Tim Tebow Landing Spot: One Answer

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by Br4d, Apr 10, 2013.

1. SF MoneyBags

SF MoneyBags Member

In addition to salary, I believe the Jets will have to pay the Broncos a $1.5 million salary proration if Tim remains on the roster.

2. SF MoneyBags

SF MoneyBags Member

My mistake, they pay the Broncos $1.5 million either way. It would just be wasted if they release Tim. Maybe that's a reason to keep him around...?

3. Concerned_Citizen

Concerned_Citizen New Member

I didn't think hanging on to him during the draft had much to do with financial reasons. If there was an extra cap hit, it probably would have hit already in March. ...or maybe something extra if he's still on the roster when the regular season hits. (The Broncos did something similar last year with Caleb Hanie when they cut him for a couple days around preseason or beginning of reg season, which saved them about half a million.)

Check this out.... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/caleb-hanie-on-his-way-back-to-broncos/

The reason why Hanie was dropped and then re-signed has nothing to do with the quarterback spot. There wasn’t much about Sunday night that would have made the Broncos feeling the need to add a quarterback. The Broncos had to guarantee him his full salary and they don’t have to do it by signing him on Monday, making Hanie what Fox called a “procedural cut.”

I don't know all the details of Tebow's contract, but there are contracts that have cap hits and guarantees when the season starts too. So if it is ALL about salary, technically the Jets don't have to do a thing about Tebow on the roster until the end of pre-season. Hurts nothing keeping him until then... at least, financially. Not sure what it will do as far as distractions, etc.

There is merit to the idea that the Jets are keeping their options open until they really know what they are going to do with the QB position. Rumor had it a couple weeks ago that they were even shopping Sanchez around. I doubt a trade will happen, but it does appear they aren't 100% certain in what they plan to do at QB. Tebow very well could be in consideration for competing for the starting job. So it makes sense that they haven't cut him yet.

Or you can believe the conspiracy theorists that think the Jets are deliberately waiting until after the draft to make sure there aren't any spots left for him to go to. After all, the whole world is out to get Timmy.

#103 Concerned_Citizen, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Judging by how the draft went, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tebow is not only on the roster Opening Day, but running the WC as well. This team doesn't have a fckn clue what to do about anything other than take really bad advice.

5. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I'm confused by this as well. Maybe it will make sense if they cut Sanchez. If Sanchez couldn't deal with Tebow behind him, how is he going to deal with a pressure from guy his own team drafted in the 2nd round? He has two rabid dogs on his heels in Tebow and Geno.

6. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Well, it's only Geno now. :grin:

And Geno doesn't have a huge idiotic college fan base trailing behind him forcing team management into bad decisions and a trouble-making media creating a QB controversy where none should exist for the sake of ratings.

I think that Sanchez will be able to cope with the "challenge" of Geno just fine...

7. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

I can only assume you NEVER, EVER watched a Purdue game. They NEVER ran the option. EVER. Absolute Bullshit.

8. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Good call. DOH!