Thoughts From Tonight's Patriots Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Wondering if the shot Geno took in the first quarter had an effect on how he played in the 4th quarter. Just thinking here.

2. Angel

Angel Member

Geno lost the game, he was Awful!!!

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

receivers are dropping passes all night eventually if will get worse and then INT's will be thrown

the entire offense except the RB's were awful

4. Jet Pac

Jet Pac New Member

Definitely agree. But I'd much rather have him take the sack than force an INT. (Which I understand he also did at the end of the game)

5. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

On Sunday we saw him dancing around in the pocket really well, buying himself time until a receiver got open and making good decisions and throws to pick up 1st downs when it happened. Maybe he got a little overconfident based on that last night and didn't listen to his instincts about when to get rid of it. Maybe something else who knows it's the guy's 2nd game; anybody's guess. Would've been great to get the win but we didn't. Most important thing now is to see how Geno and the rest of the team/coaches learn from this and progress; or lack thereof.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I actually thought our receivers were getting pretty good separation. He was just late and held the ball too long. I have no problem with it right now, he's a rookie, but if we're that close again next time against the Patriots and we don't seal it, I'm going to be pissed. He had Hill a couple of times and one time in the endzone where he didn't get through his reads quick enough. I thought Hill and Holmes were getting open pretty consistently. Geno just has to get through his reads quicker. It will come with time.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

On the Gates non-catch, he clearly lost possession as the ball hit the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edelman's fumble/incomplete catch was borderline. I was honestly expecting it to be upheld, but it could have gone either way. Kembrell Thomkins' almost TD was another play where I thought it was borderline but close enough for the TD to be upheld.

On Hill's catch his knee definitely came down on the ground, not the defender. They absolutely got that call correct.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't notice the block in the back, but I'll take your word for it.

Thomkins probably wouldn't have caught the ball on that PI call, but it wasn't thrown so far away as to have been ridiculous. IMO that gets called more often than not.

If Holmes was pushed, it certainly wasn't with much force at all. You didn't see either one of their bodies move as though there was a push happening. All you saw was the defenders arm extend slightly as Holmes moved away to try to create separation. Cromartie got away with at least one very noticeable jersey grab, so I don't think the Jets have any right to complain about that non-call.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

The interception while in FG range hurt us the most. That was a combo of Geno making a poor throw and MM playing too aggressively in poor weather. Drops in a downpour are going to happen. They should have just ran the ball and kicked the FG. It would have sent the game into OT most likely.

9. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Geno hadn't thrown a pick yet in 2 weeks and we kick the FG to tie there if the throw doesn't work 9 times out of 10 in his mind. I can't fault that playcall.

10. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

I thought there plenty were opportunities for Geno to take off and run for open grass, including on the play where Gates dropped the TD pass.

NE secondary and linebackers were busy trying to blanket our WRs down the field.

On the one play where he did run, he gained like 15 yards and a 1st down.

11. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

One word, "Hopeful".

Geno looked like a real QB playing his 2nd NFL game on the road, in the rain and with a supporting cast of no one. I was very pleased with his play.

Unlike out new CB, that played like sh!t. But on the other hand, Walls and the rest of the defence played well.

And Hill is a bust, you can tell in the look in his eyes that he knows it too.

and I still hate our new jerseys....

#271 rico college, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  12. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

gopats88 I cant quote your post for some reason, but please show me where the ball hits the ground in those screenshots. There is not one point where in those pictures it conclusively shows the ball coming out and laying on the ground. Yes the ball disappeared but you cannot see the ball on the ground and you cannot see Gates right arm or Mayos left arm. If you cannot see the ball touch the ground its not conclusive. I should add that this is based upon this angle. I hear that there was a better one that showed the ball hit the ground but NFL Network never showed it.

I do agree on the challege his elbow hit the ground before he made a first down.

The Edelman play looked like incomplete live but when you watched it in slow motion he took two steps and had the ball in his hand before it was knocked out.

No excuses because this is not the reason at all that they lost the game but that was 3 challenged plays that went against the Jets. Watch a typical NFL game and the incomplete play is not overturned and the TD would stand as inconclusive evidence.

But to say that the Jets have no right to complain about the calls is crap. This isnt based upon the correctness of the call but based upon the evidence that was there for the plays and the typical pattern of challenges.

I do repeat that this was not why the Jets lost but it obviously effects the game.

#272 SienaSaints, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  13. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

The first frame of the screenshots above the ball is touching the ground, and he shifts his hands on it, as shown in the second screenshot above, that is incomplete.
    Edelman was a closer play, but has to do with the rule changes. He gets both feet down, but does not make a football move (ie. tuck the ball away, make a cut etc.) and the new rules require that he do so for a completion.

14. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

On the play the ball is still in his hands when it hits the ground. The rule says it is a catch if the ball hits the ground and posession is maintained. Like I said if you never see the ball physicallyat the end of the play not in his possession how do you overturn it? At the end of the play Gates has the ball again in his hand. In those screenshots one of his arms is blocked off by the camera angle (ask yourself could the ball be there, you cannot say yes or no), how do you overturn it? You can never see where the ball ended up.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He didn't maintain possession the ball came out the ground pushed the ball back into his hands. It was a drop.

16. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Geno threw a pick in the Bucs game..

I have absolutely no problem with the call there, Geno made a bad throw and it resulted in an INT. If it was a better throw it could have been caught, or it would have been incomplete. He could have also thrown it away.

17. zonebuster413

zonebuster413 Member

Well Belichick makes guys like Peyton Manning look like Mark Sanchez and I can only imagine Belichick adjusted after half time or as the game went on. Geno probably started losing confidence in his receivers as well as the game went along.

18. gopats88

gopats88 Member

You seem to be arguing that the ball came loose as it hit the ground, but was corralled back in before it hit the ground again.

That still isn't a completed pass.

You have to maintain possession through the process of hitting the ground. The first screenshot shows the ball in his hand(s) as it hits the ground. The second screenshot shows that the ball has clearly gone somewhere else. The ground clearly forced the ball to move relative to his grip on it. That movement constitutes a failure to "maintain control" and means that it was an incomplete pass even if the ground just knocked it out of his hands and into his arms. I think the other angles rule out this possibility anyways, but I'd have to look at them again to be sure.

I just responded to the entire list of complaints about officiating, and the Edelman fumble is the only call where Jets fans can even make a reasonable argument that it should have gone the other way. I thought it would be upheld, but the refs obviously felt differently, and they at least showed consistency by holding Thomkins' would-be TD to the same ultra-strict standards. So as far as I'm concerned, those calls were questionable but consistent and therefore fair. There might have been a couple of non-calls, but those happen in every game, and there was definitely at least one non-call on Cromartie that would have helped the Patriots. So no, I don't think Jets fans have a right to complain about the officiating.

19. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I love our DL and the LBs were good for the most part. The OL was better than expected. Other than that we need a lot of improvement.

20. reisb4

reisb4 New Member

Not that it matters because Mark will not take another Jets snap unless Geno implodes or is injured, but do you forget a stretch last year where Clyde gates was nyj #1 receiver with Holmes, kerley, Keller out and no running game?