Tight Ends

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by barfolomew, Dec 15, 2018.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

saw what you did there...

[​IMG]

K'OB likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I may be dreaming but I would love to see the Jets target Jesse James from the Steelers. Good blocking TE and can catch a little. Would be a nice combo with Herndon. TE would be set for years.....if Leggett shows nothing in TC next year get rid of him......

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not quite ready to completely dismiss Legget, he showed some flashes this year but TE calls particularly tandem TEs were under utilized with this regime. Don't see nor do I recommend a first on any TE when we have massive needs else where. OL, pass rusher, stud RB and stud WR.
    At the risk of getting flamed, one area IMO that is weaker that we give credit to is at CB. TJ has massively under achieved and Clairbone tends to falter a crucial times. New GM has his work cut out for him

K'OB likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

One of the off season priorities is finding a #2 CB. Claiborne is a FA and can be improved upon. So can Skrine.....Johnson I think is solid for now I think that injury contributed to most of his problems this year......

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Tomlinson is a really poor man's version of Anthony Becht

6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

That's an interesting way to put it. I think that Tomlinson, might actually be more of a passing threat than Becht but I just haven't been impressed with Tomlinson's blocking.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Obviously keep Herndon, Leggett is under contract 2 more seasons and has started showing up, let Sterling and Tomlinson walk in free agency and sign Jared Cook.

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This would be a really nice scenario.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I prefer Jesse James.

10. TonyFtLaud

I like James too, posted about him in an earlier post, but don't think he is as good as Cook, although he is a little younger.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A "little" younger? LOL Cook is 32 and James is 25. That's like saying that Twiggy is a little less endowed than Raquel Welch.

12. TonyFtLaud

I think they are 31 and 24 yet Cooks production this year on one of the worst teams in the league nearly equals James production over his 4 years .

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spotrac has them at 32 and 25. I just googled them. Cook is 31, but will be 32 next season, and James is 24, but will be 25 next season.

I think it will depend on what the Jets want, a starting-calber TE or a backup. I would think that they're hoping that Herndon will be ready to start next season, so they may only want a backup level TE who's a really good blocker. If so, then they'd want James over Cook, but if they have doubts about Herndon, then they might want to sign Cook as the starter and keep Herndon and Leggett as the backups.

14. TonyFtLaud

The 2 TE set is a staple of most NFL offenses. My thought process was it would be nice to have a reliable upper tier TE for Darnold and for Herndon to continue developing alongside. In 2 years hopefully Herndon becomes that guy and we look at Leggett or a draftee.

NCJetsfan likes this.