TJ Duckett Discussions. MERGED.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mavericknyc1980, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

I disagree completely. The guy that is fighting Duckett for no.2 on the depth chart for the falcons was a 3rd round pick, and a guy i wish we had on our roster now. I wish we could've gone in another direction then Schlegal, we wouldn't have to worry about trading a pick away now :sad:

And for those of you who think our 3rd is expendable b/c we have too 2nd round picks don't be so naive. Just because we have one more high draft pick doesn't mean that we have an extra pick to just throw away on anything. Those picks are the building blocks of our future and just because we have more then the average team it doesn't mean we can use our 3rd rounder in this situation.

Suggs was perfect because it didn't cost us a draft pick while still giving us a guy who has the potential to run like an average to above average back. I'm not saying Duckett couldn't be a workhorse power back for us, but the asking price is what kills the deal for me.

How about we wait until after the jets don't play a top tier defense before concluding we need more help. As I watched the TB Def limit our running game I couldn't help feel that if Curtis was in that position he would have done WORSE then they guys we currently have out there. Blaylock and Washington were making guys miss, but there's only so much you can do when you're hit behind the LOS. Houston def'n looked quicker to the whole and can fight for extra yards. Pass Protection needs help sure, but it'll be very difficult to get a back that can come in and immediately help in that category.

The success of our running game will be dictated more by the jelling of our oline and the strength of our opponent's defense then anything else. I hope the FO realizes this and just uses our players to there strengths. Don't use a draft pick on anyone unless you are sure they are the future. :up:

2. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

Rcky_Mtn_Falcon New Member

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Pittsburgh offered a 4th in this past draft and we turned it down. They want a power runner to replace Bettis, and Duckett would fit their power running style to a T.

They're back inquiring about Duckett as well, and I'm still not sure we let him go this year. If T.J. leaves all we have backing up Dunn is an unproven 3rd rounder. So if anyone wants Duckett they'll have to pay for him. He's a former 1st round pick, that's been a backup since he was drafted, so he's got experience in the league and fresh legs.

He's been very productive in Atlanta, even though he doesn't really fit our one cut scheme, he's played a big part in our leading the league in rushing the last 2 years. Even with a down 2nd half last year.

What no one on here has mentioned is when T.J. has been given his carries everyone in the stadium knows he's getting the ball, so defenses stack 8 in the box. Our coordinator hasn't been the most creative when it comes to utilizing him.

Duckett is going to be an excellent starting RB in this league. The question right now is where. He'll be a FA at the end of this season, so someone is going to end up with an extremely talented back entering the prime of his career.

For what it's worth, I'm not even sure I'd trade him this year. It's a contract year, and he's come into camp with a chip on his shoulder. He could be a very important piece in getting us deep in the playoffs.

#62 Rcky_Mtn_Falcon, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Totally off the subject, but I watched the falcons vs pats preseason the other day and was very impressed by the falcons backup QB's. I'm not even talking about Schwab. The 3rd and 4th string guys both had very impressive showings IMO. What do you think about these guys?

4. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

Rcky_Mtn_Falcon New Member

We were very impressed as well, there's even been talk on our boards about trading Schaub now and keeping Randle and Shockley as the 2 and 3. That won't happen, but Schaub is a RFA at the end of this season, and we will probably trade him. Just have to hope one of these guys can stay on our PS through this year, and then we'll have our # 2 & 3 QB's in place for next year.

Between the 2 I think Shockley is our # 3 this year. He's out of the University of Georgia, and if he gets cut, there might be a fan revolt. A lot of Falcon fans are UGA fans as well, which is why you heard all that barking in the 4th qtr.

Randle made it through one year on the PS, and we'll probably try and stash him there one more year.

#64 Rcky_Mtn_Falcon, Aug 17, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  5. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

No, absolutely not, any trade for Duckett would be a horrible one. I can't imagine why anyone would want to deal a 3rd round pick for a glorified goal line runner, I'd much rather keep the pick and spend it on a player that is young and has some sort of potential. Duckett is a mediocre player, I don't, nor did I ever see in him a tremendous amount of potential. I think that Giants' RB Brandon Jacobs even has a higher ceiling than Duckett does because of the difference in speed between the two. Pass on Duckett, for any pick, for any player minus a potential cut.

6. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Falcons | Duckett for McCareins deal?
    Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:42:41 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports at least four teams have called the Atlanta Falcons seeking to trade for RB T.J. Duckett, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The two sources confirmed that the New York Jets have contacted the Falcons, with recently demoted WR Justin McCareins possibly being involved in the potential trade. The Falcons are looking for a No. 3 wide receiver, but have not confirmed any trade talks.

Definitely do this.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

McCareins is Garbage right now and Still:
    McCareins>Duckett!!!

Say no to Duckett!!