Tipped passes at the line occur because...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

:lol: at fact of football.

How is somebody as good as JJ Watt reading Sanchez's eyes, Mark's fault? Tipped balls happen because of great defensive plays. Would you prefer that Mark didn't look at the receiver he's throwing to? Do you forget that the Texans have one of the best defenses in the league? If nobody else is open, and pressure is heavy, what else do you expect Sanchez to do? Magically look off all 3 receivers and then go checkdown to Greene? If he doesn't have the time to do it, he's going to throw to the first option. JJ Watt already has 8 batted down balls this year. The guy is a beast. It's just hilarious how the Jets are ALWAYS at fault for everything that ever happens. It's never a great defensive play, it's always "the jets suck". Get over yourself, you're not special and your view is narrow minded.

2. Barcs

Barcs Banned

According to the OP, Drew Brees must be incompetent. He's had 5+ deflected at the line this year. I guess Brees is a terrible QB, since the OP posted a clear fact of football. The Saints must be looking at how to replace him via the draft next year! :rofl:

#82 Barcs, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Spot on. It's not a one man did everything right (Watt) or one man did everything wrong (Sanchez) it's a combination of things. The Oline didn't do their job, the QB didn't do his job, I don't think you could really blame the receiver but maybe some of it falls on their shoulder for not extending their route beyond Watt (that's stretching it, just saying maybe they share some blame). You could even blame the offensive coaching for not accounting for Watt and adjusting the play calling accordingly.

On the defensive side they did a good enough job putting pressure on Sanchez and letting Watt hang back a bit for the sole purpose of batting down the pass, if they don't do that Sanchez has far more time and can just throw elsewhere or wait for the receiver to run out of Watt's wheelhouse and Watt made a good individual effort as well, obviously.

The blame gets split among everyone and the praise goes to more than just Watt as well. Tipped passes happen in every game, the Texans just seemed to be extremely lucky and had the tipped passes land right in the lap of a defender. If the pass tips the other way then it's just an incomplete or if we were really lucky it would tip towards a Jets player and we get a reception if not a TD out of it.

Doesn't mean it's acceptible but it's not like Watt was just standing there doing nothing, that Sanchez had all of the time in the world in the pocket, that his receivers all had massive seperation and ran their routes to perfection and he threw it right into the defender's helmet/hands while he was just standing in a daze.

4. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

5, Out of how many attempts? What percentage is That?

Also

How tall is Drew compared to Mark?

5. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

Because sanchez cant grasp the whole idea behind passing lanes and know when to release the ball

6. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

and the whole Drew Brees thing, ill let it slide if Sanchez win a sb and breaks records every year

7. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

Plenty of Eli Mannings balls have been tipped at the line too, and many of them for INT's. D-lineman just happen to be taller than your average QB. Some of these guys are like 6-6 or 6-7 with huge reach, it can be very difficult to throw over them without risking a tip in todays game.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Who cares? You said that it is a sign of incompetence. Height and attempts shouldn't matter. I demonstrated that it's not just one man that makes the play happen AND that elite QBs have batted down balls as well. Basically your OP was nothing more than conjecture, worthy of a fantasy novel, yet you call it a fact of football!

#88 Barcs, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. cobrien

cobrien Member

I've said this before....

On this very board before the start of last season, I really think Sanchez is narrowing in on an NFL record for most tipped/deflected passes thrown by an NFL QB....would love an NFL fact checker to gather data on this.

Plain and simple the guy has ZERO pocket awareness ZERO accuracy, he consistently under or over throws on practically every screen/short pass over the middle and overthrows or shanks most shots down the field. I will say he is slightly better at the latter and does have a strong arm to his credit, but thats it.

10. masivemunkey

masivemunkey Member

You guys are crazy if you think the tipped passes are Sanchez's fault. Every quarterback passes over the DL players, it's why having a high release is important, but no matter how tall you are your pass can get tipped. That's why the OL needs to engage the linemen and keep them occupied.

Yesterday happened because our OL wasn't doing a good job keeping the linemen busy and JJ Watt being so damn good at swatting passes. Re watch the tipped passes before you solely blame Sanchez.

11. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

So the almighty JJ Watt had how many tips tonight against a REAL QB ?

I think 1

Point supported....

12. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

They said on the broadcast that the texans D-Line has a tipped passed rate(against NFL QBs including Mark Sanchez) of 8.9% whereas the league average is 2.5%

If you're hitting down almost 10% of pass atempts, I would put it more on good defensive awareness and seizing opportunity than outright mistakes on the QB's part.

13. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

He was tipped more than once - at least twice that I saw and I was in and out.

14. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

He was tipped twice and one that went straight into the air and nobody could find it and catch it. And yeah ESPN showed HOU tips greater than 8% of passes thrown and the league average is 2-3.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

So your saying Sanchez is no Aaron Rodgers? Wow great point! You sir, are a fucking football genius. How you are not working in the NFL with such rare and insightful views is a shame.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic towards your post. It happens when you post stupid things and try to act smart. It's just a fact of message boards.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So Sanchez had one more tipped pass than Rodgers? POINT SUPPORTED BITCHES!

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This has to be one of the worst threads I have ever seen on here.

18. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Bump for people who don't know football.

Watch the Texans eat up ANY NFL QB with tipped passes, not just Mark Sanchez.

Joe Flacco is the current Victim.

The awarness and ability of their D to seize the opportunity to knock down balls is unbelievable.

19. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Not worth wasting your time. Haters gon' hate, ya know?

20. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

You don't punch the D-line player in the stomach when he jumps.