"Tier up" the QBs of the NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Mexican Buc, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

It's the offseason, so that means it's time for those "Top 10 [position] in the NFL" threads. However, I thought maybe we try a something a little different this year. Instead of a very subjective numerical ranking scheme, we'd break it up into "Tiers". Feel free to duplicate my layout or make up your own.

Top Tier:
    Peyton Manning and Tom Brady

I was going to call this 1st tier, but that wouldn't be fair to other QBs that are also top quality. Yet it wouldn't be fair to these two to put anyone elses name in their tier. These two have battled for the #1 spot for years, going back and forth, and honestly, both have a great case. Brady's injury this year has taken him out of the media and our minds for a season, but it doesn't erase his years past, and until he comes back and shows me he's "fallen off the horse" I cannot take it upon myself to assume he has and bump him down.

1st Teir
    Leading: Drew Brees
    Body: Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Matt Hasselbeck
    Newcomer: Ben Roethlisberger

If Brady does fall off the horse, Brees is first in line to become the number one contender. Warner needs no explination. Rivers really came into his own in 2007 and solidified himself this year with over 4000 yards passing and a the best TD:INT ratio in the league. Eli has become his offense center piece and superstar, showing that with him the Giants can surive anyone that they can survive the gain and loss of anyone (Shockey, Tiki, Plax, etc). McNabb was quickly falling out of favor and quickly shut up his critics he has been the core of a pass happy offense for years (though many argue it should shift to Westbrook). Palmer got hurt and all of Cincy fell even more off the horse than they already were. However, he was the leading QB in this group for awhile, and he should come back strong, similar with Hasselbeck. Big Ben just tip toed in here with his Superbowl performance. I can no longer hold his "ideal situation" in Pitt against him, it's not his fault he lucked out. More is put on him year after and year and lives up to it.

2nd Tier

Leading: Brett Favre
    Body: Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Chad Pennington, Tony Romo, Marc Bulger
    Newcomer: Matt Ryan/Matt Cassel

Had Favre stayed in GB he'd be leading 1st tier, however the change of team and missing camp, etc, is too much for Favre to overcome. Dispite a bad ending, Favre is one of those players that single handedly puts you in (and can take you out) of any playoff hunt. Cutler and Rodgers had great statiscal season and look to be centerpieces for their teams. Pennington (Mia/NYJ), Romo, and Bulger have all been given their teams spotlight, however their teams have yet to get a return for it in the playoffs. The Matts burst into the scene this year and gave life to two teams declared DOA early in the season. However, they will have to repeat their performances before anything more can be said.

3rd Tier

Leading: Jeff Garcia/Jake Delhomme
    Body: David Garrad, Jason Campell, Matt Schuab, Kerry Collins, Derek Anderson
    Newcomer: Joe Flacco

Jeff has been labeled one of the most underrated and disrespected QBs in the league after getting two different teams into the playoffs in two years, however, he can't offer any team a future. Delhomme has yet to return to his 04/05 form, and it's hard to say if he will in 09. Campell, Schuab, and Garrad have earned the affection of their teams and have shown they were the right guy to choose over the QB they ran out of town. Collins managed a great season, but that's all. Anderson is proof of why one should not jump on "Cassel" looking wagons, one year doesn't make a QB. Who knows how his career goes from this point. Flacco took his team to the playoffs as a rookie, which is great, but by veteran standards he had a mediocre season, which gets him a mediocre placement with the other playoff vets.

4th Tier

Leading: Trent Edwards
    Body: Kyle Orton, JaMarcus Russell, Gus Frerotte, Tanard Jackson
    Newcomer: Tyler Thigpen

Edwards led the Bills to a great opening season, however, much is still left to be desired. Orton looked like he finally stepped on the neck of Grossman and ended that battle. Russell is still struggling to come into his own, same with Jackson. Frerotte manages well, but won't win you many games. Newcomer Tyler Thigpen did a lot for himself this year, people actually know his name. None of these QBs have much job security, however, if given another chance next season some stand a chance of showing they can lead an offense.

So those are my Tiers. I don't think I left anyone really out, but I wouldn't be surprised if a name slipped my mind.

2. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I think your list is pretty damn good

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

switch Cassel and Flacco IMO... its a great list.

4. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

Get Pennington off the 2nd tier please. Might Flacco be above Bulger now or is it wait and see?

Otherwise good list, and GREAT avatar!

5. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Jay Cutler is on that 1st tier for me.

6. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

very good, but do you mean Tarvaris Jackson of the Vikings? Tanard Jackson is a safety for the buccaneers. I also agree that Flacco belongs in the seconod tier.

7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Tier 1
    1) Manning
    2) Brady
    3) Big Ben
    4) Brees
    5) Rivers
    6) Warner

Tier 2
    7) Cutler
    8) Eli
    9 Mcnabb
    10) Romo

Tier 3
    11) Hasselbeck
    12) Rodgers
    13) Garrard
    14) Schuab
    15) Garcia
    16) Delhomme- Consistently average
    17) Cassel- Drastically overrated. Played one good defense this year and got destroyed.
    18) Bulger

Tier 3
    19) Kerry Collins- Needs perfect protection to be a good qb.
    20) Jason Campbell- blah
    21) Trent Edwards
    22) Derek Anderson- blah

Favre is retiring so he doesn't count.

Pennington if healthy can win plenty of regular season games against bad defenses. He's average at best.

Carson Palmer has looked horrible since his injury. It's too bad since he would have been a top 5 qb for a decade.

8. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Derek Anderson isn't a starter. Wrong. Marc Bulger is not 2nd tier. Wrong. Favre doesn't even belong on this list. Wrong.

Carson Palmer cannot be considered so high since his injury and Chad Pennington is 3rd tier, just about average. Look out for Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub to jump up another tier next season for sure.

Good effort, entertaining read.

#8 sanchizeqb, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  9. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Great list. Marc Bulger is a really good quarterback; probably the most underrated in the league. I don't agree with Eli or Roethlisburger being first tier, and I think it's too early to put Rivers up there quite yet.

Best = Manning & Brady

Tier 1
    Brees
    Warner
    McNabb
    Romo
    Hasselbeck
    Palmer

Tier 2
    Bulger - I think he has to prove he still 'has it' to make tier 1 again.
    Rodgers - With more time, I think he's a very strong contestant for tier 1.
    Big Ben
    Eli
    Rivers
    Cutler
    Pennington

Tier 3
    Garrard
    Thigpen
    Cassel
    Ryan
    Campbell
    Flacco
    Schaub

Tier 4
    Collins
    Delhomme
    Frerotte
    Edwards
    Orton
    Derek Anderson

I think Favre and Garcia are too old to judge fairly. When they're healthy, probably both 2nd tier-ish.

#9 GBA, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  10. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Wrong.

(filler)

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

You can make a convincing argument why everyone belongs where they are on your list except these guys.

Facts are Facts, Carson Palmer got injured, and since then either hasnt been able to get healthy, or has been garbage. So until he can get healthy again, he doesnt belong that high.

Matt Hasselback, is in the same boat, a few years back he was a great quarterback, he made all the plays he needed to make, but now that time is gone, he hasnt done that consistently in 2 years, and is running out of time to prove he can get it back.

Big Ben, i'm sorry but he just isnt allowed to be that low anymore. He has done more faster, than any quarterback in NFL history, except for Tom Brady. Also look at his OL, how many of us said that down the stretch his OL would be his undoing? How they couldnt block well enough for him? Well guess what, we were right, they couldnt block, and yet holy shit the son of a bitch ran circles around everybody until he finds an open reciever. Whether you believe that the refs gave the Steelers their last two rings, or not, Ben has two rings and is in a position with the core of that defense, to do oh so many more things before his career is over. Many have already started calling him a Future HOFer and he only just completed his 5th season. Tier 1 it is, or even in the "best" catergory. You just cant deny it any more.

12. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

^ I didn't really have them in order, just by tier. I edited it to make it to represent my opinion a little better. I don't see a point in dropping Hasselbeck and Palmer to tier 2. They have the ability to be tier 1 and I don't think their injuries will change that.. they just play for crappy teams.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Rothlisberger cannot be tier 2... the guy is that talented... please acknowledge it.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Top Tier
    Brady, Manning, Rothlisberger

1st Tier
    Warner, McNabb, Brees, Palmer

2nd Tier
    Cutler, Rivers, Rodgers, Romo, E. Manning, Favre, Ryan

3rd Tier
    Pennington, Bulger, Hasselbeck, Garcia, Delhomme, Flacco, Collins

4th Tier
    Garrad, Campell, Schuab, Anderson, Edwards, Thigpen, Cassel

JAGS - the rest

15. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

I´m surprised, that there isn´t more love for Schaub, he´s a pretty good QB, he belongs to the 2nd Tier QBs, imo.

Bulger is done.

And Flacco and Collins gotta show me, that they can win Games, when their Defense and/or Runninggame struggles before I put them in 2nd or 3rd Tir.

#15 German Jets Fan, Feb 11, 2009
  16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I don't think Bulger should be that high and I think Rodgers should be in 1st in the newcomer section. But hey everybody has their own opinions. Great list Buc.

I 100% agree any I think others will as well HOWEVER he can not stay healthy so to put him in 2nd is a little unfair. *shrug*

#16 NYJalltheway, Feb 11, 2009
  17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Overall that's a great list. Anybody can find one or two that might be changed but in its entirety it's great.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tier 1 (The Best QB in the Game) - Peyton Manning

Tier 2 (The Superstars who are not the Best) - Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers

Tier 3 (The Consistently Good) - Drew Brees, Donovan McNabb, Tony Romo

That's all the Star level QB's in the NFL right now. Tom Brady will go in one of those tiers if he comes back strong but I have my doubts. Right now he's a zero.

Tier 4 (The Up and Comers who will join the first 3 tiers if they stay good) - Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassell

Tier 5 (Yesterday's News) - Kurt Warner, Carson Palmer, Chad Pennington, Jeff Garcia, Jake Delhomme, Marc Bulger

Tier 6 (the Trent Dilfer Memorial List) - Everybody else.

19. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That last list is a joke.

20. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Anyone who has Carson Palmer over Cutler, Rivers or Romo hasn't watched the NFL for a few years.