Throwback uniform hint?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Apr 25, 2020.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Speaking of 80s helmets, my coffee nook in my Studio:

[​IMG]

I got that mug for Christmas when I was 14. Before it made it out here, I asked the old man where the box was. "I threw it out. I didn't think you needed it." :/ Here's the garbage can in my Studio. This is where all Jets seasons and bad drawings go to die:

[​IMG]

I got that for Christmas one year, too. There were Charles Chips in it originally, haha. Something about eating potato chips out of a garbage can and then using your favorite team as a garbage can when it's empty is very funny to me. Anyway, AT LEAST JOE DOUGLAS HAD THE COURTESY TO USE SOMETHING WITH THE JETS ON IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

What I find mildly disturbing about this whole logo idea of yours is that Adam Gase wore a hat BOTH NIGHTS WITH NO JETS LOGO ON IT AT ALL. IT WAS BLANK. I mentioned it in the Draft Thread. What, is he afraid to be embarrassed in public by being associated with the team? What the hell was that? Thoughts?

I'm gonna use this opportunity to quote myself just to annoy @FJF :

2020 NFL Draft - Rounds 2&3 Discussions

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

It was the final years of that logo you’re probably remembering. Yes the Coslet-Kotite years left a bad taste in everybody’s mouth. But that logo (1978-97) would go very well with today’s color and design. A lot of good years in the 80’s too....

alleycat9, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets had that logo when I started following them but I don't recall the year. Had 2b late 70's, early 80's maybe? I remember Richard Todd and being upset when we took Kenny over Marino. And happy when we beat the drugged up Lyle Alzado. I remember loving the sack exchange and watching in horror when Gastineau was flagged for a late hit on Kosar. I remember when the Jets went 5-0 in preseason, and being upset when a sports guy said we wouldn't win another game that season. He was right. I remember drafting Keyshawn #1, Kotite, all that. I remember Parcelles coming in and totally changing the culture, including dumping the JETS logo for the one Namath wore. Those are some of my earliest memories...maybe 3 or 4 seasons b4 O'brien... it's all a blur!

Back then there was no internet of course. Never knew if the Jets would be on TV until Sunday morning when the paper came. It was either the Jets or Bills, usually the Bills. I remember hugging my AM transistor radio listening to games through static. I remember being upset when we played a night game and there was nothing in the paper the next day....had to wait two whole days to read about the game!

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Nice summary of what being a Jets fan for a long time is like!

mrjet80, NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Lots of beer and hair pulling too. Oh and it was the life of a loner. I knew KNOWONE, not one single friend, family, coworker, anybody who watched the Jets. I was a man on an island much of this time.

rohirrim665 and mrjet80 like this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes it’s funny thinking back into my childhood. I spent a lot of years out of NY area. If the game wasn’t on TV you were out of luck. I can remember scouring newspapers during training camp looking for small blogs - any bit of information possible.

But that logo we discussed was introduced in 1978......I guess they figured Namath was gone and they wanted to start fresh. The courts had also given the Jets a major victory over the Mets that offseason allowing them to play games at Shea in September so more first four games on the road stuff. I also think they changed the helmet to green because every other team in the division wore white helmets - they may of thought the dark helmets would help Todd cut down on his INTs lol ( didn’t work ) .....

#26 mrjet80, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    alleycat9 and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Scouring the papers for any tidbit hit home....years of that back in the day!

8. Footballgod214

I liked the green on black

[​IMG]

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I fell in love with the Jets during the days of the old logo. Lots of great memories, mostly bad memories but lots of good ones too.

That logo is butt ugly though, my god I can’t believe there is so much whining about that ugly ass logo. The uniforms today which I really like and the logo today which I don’t love are both much nicer than the 80s logo and uniforms.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possible disagree more. There was nothing ugly about those uniforms or logo. This green on black shit is what is butt ugly.

alleycat9 likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Great! Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

12. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

not a fan of the green and black uniforms either. they dont really have enough contrast to really tell the difference. its just a muddle.

i remember when they went to the black outline on the jets log and black facemask, i was beyond happy as a i thought the 2 color uni was a bit drab. but they changed the shade of green iirc as well. and the black didnt do too well in the standings. i ended up really having a greater respect for the kelly green and white unis of the 80s when they were gone. and absolutely loved and still do the logo.

i liked the throwback unis parcells brought in but felt they were just old and tired by the time they decided to change them, it was what 20 years? 21 maybe? the jets dont have a classic uni so change is fine with me.

the new uniforms are ok. i like the helmet color, the logo is beyond underwhelming and the uni combos are wack, the chest stripes that look like jet wings are the dumbest thing ive ever seen on a jet uni and they really need to go sooner or later. i would never buy a jersey with that dumb shit on it. not that i would buy a jersey anyway, just definitely not that mess.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I doubt the NFL will change it’s one helmet rule even though I’ve heard rumors saying otherwise. I believe they do it for concussion research.

They could rock a throwback uniform with this helmet and a swapped out decal though, it would look slightly different with the new helmet but I bet it would work pretty well.

14. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Totally disagree, we did have a classic uniform! The ones we brought back in 98 under Parcells were a very classic look and we basically had the same uniforms as the Baltimore/Indy Colts except for Green and that is as classic as you can get. That is the one thing this franchise had going for them was classic uniforms and they ditched them for some XFL looking trash. Despite our generally dismal history of losing, the Jets do have a rich history and some tradition dating back to the Super Bowl 3 era, and we should honor that, and most importantly those are the uniforms that look the best. The small sliver of credibility those uniforms gave us went out the door with this amateur hour bullshit that we wear now. I know it's all a matter of opinion but I'm not sure how anyone could possibly like what we have now over these ..... [​IMG]

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Huh?

16. steets101

steets101 New Member

NIKE's mo is to create as many jerseys as possible. As we've seen the last couple years, more and more teams will change their primary jerseys, and more teams will have throwbacks/third jerseys. Makes too much sense financially.

17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'd like to see those jerseys with green pants.

18. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

We went full "Green Lantern"... and I liked it.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

20. Footballgod214

I just noticed the jets/giants are both wearing the same shape helmets (with that cut out in the back) but with the jets the shape looks cooler!