This team is a Hackett firing away from making me excited about 2024

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Kronoking, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

Joe D is having a good overall offseason, but the impact of fixing the O-line can only extend so far as long as the biggest elephant in the room remains.

This current plan in place to run the Hackett offense isn't going to happen inside the same bubble people keep putting around things like current WR2 need in relationship to it's projected utilization. Or how much better a 41yo Rodgers' QB play actual projects to be over a guy like Russell Wilson in 2024. Aaron Rodgers is at a point in his declining career that he needs the same coaching help Russell Wilson needed and didn't get in 2022. We already saw how that story played out.

I care don't how big of smile Hackett puts on Rodgers' face in practice. Trying to replicate the 2022 Denver Broncos is dumb. Keeping Hackett in place, running his offense in 2024, and allowing it to essentially hijack our season outlook should literally be deemed a criminal offense in the state of NY.

This has always been my problem with bringing him in. Until that concession is made and Hackett is gone I fully plan to boo Rodgers from the moment he steps out of the tunnel this year for exactly this reason. When week 1 rolls around and that built up bubble finally bursts, I just hope the ridiculous amount of simping on the guy evaporates away and those same people start doing similar.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This season feels like we're watching an episode of World's Wildest Police Videos and the tricked out Honda Civic carrying Joe Douglas, Bob Saleh, Baby Hackett and Meat Head is approaching 120 mph as it narrowly misses bridge abutments and spike strips.

We know how this ends and it's not putting a new set of Goodyears on the Civic for better mileage and safe driving.

And before anybody chimes in, yes I know that is physically impossible for a Honda Civic carrying Joe Douglas to approach 120mph.

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Only a Hackett firing away to get excited? Lol

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hackett is a charity case at this point.

Treat him as such.

5. Kronoking

Yeah, absolutely. Put a different offensive mind in that room and at bare minimum I can at least put my rose colored fan glasses on and cling to the "possibility" appeal of that change working out.

There is just no way to get there with Hackett.

6. Kronoking

Yeah...no. Not when the cost of that charity is a literal guarantee of another soul crushing season of never ending frustration while watching the product.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Aaron Rodgers won NFL MVP with Hackett as his OC in 2020 and 2021. Not that long ago. Jets fans need to understand this. Yes, the season would be ruined again if Rodgers gets hurt, but that is the choice the Jets made in March 2023. I’m fine with it too. Worth the risk.

8. abyzmul

With or in spite of? Rodgers won 2 other MVPs without Hackett. Hackett has done nothing but look like the dumbest guy in the room without Rodgers.

REVISion, NY Jets68, mattyd99 and 2 others like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In 2020 and 2021, Matt LaFleur ran the offense. The only running Hackett did was running to fetch the Gatorade.

10. Kronoking

I don't think there is ever been a guy that has been more exposed as a fraud then Hackett has in the never ending game of trying to steal coaches from other successful team scenarios and hoping you end up with a sticking piece of whatever made that all work.

The 2024 season season isn't being played out in 2020 or 2021, and there is no Matt LaFleur is that 2024 room carrying the coaching load. Punting away a season on a wishy washy hope that just retreats back into it's bubble the moment it might have to acknowledge something like the above is dumb. It shouldn't have to be this way.

This season could be so much more enjoyable then that.

mezzavo likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK where I read it - here, but don't which thread - I thought it was reported that Hackett was going to be given "new duties" and not be the OC. If they want to make him Rodgers' jock strap holder I don't care, but I agree, he can't be the in charge of the offense again.

#11 ColoradoContrails, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    NY Jets68 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear where you're coming from and agree that keeping the same staff was a mistake in terms of the big picture, but in terms of trying to make the playoffs this year, I'm not so sure that it would have been the right thing to do to start over with the CS, or even just the OC. What if the Jets couldn't find anyone who knew a similar version of the offense so that Rodgers and the whole offense didn't have to learn a new offense? That would have not been smart in an "all-in" year. We know that Woody isn't smart, and he probably never would have signed off on firing Hackett anyway. We just have to hope that Rodgers knows the offense and his limitations well enough, and will keep his ego in check and plays smart. He can audible out of every play that Hackett calls, and I recall that last season, Rodgers was suggesting some new plays/wrinkles for the offense.

At this point we just have to hope for the best. Maybe the Jets will get lucky for once, and everyone will stay healthy, Rodgers will play better than could be hoped for, and Hackett's damage will be minimalized in some form or fashion. If JD is able to sign Mike Williams and Clowney, and maybe one backup IOL before the draft, it will be hard not to be at least somewhat excited for the season.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think what you're remembering is that Saleh was considering involving Downing or other coaches with playcalling. To my knowledge, nothing definitive and final has ever been stated.

14. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The state of this organization is like Dan Synder and Al Davis had a baby. I seriously can't take it anymore.

mezzavo likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Let's hope the Jets OC last longer than 4 plays this season!

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The question I have is simply why?

I would kinda understand if his last name were considered NFL royality.

But I remember when his dad was OC under head coach Herman Edwards.

We didn't like his dad either. LOL

Jets79 likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I hated Paul Hackett as OC back in the day

I hated the Nathaniel Hackett hire as soon as I heard it and he’s done absolutely nothing to change my mind. And honestly, if AR stay’s healthy and we have a good year offensively, I STILL won’t believe it has much to do with Hackett as compared to Rodgers

NOVAJET, REVISion, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Jets are usually the off-season champions and most of the time it amounts to nothing. I will get excited about the Jets season when they start winning games in the regular season and show me, they can make the playoffs by either winning the division or as a WC.

jixxjr, Brook!, NY Jets68 and 3 others like this.
  19. abyzmul

I think we all learned a lesson about counting chickens last season.

Brook!, NY Jets68, Pepsiguy5 and 3 others like this.