprise that he improved 1 YPC 12 TD's and 13 yards a game after we brought in Woody and Faneca.

Jones was always a good, not great back. He never fumbled and was very healthy up untill last year. The thing is, with NFL running backs of his age, when the wheels start to fall off, they fall off fast.

We have younger, faster, and one more powerful option. Green and Leon should spit about 15 carries a game each next year. We'll bring in a third back. This event is not as devestating as many would like it to seem for us.

19. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

I don't think anyone is arguing that Greene should start, but until a passing game emerges (and that means a legitimate WR and pass catching TE) we need that depth at RB. I think TJ is the best guy on the FA market, so why let him go only to pick up a lesser RB who has to ramp up on our playbook and repoire with Sanchez?

And has this even been announced from the JETS yet?

20. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I've always said that TJ's biggest upside was his ability to stay on the field and hold on to the ball. The bulk of his success was related to the O-line he played with. That being siad, he was a good, solid RB. Not great.