This is an all out Superbowl push....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJ1970, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

We not even looking at any backups which is crazy to me. Wilson should be third string if anything, that’s how bad he’s been

NYJ1970 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Maybe Douglas, Saleh, and Hackett have better evaluation skills than you do. Or maybe they're only saying he's the #2 to try to prop up his value so they can trade him. But if they're being truthful, and really do believe he can eventually be the FQB they thought they drafted, why do you think you know better than they do? After all, their jobs depend on how they handle the Zach Wilson situation, whether they can get him to succeed, or whether they can recoup any decent value for him, so it's in their vested, professional, interest that they get this right.

Now if you've lost faith that they can do that, that's a bigger problem.

3. burf

burf Well-Known Member

Aside from any PR spin aspect, I suspect the key here is Hackett, as he's the new kid on the block.
    If he's had discussions with Zach, & has been working with him, and reported that there's improvement, and/or he thinks he can 'fix' Zach, that would give mgmt some optimism.
    I venture to guess, even those most down on Zach, would admit that the best case scenario for the Jets, would be if Zach somehow turned into a productive QB.
    I still think they'll be bringing in another QB, at the very least, to compete with Zach for #2.

papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Relax, he's second only to an empty chair.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

6. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Is that Big Ticket?

7. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

What I know is what I see with my own two eyes. Zach has been HORRIBLE. The statistically very worst QB in football over the last two seasons. So when I say he's done nothing to deserve to be 2nd string. That's true. Now, more than anything I think the Jets have made him 2nd string so he can work closely with AR and build up his confidence, which he has none of. But that still doesn't change the fact that what you and I have seen on the field (which is the ultimate measuring stick. Certainly not practice or weight room work.) is GARBAGE and Certainly not worthy of a promotion to 2nd string.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  8. NYJ1970

Thank you for those very deep words of wisdom sir......

Brook! likes this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Exactly the movie I had in mind when I wrote what I wrote. :)

NYJ1970 likes this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't think the ticket for speeding was very big.... which is metaphoric for a JETS SB push ;)

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

I respect your opinion, and always consider the opinions that differ from my own when shared by someone I respect. In that vein, I need to point out that what you - or I - "see with our own two eyes" isn't necessarily what Douglas & Co. see.

Beyond that, I'll only say that if all you saw of Zach these past two years was failure without any positives, then I understand why you think he's hopeless. From my perspective though I saw quite a few positives mixed in with the negatives, enough that, given the right coaching, system, and healthy supporting cast, he can becomes what most people thought he could be when he was drafted.

We continue to be at opposite ends of this debate.

burf likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Oh no! He's fat again!

13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I believe that picture is a year or two old lol.

14. NYJ1970

Well, I certainly hope Zach can turn things around. With that said the realist in me says no way. Performance on the field leaves no room whatsoever for a promotion to 2nd string and that's just a fact. Mike White, when he played, played WAY better than Zach. So when we lose our backup to the Miami Dolphins, what does Zach get a promotion simply because he's the last man standing? Because that's the only reasoning that could be behind it. Bottom line for me is I definitely want Zach to succeed but I want him to EARN it and he's done nothing of the sort.

15. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

That’s completely false. Their jobs at this point have nothing to do with Zach. Their jobs are hanging on Aaron Rodgers and making the playoffs and at least having a deep push into the playoffs, if not the SB. If Aaron Rodgers plays 2 years Zach is all but gone. If he plays one year then maybe Zach has a chance to prove himself here once more, but the only way this FO would be here if Rodgers only plays one year is if we win the SB this year. If Rodgers bails after a year and we’ve underperformed then Saleh and Douglas will be gone, and a new FO is not going to want anything to do with Zach. The only reason Zach is our #2 is because we’re going all out with Rodgers. There is no plan B, and the team is not devoting any money towards a plan B.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

oh so you're saying the jets overall team window is wider than the rams? cool even better.

17. ColoradoContrails

Maybe look at it another way. For example, what has Jordan Love done as a pro to deserve being elevated to replace Rodgers? There are reasons other than on field performance that come into play when making these decisions. Some of them aren't obvious to us fans.

18. ColoradoContrails

Yes, perhaps their jobs don't depend entirely on what happens with Zach, but that will be part of the assessment in the end. And yes, if Douglas and Saleh can't at least get them to the SB, if not win it, with Rodgers, that will be a bigger aspect of whether they keep their jobs. But my point still stands: Douglas & Co. have a deep vested interest in whether they can resolve the ZW issue successfully one way or the other, and so they are most certainly looking at him and whether he can deliver with a much sharper eye and with more information at hand than we fans.

19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Ok, let’s play every scenario-

Rodgers bombs next year and retires. Result- Douglas and Saleh fired. Zach has no consequence to them.

Rodgers plays 2 years. Result- Zach is a FA and he’ll be gone. Absolutely no consequence to Douglas/Saleh who may also be gone depending on how these 2 years go. Again, Zach had no consequence to them.

Rodgers wins the SB next year and retires. Result- Zach might get his second shot. If he bombs, Saleh and Douglas just won a SB and they’re not going to be fired. Zach will be gone and they’ll be drafting their next guy. Again, Zach has no consequence on them.

They have already suffered the consequence of Zach. They’ve been given one last chance to get it together by bringing in a HOF QB and demanding they win with him. If it fails, they’re gone. Zach has nothing to do with it. The only reason Zach is the #2 and not some other FA is because they’re not devoting a penny to plan B. There is no plan B, or more accurately this is plan B because their plan A (Zach) was an abject failure.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Dude, the owner of the Raiders came out saying he felt McDaniels and co overestimated the talent on the roster and that they needed the year to “see for themselves”. And now David Carr is gone. That’s damning.