Thomas Jones "blasts" Favre: Daily News Article

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by babyknight, Dec 31, 2008.

1. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

Just saw this in the Daily News (I did a search and did not seem to be posted already but mods please delete this if I missed an earlier post): http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...thomas_jones_blasts_brett_favre_for_inte.html

Thomas Jones blasts Brett Favre for interceptions, says 'team doesn't like it'

BY RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, December 31st 2008, 8:40 PM

Brett Favre is worshipped by owner Woody Johnson and widely respected in the Jets locker room, but that doesn't mean he is immune to criticism. The first dose comes from an unlikely source - Thomas Jones.

Appearing as a guest Tuesday on New York's Hot 97 FM, Jones sacked his quarterback, hinting that Favre should have been benched during his three-interception nightmare in the season-ending loss to the Dolphins. That defeat, the final insult in an epic late-season collapse, may have sealed Eric Mangini's fate.

"We're a team and we win together ... but at the same time, you can't turn the ball over and expect to win," Jones said in a videotaped studio interview. "The other day, the three interceptions really hurt us. I mean, that's just reality. If I were to sit here and say, 'Oh, man, it's okay,' that's not reality.

"The reality is, you throw interceptions, I'm (ticked) off, I don't like it. You know what I'm saying? I don't like it, I know everybody else on the team doesn't like it."

At that point, the show's host, Angie Martinez, asked the AFC's leading rusher if teammates start to look "funny style" at a player that makes that many mistakes.

"If somebody is not playing well, they need to come out of the game," Jones replied. "You're jeopardizing the whole team because you're having a bad day. To me, that's not fair to everybody else. You're not the only one on the team."

"So it gets like that?" Martinez interjected.

"It definitely gets like that," Jones said. "You're playing to win, you're playing for the Super Bowl. That's what you do all this work for ... So when you get to the wire and somebody is just giving the game up, I mean, it's just not (fair)."

Ouch.

Throughout his up-and-down season, Favre never was ripped by Mangini or any of the players, at least not publicly. That the first shot was fired by Jones is a surprise, because Jones isn't a big talker. There might not be a more respected player in the locker room than Jones, whose teammates voted him the Jets' MVP.

For Jones to make those comments means that Favre's late-season slump chafed players more than they were willing to admit. During the Jets' 1-4 slide, Favre threw nine interceptions, finishing with a league-high 22 - the most by a Jets quarterback since Vinny Testaverde's 25 in 2000.

In fairness to Favre, he did play hurt over the final month of the season. A few days before the final game, he finally acknowledged what had been speculated for weeks, that his throwing shoulder was sore. On Tuesday, Favre had an MRI exam that revealed a torn biceps tendon that may require arthroscopic surgery, but not major surgery, ESPN reported.

Favre's December slump - perhaps the worst of his legendary career - played a huge role in the team's downfall. Nevertheless, Johnson has made it clear that he wants the 39-year-old to return in 2009.

Several players said they'd like him back, too, but they want him to participate in the offseason program with the rest of the team - in other words, no preferential treatment. But now, with a torn biceps, Favre has a medical reason to stay away as he contemplates his future.

2. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Wow. Interesting.

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

This is why i like Jones, and he is 100% right, if Jones comes in and fumbled the football 3 times then he gets taken out the game, Favre throws 3 INT and he is immune to critisism? not a chance, Jets fans called him out, team mates are calling him out, and this might be the final nail in the Favre coffin, him and the Jets are done.

4. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Id be pissed too if I was the leading NFL rusher and did all I could in possibly my last STRONG year in the NFL as a RB and it got washed away with a horrible month led by Favre

And Thomas Jones is a quiet enough dude who leads by example.....

5. babyknight

babyknight Well-Known Member

exactly how I feel. I have a lot of respect for Favre and everything he has done but looking at the future of the New York Jets organization, I am extremely concerned about the prospect of him being our starting QB in 2009.

Impossible to have had less confidence in a Jets drive than I did in the last few games when Favre got the ball.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No wonder I like TJ.

7. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

You know what, i think the other players felt exactly like you/me and the rest of the Jets fan base. We had no confidence in Favre leading a drive. I like Favre, he was one of the best QB's in NFL history, but the important word there is WAS. He really should just move on, i think only Woody Johnson want's him back with the Jets, i don't think the players want him to lead that offense.

8. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I'm glad someone on the team spoke out about this. I am on the fence about Favre coming back personally. I still think he can play and I think he could lead us to a good season. However, with a new coach I think the right thing to do would be to let that new coach pick a QB and run with him. I just think it's good that we, as fans, are learning how the team feels about Favre.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Good for Jones. Leadership is stepping up even what you have to say is not popular. If Favre comes back this is going to be a hell of a divided locker room next year.

10. Scottso

Scottso Member

I think you're right on here, and it's sad. Woody Johnson is not a football guy in the sense that he knows personnel, yet he wants to have Favre on the team because he thinks that Favre will make him money. There is no doubt that Mangini didn't want Favre, I knew that back in July when they first started talking about it. And it probably will become an issue with the Jets new coach. How can you tell a new coach that we want to give you the job, run the team, but oh yeah you have to start that 40 year old quarterback that throws all those interceptions and costs you games because he will make us money.

11. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Mid season BF was being treated like royalty around here.

12. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Thomas Knoes was my fanopurite non-jet when I was not a jet, so this makes sense as he is a great team player and speanking out for the team

13. CleanFernandez

CleanFernandez New Member

I agree with TJ he should have been benched, Favre basically ruined the end of the season for us.

14. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

Had a little fun this new years?

15. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

This carries 100X'x more weight coming from him than say, Coles. TJ never bitches about anything even when he had every right to, like last year.

I think Mangini was intimidated by Favre and Schotty definitely was. Not sure benching was the right answer, but Favre basically did whatever he felt like doing toward the end and threw the season down the tubes.

16. TDjoey

TDjoey New Member

Thomas Jones STFU. Thomas jones what did you do against Dolphins. 10 carrys for 23 yards. 2.3 yards per carry . Yea you have alot to talk about. Again STFU You clown.

17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

actually I htink what he said is VERY popular. Both amongst fans and more importantly the team

18. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

It was one bad game, not 5 terrible games in a row.. and throwing the game is 10x worse than getting stuffed at the line. Thomas Jones was exactly right regardless of how he performed. He knows if he doesn't play well he doesn't get the ball.. which is why Leon equaled him in carries.

19. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

It's just a polite way of saying

FAVRE IS NOT A GOOD PLAYER FOR THE JETS, AND THE TEAMMATES HATE HIM!

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Had to be done. If he wasn't the team MVP before this, he sure is now.