Thoughts From Tonight's Patriots Game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mezzavo, Sep 12, 2013.

1. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Which just goes to show how flawed visual and memory based perception is. The eyes and the mind deceive.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You can point to a lot of reasons why the Jets lost the game. Notably dropped balls, but Brady had plenty of those too and close calls that didn't go our way, etc. But obviously the Patriots won the turnover game 4-0. On a wet field the Jets were unable to cause a fumble or get a pick despite a very good game on D. But to me the number one reason was the 3 picks by Geno. Esp the one when we were on the NEP 27 in field goal range. You can't blame those 3 picks on the receivers. As for Stephen Hill I think in the long run he'll be pretty good. He's a lot better than the Patriots receivers.

#202 pclfan, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

its probably just that it all seems so depressingly familiar.

great D, terrible O, the Jets screw themselves.

4. Understandable.

I truly believe it's different this time though. There really are brighter days ahead with or without Geno. A very young core w/ a lot of physically talented players all locked up,tons of cap space heading into next offseason & 7 picks in the top 100 in a class that appears to be LOADED w/ the offensive skill the Jets lack.

We will have some bright moments this season. This D is only gonna get better. While Geno lacks consistency, he also has moments of brilliance. There will be some very good weeks on this board. I'm extremely confident of that.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think we need to just call this what it is: a second round rookie quarterback playing in his second professional game on the road against one of the smartest coaches in NFL history. For three quarters he looked like a big boy. Obviously shitting your pants in the fourth quarter is not optimal. But again if you're looking at this for what it is, it was par for the course.

The receivers were just terrible. God awful. And no Geno wasn't putting every pass right in their chest but there are maybe five quarterbacks in the league who do that on every throw. A rookie quarterback is definitely not one of those people. What I love is how Brady was getting a pass because his receivers were dropping balls. But how many of those drops were worse than the ones from our receivers? How many more of those Brady passes were right on target then Geno's?

Luckily, these are all things that will come with experience. I think Damien Woody said it on Twitter, everything he saw from Gino are things that will correct themselves once the game slows down. He's obviously got the talent.

Honestly, just about the only thing I care about this morning is the health of Richardson and Wilkerson.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Do the Pats have a great D? Hard to tell from last night. Just as hard to tell if we had a great D last night or the week before. We played 2 O's that looked pretty out of rhythm and it wasn't all about our D.

7. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Perhaps because you are demeaning a man based solely on his appearance which is a result of a condition called vitiligo or most likely because you have no idea who he is in terms of his coaching responsibility. D-line which even though we are very stacked in terms of talent is the best unit we have on the whole team and producing consistently and will do for years to come.

Coach Dunbar also has a great resume as a player and a coach. Please takes some time to learn about our team and temper your hateful comments. I'll give you a pass and put it down to immaturity as opposed to outright hate

8. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

I thought the D tonight showed how good it can be. Aside from biting hard on the play action pass leading to the Pats TD they were solid and disruptive. Milliner remains a concern but Walls can fill nicely until he gets the game down

Ducasse was great in run blocking and his pass pro certainly improved so here's hoping this is the year he catches fire. Colon bothers me in terms of his fiery attitude. Some see that his smack in the mouth don't back down pulls the o line together but I can't remember the last time 2 players from one unit got ejected and Colon was the one breenging in (Scottish colloquilallism for getting in somebody's face)

Run game improving but why so much of the pass Marty?

Hill and Gates yuck even with poor weather conditions.

Geno is showing some poise however a number of his throws were off. Hopefully he'll pick it up from film and reps

Very disappointing we could not beat a very depleted Patriots and get a division game under our belts

9. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I think Smith did ok. It WAS pouring rain in the 2nd half and he connected on some really good throws during that time but just pressed it a little too much at the end.

10. impure

impure Well-Known Member

Geno underthrew basically every ball. Now i dont know if that was jsut an off night with his timing or something but it was pretty pathetic to watch. That last INT was nowhere near the receiver.

11. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

That's our "defensive genius" coach failing to adjust at half time yet again. Edelman was the only player doing anything the first half, and yet they went with the exact same coverage scheme in the second half. Way to go Rex!

12. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I thought Geno played pretty good. I agree with those who think they should have run the ball more. They were pretty successful with it.

The int when they were in FG range was the one really big mistake.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yup - he played OK all game up to that point without any bad rookie mistakes despite not getting much help from his receivers. Then at the worst possible time he turned it over when we were in range to tie it. Who knows if he even makes that throw if the receivers didn't already directly cost the Jets 17 points.

Hopefully he learns from this.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

did we allow a point in the 2nd half?

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

of course after 2 full games of smith the jury is still out but i can offer this....

he needs to run a bit more - pick ur spots like he did with the bucs. even the threat of a scrambling QB throws the defense into a pickle every now and then.

we need to see the wide open receivers start getting the ball. this will be a slow process but this time next year i do not want to see the same tunnel vision.

i can live with the occasional INT - hey look at eli manning - but u have to give me good NFL style, chain moving throws in-between.

who knows what the upside is? no one does - i would hope to see some improvement between now and december. that at least takes the QB heat off the jets in next years draft.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

No we did not

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

:rofl2:

I liked what I saw from the defense last night.

Geno made some good throws/plays. Hopefully he learns from this.

18. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

If kerley was healty we win the game

19. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I'll give you that, and we could debate how the weather and poor play from New England had a lot to do with it, but my point was that Ryan is notorious for not adjusting in game, and this was another example of it. I'm just some nobody watching the game from my couch, but even I can figure out that if the other team seems to have only one effective player, your concentration should turn to that player. Ryan is one of the poorest in game managers I have ever seen.

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Agreed, I'll take rookie mistakes because he'll learn from them unlike nacho but why did MM call that pass play when they were already in FG range? If you're going to call a play there make it an isolation play down the field where only the receiver catches it or it goes out of bounds.

A positive is that he knew to throw the ball away when there was nothing developing after he scrambled out of the pocket. Nacho still hasn't learned to do that.

Our tackles didn't exactly help him either. Yes he held onto the ball too long but the tackles have to do a better job. Geno will see the film and know he can step up in the pocket. Mangold, Vlad and Colon played well, that's a positive for him and the run game.